NCAA Division I Football Bowl SubdivisionEdit
Rivalries involving more than two teamsEdit
|Game||Trophy||Teams||First meeting||Final meeting|
|Beehive Boot||BYU, Utah, Utah State||1971|
|Commander-in-Chief's Trophy||Air Force, Army, Navy||1972|
|Florida Cup||Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL)||2002|
|Michigan MAC Trophy||Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan||2005|
|Tobacco Road||Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest||1888|
NCAA Division I Football Championship SubdivisionEdit
Rivalries involving more than two teamsEdit
|Big Three||Harvard, Princeton, Yale||1877|
|Sgt. York Trophy||Austin Peay, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, UT Martin||2007|
Rivalries involving FBS and FCS teamsEdit
This list is restricted to rivalries whose participants are currently in different Division I football subdivisions, and have played one another while in different subdivisions. Most of these began when both teams competed in the same (sub)division.
In this list, the FCS team is in italics.
NCAA Division IIEdit
NCAA Division III Edit
|Game||Trophy||Team||Team||First Year||Latest Year||Meetings|
|Academic Bowl||Academic Bowl||Carnegie Mellon||Case Western Reserve||1986||2018||32|
|Admiral's Cup||Admiral's Cup||Maine Maritime||Mass Maritime||1973||2018||46|
|Backyard Brawl||Millsaps||Mississippi College||1920||2013||52|
|Baird Brothers Trophy||Case Western Reserve||Wooster||1984||2012||25|
|Battle For The Border Claw||Border Claw Trophy||East Texas Baptist||Louisiana College||2000|
|Biggest Little Game In America||Amherst||Williams||1884||2018||132|
|The Book of Knowledge||Carleton||Macalester||1898||2018||66|
|The Bridge Bowl||Bridge Bowl Trophy||Mount St. Joseph||Thomas More (KY)||1990||2013||18|
|Bronze Ball||Manchester (IN)||Anderson (IN)||1945|
|The Bronze Turkey Game||The Bronze Turkey Trophy||Knox (IL)||Monmouth (IL)||1888||2018||130|
|CBB Trophy||Bates, Bowdoin, Colby||1896|
|Cereal Bowl||Goat Trophy||Carleton||St. Olaf||1919||2018||99|
|The Chowder Bowl||SUNY Maritime||Mass Maritime||2007|
|Cortaca Jug||Ithaca||SUNY Cortland||1930||2018||76|
|Courage Bowl||Rochester||St. John Fisher||2005|
|Battle for the Wagon||Conestoga Wagon||Dickinson||Franklin & Marshall||1889|
|Cranberry Bowl||The Scoop||Bridgewater State||Mass Maritime||1978|
|Doehling-Heselton Memorial Trophy||Lawrence||Ripon||1893||2018||118|
|Dutchman's Shoes||RPI||Union (NY)||1886||2018||116|
|Edmund Orgill Trophy||Rhodes||Sewanee||1899||2018||86|
|Founders Trophy||Chicago||Washington (MO)||1933|
|The Goal Post||Juniata||Susquehanna||1952|
|Hoffman Cup||Merchant Marine||St. Lawrence||2003|
|I-94 Trophy||Wisconsin–Eau Claire||Wisconsin–Stout||2008|
|Tommie-Johnnie Game||The Holy Grail||St. John's (MN)||St. Thomas (MN)||1901|
|Johns Hopkins–McDaniel rivalry||Maryland Railroad Lantern||Johns Hopkins||McDaniel||1894||2018||97|
|The Game||Westminster (PA)||Geneva||1891|
|Gate City Soup Bowl||Greensboro||Guilford||1997|
|The Cuyahoga Gold Bowl||The Cuyahoga Gold Bowl Trophy||John Carroll||Baldwin Wallace||1921|
|Keystone Cup||Widener||Delaware Valley||1981|
|Little Brass Bell||North Central||Wheaton (IL)||1946|
|Little Brown Bucket||Dickinson||Gettysburg||1938|
|Little Three||Amherst, Wesleyan, Williams||1899|
|Maple Sap Bucket||Castleton||Norwich||2009|
|Mercer County Cup||Mercer County Cup||Grove City||Thiel||1983|
|Monon Bell Classic||Monon Bell||DePauw||Wabash||1890||2018||125|
|Occidental–Whittier||Myron Claxton's Shoes||Occidental||Whittier||1901||2018||110|
|Old Paint Bucket||Hamline||Macalester||1887|
|Old Red Lantern||Denison||Wooster||1989|
|Pynchon Saw Game||Pynchon Saw Trophy||Springfield College (MA)||Western New England University (MA)||2013||2017||5|
|Rocking Chair Classic||Mac-Jack Rocking Chair||Hamilton||Middlebury||1980|
|Oldest College Rivalry West of the Mississippi||Coe||Cornell (IA)||1891|
|The Game (Hampden–Sydney vs. Randolph–Macon)||The Game Ball||Hampden–Sydney||Randolph–Macon||1893||2018||122|
|The Regents Cup||Salisbury||Frostburg State||1973|
|Seafaring Scuffle||SUNY Maritime||Merchant Marine||2008|
|Secretaries Cup||Coast Guard||Merchant Marine||1949||2018||46|
|The Stagg Hat||Lycoming||Susquehanna||1993|
|Steven Dean Memorial Trophy||Catholic||Georgetown||1976||1993||18|
|Transit Trophy Game||The Transit Trophy||RPI||WPI||1894||2018||112|
|Lefse Bowl||The Troll (since 1974)||Concordia (Moorhead)||St. Olaf||1921|
|Victory Bell Classic||Victory Bell||Franklin (IN)||Hanover||1896|
|Wagon Wheel||Lewis & Clark||Willamette||1949|
|Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup||King's (PA)||Wilkes||1996|
|Wooden Shoes Rivalry Trophy||Hope College (MI)||Kalamazoo College (MI)||1910|
Longest continuous NCAA college football rivalriesEdit
Following are the longest active continuously-played series in NCAA college football. Many historic series were interrupted by the 1918 flu pandemic and World War II. More recently, other longstanding rivalries were terminated by the 2010–2014 NCAA conference realignment.
|Series nickname / Trophy||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Series leader||Notes|
|Lehigh–Lafayette||1897||The Rivalry||FCS||1884||Lafayette||Most played series in college football|
|Minnesota–Wisconsin||1907||Paul Bunyan's Axe||FBS||1890||Tied||Most played series in FBS|
|Clemson–South Carolina||1909||Palmetto Bowl||FBS||1896||Clemson|
|North Carolina State–Wake Forest||1910||NC State-Wake Forest rivalry||FBS||1895||NC State|
|Oklahoma–Oklahoma State||1910||Bedlam Series||FBS||1904||Oklahoma|
|Kansas–Kansas State||1911||Sunflower Showdown||FBS||1902||Kansas|
|Wabash–DePauw||1911||Monon Bell||Div. III||1890||Wabash|
|Iowa State–Kansas State||1917||Farmageddon||FBS||1917||Iowa State|
|Michigan–Ohio State||1918||The Game||FBS||1897||Michigan|
|Dartmouth–Cornell||1919||Cornell–Dartmouth football rivalry||FCS||1900||Dartmouth|
|North Carolina–Virginia||1919||South's Oldest Rivalry||FBS||1892||North Carolina|
|Purdue–Indiana||1920||Old Oaken Bucket||FBS||1891||Purdue|
- Note: The NCAA also lists as "continuous" the following rivalries interrupted by gaps during war years: North Carolina–Virginia (1910–16, 1919–current); Mississippi–Mississippi State (1915–42, 1944–current); Auburn–Georgia (1919–42, 1944–current); Tennessee–Kentucky (1919–42, 1944–current). Other rivalries were also interrupted during war years, for example: Harvard–Yale (1897–1916, 1919–43, 1945–present); Princeton–Yale (1876–1916, 1919–43, 1945–present); Miami–Cincinnati (1909–42, 1945–present); and Oregon-Oregon State (1912-1942, 1945-present).
Longest interrupted NCAA college football rivalriesEdit
Following are the NCAA Division I and II series that continued for the most consecutive seasons before being interrupted. Seven of the ten series on this list are interrupted rivalries from the old Big Eight Conference.
|Length||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Notes / reason for interruption|
|Nebraska–Kansas||1906–2010||105 years||FBS||1892||Longest continuous series in FBS until ended in 2010|
Ended by NU's move to Big Ten
|Texas–Texas A&M||1915–2011||97 years||FBS||1894||Ended by A&M's move to SEC|
|Oklahoma–Kansas||1903–1997||95 years||FBS||1903||Longest continuous series in FBS until annual play ended in 1997|
Ended by advent of Big 12 divisional play
Annual play resumed in 2011 with end of Big 12 divisional play
|Missouri–Kansas||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1891||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Missouri–Iowa State||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1896||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Nebraska–Iowa State||1921–2010||90 years||FBS||1896||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Kansas State||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1911||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Missouri||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1892||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Ohio State–Illinois||1914–2002||89 years||FBS||1902||Ended by Big Ten's change to non-round robin scheduling|
|Presbyterian–Newberry||1919–2006||88 years||Div. II||1913||Ended by Presbyterian's move to Division I|
- Most-played rivalries in NCAA Division I FBS
- List of NCAA Division III football programs
- Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy (top team in the Northeast)
- List of black college football classics
- College rivalry#United States
- ↑ Idaho returned to FCS in 2018, joining the Big Sky Conference.
- ↑ Alabama State and Tuskegee no longer meet in the Turkey Day Classic, but beginning in 2017 meet in the Marion Nine Invitational Labor Day Classic.
- ↑ "Akron to Open 2020 Football Season with Youngstown State" (in en). http://gozips.com/news/2019/2/13/akron-to-open-2020-football-season-with-youngstown-state.aspx.
- ↑ Kelley, Kevin (2019-04-22). "Indiana State to host Lindenwood in 2020, play at Ball State in 2023" (in en-US). https://fbschedules.com/indiana-state-host-lindenwood-2020-play-at-ball-state-2023/.
- ↑ "Texas State to host Nicholls in 2019, Houston Baptist in 2022". http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/02/texas-state-nicholls-2019-houston-baptist-2022/. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- ↑ Kelley, Kevin (2019-08-12). "WKU to play at Georgia in 2026, host EKU in 2024" (in en-US). https://fbschedules.com/wku-to-play-at-georgia-in-2026-host-eku-in-2024/.
- ↑ Next meeting September 19, 2020.
- ↑ Next meeting October 31, 2020.
- ↑ Kelley, Kevin (2019-04-10). "Syracuse adds Colgate to 2020 football schedule" (in en-US). https://fbschedules.com/syracuse-adds-colgate-2020-football-schedule/.
- ↑ Next meeting September 5, 2020.
- ↑ Key to the city first awarded in 2012.
- ↑ Rivalry ended after the 2006 season, with Presbyterian moving to Division I FCS in 2007.
- ↑ Coal Miners Pail Trophy first awarded in 2009.
- ↑ Miner's Bowl Trophy first awarded in 1986.
- ↑ Miner's Cup first awarded in 2002.
- ↑ Niagara Cup first awarded in 2004.
- ↑ Rivalry ended after the 2017 season, with North Alabama moving to Division I FCS in 2018.
- ↑ "The Ship's Wheel Trophy: The Battle of Lake Erie". http://lakeeriestorm.com/traditions/Ships_Wheel_Trophy. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- ↑ Teams first met in 1930. The first Top Dog Game occurred in 1971 when the Butler Bulldogs moved from the College Division to Division II, joining their cross-town rival UIndy (formerly Indiana Central) Greyhounds in the Heartland Conference. The series lasted until Butler moved to Division I FCS (formerly NCAA I-AA) in 1993. 1993 was the final time the teams met.
- ↑ Traveling Trainer's Kit Trophy first awarded in 1978.
- ↑ Mississippi College rejoined NCAA Division II in 2014, ending the rivalry.
- ↑ First awarded in 1998.
- ↑ "Mount St. Joe cancels Bridge Bowl". The Enquirer. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2014/04/03/mount-st-joe-cancels-bridge-bowl/7285361/. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- ↑ "Knights, Oles Meet with Goat Trophy, Cereal Bowl at Stake", Northfield News, October 9, 2004. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- ↑ The rivalry began between Pomona and Occidental Colleges. Pomona now operates a joint athletic program with Pitzer College, both being among the five undergraduate Claremont Colleges, with the joint program known as Pomona–Pitzer.
- ↑ This is the year the rivalry began. The Edmund Orgill Trophy was first competed for in 1954.
- ↑ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-12-06. https://web.archive.org/web/20121206024532/http://www.greensborocollegesports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/files/Gate_City_Soup_Bowl. Retrieved 2012-07-22.
- ↑ "Lantern stays in Granville after strong 2nd half". Denison. http://denisonbigred.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20150926pu15hs. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- ↑ The rivalry began between Pomona and another Claremont College, Claremont McKenna. As noted previously, Pomona now operates a joint athletic program with another Claremont College, Pitzer College, as Pomona–Pitzer. Claremont McKenna is now part of the Claremont–Mudd–Scripps athletic program along with two other Claremont Colleges, Harvey Mudd and Scripps Colleges.
- ↑ Georgetown joined NCAA Division I FCS in 1993, ending rivalry.
- ↑ "The Ugliest Rivalry Trophy In The Nation". Concordia (MN). http://concordiamn.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130919tnj1c2. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- ↑ "Team Records Game by Game". http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/incomplete_data/game_by_game_current.php?teamid=803&year=1921. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- ↑ Although King's had played Wilkes nine times before the establishment of the trophy, the first game for the Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup was in 1996, per King's College's preview of the 2009 game.
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 34.4 34.5 34.6 34.7 (English) NCAA's 2016 FBS Record Book, NCAA, http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2016/FBS.pdf, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 (English) NCAA's 2016 FCS Record Book, NCAA, http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2016/FCS.pdf, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) NCAA's 2016 Division II Record Book, NCAA, http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2016/D2.pdf, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) NCAA's 2016 Division III Record Book, NCAA, http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2016/D3.pdf, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State Series, cfbdatawarehouse.com, http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/o/oklahoma/opponents_records.php?teamid=2393, retrieved October 9, 2018
- ↑ Tramel, Berry (September 25, 2013). "Notre Dame Stadium an American treasure". Daily Oklahoman. http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-notre-dame-stadium-an-american-treasure/article/3886517. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- ↑ Olson, Kevin (December 2, 2014). "1910: The lost year of the Sunflower Showdown". The Manhattan Mercury. http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/the-lost-year-of-the-sunflower-showdown/article_02a38fa8-540d-5de7-aea1-6d6fcf9deb82.html. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- ↑ (English) DePauw v. Wabash Series, cfbdatawarehouse.com, http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/d/depauw/opponents_records.php?teamid=3399, retrieved October 8, 2014
- ↑ (English) Kansas State v. Iowa State Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/kansas-state/vs/iowa-state, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Virginia v. North Carolina Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/north-carolina/vs/virginia, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Nebraska v. Iowa State Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/iowa-state, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Nebraska v. Kansas State Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/kansas-state, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Nebraska v. Missouri Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/missouri, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Ohio State v. Illinois Series, winsipedia.com, http://www.winsipedia.com/illinois/vs/ohio-state, retrieved May 18, 2017
- ↑ (English) Presbyterian v. Newberry Series, cfbdatawarehouse.com, http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/bigsouth/presbyterian/opponents_records.php?teamid=2239, retrieved July 14, 2014
- ↑ (English) Presbyterian College series, Presbyterian College, http://www.gobluehose.com/fls/18100/SPORTS/football/history/2012fbyby.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=18100, retrieved July 14, 2014
- Weinberg, Steve (August 26, 2011). "Are college football rivalries getting out of hand?". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=azcentral&sParam=50142484.story. Retrieved 2011-09-05.