Hilliard with the Dolphins in 2011
|No. 36 New York Jets|
|Date of birth:July 30, 1984|
|Place of birth: Kalispell, Montana|
|High School: Kalispell (MT) Flathead|
|Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)||Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 6 / Pick: 204|
|Debuted in 2009 for the Miami Dolphins|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2012|
Lex Douglas Hilliard (born July 30, 1984) is an American football running back and fullback for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Montana.
Early years[edit | edit source]
Hilliard attended and played high school football at Flathead High School in Kalispell, Montana. During his sophomore year, he set a school record with 1,384 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns. During his time at Flathead, he was a three-time all-state and all-conference selection, as well as team captain his final two seasons. He finished his career with 3,419 rushing yards, 4,410 all-purpose yards and 44 touchdowns—all school records.
College career[edit | edit source]
As a true freshman at the University of Montana in 2003, Hilliard was originally going to redshirt but was activated for the second game of the season. His 590 rushing yards ranked ninth in the Big Sky Conference that season.
Despite starting just four games as a sophomore in 2004, Hilliard rushed for a team-leading 972 yards and 17 touchdowns on his way to earning first-team All-Big Sky honors. He posted five 100-yard rushing games during the season, and his 17 touchdowns were best in the conference.
Hilliard earned first-team All-Big Sky honors for the second straight season, as well as being named a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, as a junior in 2005 after rushing for 1,322 yards. His rushing total ranked 19th in the nation and second in school history behind only Yohance Humphery in 2001. He had six 100-yard games during the season, including a 237-yard performance against Cal Poly which was the second-highest single-game rushing total in school history.
Hilliard returned to the field as a fifth-year senior in 2007, appearing in 11 games for the Grizzlies. He rushed for 1,132 yards and 16 touchdowns on his way to second-team All-Big Sky honors. He topped the 100-yard rushing plateau seven times during the season.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
|2006||Did Not Play|
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Pre-draft[edit | edit source]
Following his collegiate career, Hilliard was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. At his Pro Day on March 19, he measured in at 5-foot-11¼ and 234 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds, short shuttle in 4.03 seconds and cone drill in 6.93 seconds. He also had a 36½-inch vertical leap and a 10-foot, three-inch long jump.
Miami Dolphins[edit | edit source]
Hilliard was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the sixth round (204th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. On May 19, he signed a four-year contract with the Dolphins. Viewed as a fullback/tailback hybrid, Hilliard stated he had no preference on where he played.
In the 2008 preseason, Hilliard finished third on the team with 68 rushing yards on a 2.8-yard average. He also caught three passes for 24 yards. On August 30, the team waived Hilliard during final cuts. He was re-signed to the practice squad the following day.
After spending the entire 2008 season on the practice squad, Hilliard was re-signed on January 5, 2009. In week 11 of the 2009 season Hillard was given the backup running back role behind Ricky Williams due to the foot injury to Ronnie Brown.
Minnesota Vikings[edit | edit source]
New England Patriots[edit | edit source]
On September 4, 2012, Hilliard signed with the New England Patriots. He was released on September 19, 2012. During his short tenure with the Patriots, Hilliard played in two games recording one rush attempt for two yards.
New York Jets[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Lex Hilliard". MontanaGrizzlies.com. http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/roster/xsl/detail_roster.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_roster_detail&id_record=1982&-max=1&-findhttp://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/roster/xsl/detail_roster.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=content_roster_detail&id_record=1806&-max=1&-find. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "TEAM:Roster Lex Hilliard Profile". MiamiDolphins.com. http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/roster/playerBio.asp?docid=33173. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "Career History". MontanaGrizzlies.com. http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/files/stats_content/Football_Men/2007/histcarr.htm#35. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "KFFL - Lex Hilliard, RB". KFFL.com. http://www.kffl.com/player/18692/nfl/news. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "Lex Hilliard Conference Call". MiamiDolphins.com. http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=5772. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "ESPN - NFL - NFLDraftTracker". ESPN.com. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12080&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d12080. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "Dolphins sign three draft picks, add two linemen". BaltimoreSun.com. http://www.baltimoresun.com/topic/sfl-flspnfl20sbmay20,0,2972114.story. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "Miami Dolphins : USAToday.com". USAToday.com. http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/clubhouse.asp?sport=nfl&majteam=MIA&line=116521. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- "Miami Dolphins 2008 preseason stats". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/statistics?season=2008&team=MIA&seasonType=PRE. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- "Dolphins Make Roster Moves, Pare Down To 53". MiamiDolphins.com. http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=6005. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- "Dolphins Awarded Three Off Waivers; Add Five To Practice Squad; Williams Extended". MiamiDolphins.com. http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=6006. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- Craig, Mark. "Chris Carr, Sage Rosenfels surprises among Vikings' final cuts". Star Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/168227606.html. Retrieved 01 September 2012.
- Orr, Conor (2 October 2012). "Jets sign free agent RB/FB Lex Hilliard". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 2 October 2012. http://www.webcitation.org/6B80LkhLQ. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
[edit | edit source]