|Born||May 21, 1894|
Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States
|Died||August 4, 1945(aged 51)|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||190 pounds (86 kg)|
|Honors||Canton Daily News: 1st team all-NFL (1923)|
GB Press-Gazette: 2nd team all-NFL (1923)
|* Pro Football Reference|
|Canton Bulldogs (NFL) |
Pottsville Maroons (AL)
Cleveland Bulldogs (NFL)
Frankford Yellow Jackets (NFL)
Larner Somers Gardner Conover aka "The Atlantic City Airedale" (May 21, 1894 – August 4, 1945) was a professional football player who played during the early years of the National Football League. After attending high school in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Conover attended Pennsylvania State University, where he served as the team's captain in 1917. Conover was the head basketball coach at Clemson for the 1921 season.
He made his professional debut in the National Football League in 1921 with the Canton Bulldogs. Conover played in the league for 4 years, playing for the Cleveland Bulldogs, Frankford Yellow Jackets and Canton. In 1922, Conover signed on to played with the then-independent, Pottsville Maroons. There he helped the Maroons become the top team in the Pennsylvania coal region. In 1924, Larry helped the Maroons win the Anthracite League championship. The following year, the Maroons joined the NFL.
- ↑ http://www.oldestlivingprofootball.com/19491940necrology.htm
- ↑ "PENN STATE IS AT WORK.; Football Prospects Are BrightMany Veterans to Return". The New York Times. 7 September 1919. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D05E7DD1F3BEE3ABC4F53DFBF668382609EDE.
- ↑ Bourret, Tim; Philip Sikes. "Former Head Coaches". Clemson 2010-11 Tiger Basketball Media Guide. p. 152. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clem/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2010-11_media_guide.pdf. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- ↑ http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Articles/Pottsville_Maroons.pdf
- ↑ http://home.comcast.net/~ghostsofthegridiron/Maroons_Atlantic-City_1924.htm
| This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Larry Conover.|
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with American Football Database, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.