This is a list of first overall National Football League draft picks. The National Football League draft is an annual sports draft in which NFL teams select newly-eligible players for their rosters. To be eligible, a player must be out of high school at least three years. Teams are ranked in reverse order based on the previous season's record, with the worst record picking first. As of the 2011 NFL Draft, a total of 76 players have been selected first overall. The current draft system has seven rounds, and in 2011, 254 players were selected in the draft.
List of first overall picks Edit
* From 1967–69 the NFL held a common draft with the American Football League, which merged with the NFL in 1970.
** Original #1 selection in 1986 was forfeited by the Cleveland Browns via the Buffalo Bills for selecting Bernie Kosar in the Supplemental Draft in 1985.
*** Original #1 selection in 1990 was forfeited by the Dallas Cowboys for selecting Steve Walsh in the Supplemental Draft in 1989.
- As of the 2011 NFL Draft, a total of 76 players have been selected first overall.
- The Baltimore / Indianapolis Colts have had the most first overall draft picks, with 6.
- Only four first overall draft pick players have been selected the NFL Rookie of the Year: Earl Campbell (1978); Billy Sims (1980); George Rogers (1981); and Sam Bradford (2010).
- A total of 12 first overall picks have been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- A total of 28 first overall picks have been Pro Bowlers.
See also Edit
- Mr. Irrelevant – the list of last overall National Football League draft picks
- National Football League Draft