|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.|
(Defense - Quality Control)
|Career highlights and awards|
|Honors:||Pac-12 South Division Champions (2012)|
Louis G. "Lou" Spanos is a football coach, currently serving as Defensive Coordinator for the UCLA Bruins football team. He was previously linebackers coach for the Washington Redskins and a defensive quality control and assistant linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Spanos attended to Keystone Oaks High School and played in the 1989 Big 33 Football Classic. A graduate of Tulsa University, Spanos was a four-year letterman and three-year starter at offensive center, he was the center for former Tulsa quarterback Gus Frerotte, he graduated in 1994.
Spanos stayed at Tulsa for a year after his playing career concluded to assist coaching the linebackers. He joined the Steelers in 1995. To the date, Spanos is one of only two assistant coaches to be on both the Super Bowl XXX, Super Bowl XL and Super Bowl XLIII coaching staffs, joining defensive line coach John Mitchell. On January 13 Spanos was hired by Mike Shanahan and the Washington Redskins to be their linebacker's coach.
Spanos and his wife Timme reside in Pittsburgh with their two sons, Zachary (8) and Caleb (5), and daughter Gabriella (3).
- Steelers assistant coach Spanos likes to keep ties to Keystone Oaks, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, September 20, 2007
- Q&A with Lou Spanos, Jimmie Tramel, Tulsa World, February 1, 2009
- Tomlin's coaching staff is complete, Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, January 30, 2007
- 1999 Coaching Staff, Steelers Zone, article undated
- Foster, Chris (January 17, 2012). "UCLA football: Redskins' Lou Spanos to be Bruins defensive coordinator". Los Angeles Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/ucla-football-redskins-assistant-lou-spanos-to-be-bruins-defensive-coordinator.html. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- Dulac, Gerry (January 13, 2010). "Steelers lose one defensive assistant, possibly another". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013/1027940-100.stm. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- "Lou Spanos (bio)". Pittsburgh Steelers. http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49269/. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
|Pittsburgh Steelers Defensive Quality Control coach
|Washington Redskins linebackers coach
|This biographical article relating to an American football coach is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|