| refer to caption |
Kyler Murray in 2019
|No. 1 – Arizona Cardinals|
|Born:||August 7, 1997|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Allen (TX)|
|NFL Draft:||2019 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics|
Kyler Cole Murray (born August 7, 1997) is an American football quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League (NFL). He previously played college football for the Texas A&M Aggies and Oklahoma Sooners. He also played as an outfielder for the Oklahoma Sooners baseball team. He won the 2014 Gatorade Football Player of the Year award as a senior in high school, and the Associated Press College Football Player of the Year, Davey O'Brien Award, and Heisman Trophy awards for his 2018 season with Oklahoma, in addition to numerous others.
He was drafted first overall by the Cardinals in the 2019 NFL Draft, as well as ninth overall by the Oakland Athletics in the 2018 MLB draft, making him the only player to ever be drafted in the first rounds of both sports.
High school careerEdit
Murray was born in Bedford, Texas, to Kevin Murray and Misun Henderson. He attended Allen High School in Allen, Texas. As a senior in 2014, he was the Gatorade Football Player of the Year. His team won three straight state championships and 43 games in a row. He missed one start during this streak and finished his career with a perfect 42–0 record as a starting quarterback.
Murray was ranked by ESPN, Scout.com, and 247Sports as a five-star recruit and the best dual-threat quarterback in his class. In May 2014, he committed to Texas A&M University to play college football and college baseball. He officially signed with them on February 4, 2015.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
| Kyler Murray|
|[[Allen, Texas]]||Allen HS||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||177 lb (80 kg)||4.5||May 28, 2014|
|Scout:75px Rivals:75px ESPN:75px|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 9 (QB) Rivals: 5 (QB) ESPN: 1 (Dual-threat QB)|
Murray also played baseball and was considered one of the top prospects for the 2015 Major League Baseball draft. In high school, Murray was a shortstop and a second baseman. He was the first player to ever be selected for both the Under Armour All-America Baseball Game and Under Armour All-America Football Game.
As a true freshman in 2015, Murray competed with Kyle Allen before the season for the starting quarterback position. Allen won the job, with Murray appearing in games as a backup (primarily on plays involving the wildcat formation). After the team lost two straight games in October, the competition was opened again prior to the South Carolina game, and Murray won the starting quarterback position. In his first start, Murray threw for 223 yards and rushed for 156 yards with a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown, making him and Cam Newton the only Southeastern Conference quarterbacks in the past 20 years to gain over 100 yards passing and rushing, including a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown in their first career start. On December 24, 2015, Murray announced that he was transferring to the University of Oklahoma. Per NCAA transfer rules, he had to miss the 2016 season.
In the 2017 season, Murray was a backup quarterback to Baker Mayfield. He got the opportunity to play in some games in relief of Mayfield. He made his season debut in the season opener against UTEP. In the 56–7 victory, he came into the game in the second half and finished 10-of-11 for 149 yards and a touchdown. Two weeks later, against Tulane, he hit all three pass attempts for 103 yards and a touchdown. On November 25, against West Virginia, he started the game after Mayfield had to sit out some of the game due to disciplinary actions in the previous game against the Kansas Jayhawks. In the game, he hit both pass attempts for 52 total yards and a touchdown while contributing 80 rushing yards on three carries.
Without Mayfield, Oklahoma considered Murray and Austin Kendall to start at quarterback in 2018. Murray was chosen as the starting quarterback. He threw for more than 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in the 2018 regular season. In December 2018, Murray was awarded the Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country, giving Oklahoma back-to-back Heisman winners. Murray helped lead Oklahoma to a Big 12 Championship and an appearance in the College Football Playoff. In the 2018 Orange Bowl, against Alabama, he had 308 passing yards and two passing touchdowns as the Sooners fell by a score of 45–34.
College football statisticsEdit
|Led the Big 12|
|Big 12 record|
|Led the NCAA|
Murray opted out of the MLB draft after deciding to attend Texas A&M. He was initially set to play as an infielder for the Texas A&M Aggies baseball team in the 2016 season until he announced his departure from Texas A&M on December 17, 2015.
Murray played for the Oklahoma Sooners baseball team in 2017 as a left fielder. He had a .122 batting average and six runs batted in (RBIs) in 27 games. In 2018, playing as a centerfielder, Murray batted .296 with 10 home runs, 47 RBIs, and 10 stolen bases.
Despite Murray's reported intention to continue his football career, the Oakland Athletics selected Murray with the ninth overall selection of the 2018 MLB draft. He signed a contract with the Athletics which includes a $4.66 million signing bonus. Prior to his junior year with the football team, Murray said that he would report to spring training in 2019 to begin his professional baseball career. However, following his Heisman Trophy-winning 2018 season, he would forgo his senior year and enter the NFL Draft. The A's retain his rights, should he return to baseball.
Some believed that Murray's pursuit of a football career at the expense of a potential one in baseball was a mistake because of his limited stature relative to a typical NFL quarterback. At the NFL Combine, Murray was widely expected to measure under his listed height of 5'10". Murray's final measurements were listed at 5'10 1/8" and 207 pounds, similar to that of Seattle Seahawks starting quarterback Russell Wilson. Despite not taking part in individual drills at the combine, many saw Murray's draft stock improve because of his greater than expected measurements. In contrast, NFL Network reporter Charley Casserly said that Murray had "the worst report I’ve ever heard on a top-ranked quarterback from the interview part of it", though Murray's agent disputed this report. Gil Brandt also questioned the veracity of Casserly's assertions.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP<th>Wonderlic</th>|
|5 ft 10⅛ in||207 lb28 1/2 in9 1/2 in||<td align="center">20</td>|
Murray was drafted first overall by the Arizona Cardinals in the 2019 NFL Draft. While at the same position for Texas Tech's football program, Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said that he would hypothetically spend the draft's top selection on Murray. The pick also made Murray the first player to be drafted in the first round of both the NFL and MLB drafts, the first time that two quarterbacks from the same university have gone in the first round in successive seasons with Baker Mayfield also being selected first in the 2018 NFL Draft and the first sub-six foot tall quarterback selected number one in an NFL draft.
Murray made his professional debut on August 9, 2019 in the first preseason game against the Los Angeles Chargers, where he completed 6 of 7 passes for 44 yards.
Murray's father, Kevin Murray, was a quarterback at Texas A&M from 1983 to 1986. His uncle, University of Texas alumnus Calvin Murray, is a former professional baseball player for the San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers, and Chicago Cubs. Murray is a second-generation Korean American, with his maternal grandmother being a South Korean national.
- ↑ Texas, Birth Index, 1903-1997
- ↑ "In the heart of Texas, Kyler Murray fans are rooting for an Oklahoma QB to win the Heisman" (in en). https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/06/heart-texas-kyler-murray-fans-are-rooting-an-oklahoma-qb-win-heisman/.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray presented National Gatorade Player of the Year award at surprise ceremony in Allen". High School Sports Blog. Archived from the original on June 27, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150627203800/http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/12/kyler-murray-presented-national-gatorade-player-of-the-year-award-at-surprise-ceremony-in-allen.html/. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray named Gatorade National Football Player of the Year". USA Today High School Sports. http://usatodayhss.com/2014/kyler-murray-named-gatorade-national-football-player-of-the-year. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ Fox Sports. "Allen QB Kyler Murray completes perfect career with third state title". FOX Sports. http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/allen-qb-kyler-murray-completes-perfect-career-with-third-state-title-122014. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray". yahoo.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyler-Murray-138389. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Scout Recruiting – National Signing Day Coverage, Latest Commits, Top Prospects and More Front Page". scout.com. http://recruiting.scout.com/player/174745-kyler-murray/analysis. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Top-ranked QB Kyler Murray commits to Texas A&M Aggies". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/10997032/top-ranked-qb-kyler-murray-commits-texas-aggies. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ Zac Ellis. "Kyler Murray, four-star QB recruit in the class of 2015, commits to Texas A&M". SI.com. https://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2014/05/28/kyler-murray-commits-texas-am. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 "Top-ranked A&M QB signee Kyler Murray opts out of MLB draft". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12833272/top-ranked-qb-signee-kyler-murray-opts-mlb-draft. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Star quarterback Kyler Murray officially signs with Texas A&M". Sports Update. http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/02/star-quarterback-kyler-murray-officially-signs-with-texas-am/#29395103=0&30271101=0. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray 247Sports Profile". October 30, 2015. https://247sports.com/Player/Kyler-Murray-24020?Institution=20589.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray Has Wild Journey To Become First Two-Sport Under Armour All-American". BaseballAmerica.com. http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/kyler-murrays-journey-chicago-armour/. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "MLB Draft might be the biggest hurdle in getting Allen QB Kyler Murray to Texas A&M". High School Sports Blog. http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/mlb-draft-might-be-the-biggest-hurdle-in-getting-allen-qb-kyler-murray-to-texas-am.html/. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Texas A&M's QB battle between Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray will begin soon". May 6, 2015. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/101306/texas-ams-qb-battle-between-kyle-allen-kyler-murray-will-soon-begin. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ↑ "Texas A&M names sophomore Kyle Allen starting quarterback". August 24, 2015. https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/24/texas-am-aggies-kyle-allen-starting-quarterback. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ↑ "Texas A&M turns to Kyler Murray at quarterback". October 30, 2015. http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/10/texas-am-turns-to-kyler-murray-at-quarterback/. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ↑ "A&M’s Kyler Murray pulls off rare SEC feat in debut". November 1, 2015. http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2015/11/01/ams-kyler-murray-pulls-off-rare-sec-feat-in-debut/. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ↑ "Former Texas A&M QB Kyler Murray signs with Oklahoma". https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-texas-a-m-qb-kyler-murray-signs-with-oklahoma-202030505.html;_ylt=A0LEVi3OVXxWSEwAJKJjmolQ.
- ↑ "UTEP at Oklahoma Box Score, September 2, 2017" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2017-09-02-oklahoma.html.
- ↑ "Tulane at Oklahoma Box Score, September 16, 2017" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2017-09-16-oklahoma.html.
- ↑ "West Virginia at Oklahoma Box Score, November 25, 2017" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2017-11-25-oklahoma.html.
- ↑ Brunt, Cliff (April 24, 2018). "Oklahoma still looking for QB to replace Mayfield". https://apnews.com/3021b8001ee64a3381de269290730e2a.
- ↑ "Finally, OU quarterback job is Kyler Murray's to lose". August 22, 2018. https://newsok.com/article/5605578/unique-circumstances-meant-murray-had-to-start-opener/.
- ↑ "Murray 2nd straight Sooners QB to win Heisman" (in en). ESPN. December 8, 2018. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25484945/kyler-murray-second-straight-oklahoma-quarterback-win-heisman-trophy. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- ↑ Wells, Adam. "Kyler Murray Throws 3 TDs, Oklahoma Beats Texas to Win 2018 Big 12 Championship" (in en). https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2808658-kyler-murray-throws-3-tds-oklahoma-beats-texas-to-win-2018-big-12-championship.
- ↑ Shields, Jack (December 2, 2018). "Oklahoma is in the College Football Playoff!". https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2018/12/2/18122208/oklahoma-sooners-football-college-football-playoff-alabama-orange-bowl-georgia-ohio-state.
- ↑ Kasabian, Paul. "Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama Beat Kyler Murray, Oklahoma to Advance to CFP Title" (in en). https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812993-tua-tagovailoa-alabama-beat-kyler-murray-oklahoma-to-advance-to-cfp-title.
- ↑ "Top QB recruit Kyler Murray says he'll play at Texas A&M, bypass MLB draft". May 6, 2015. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/top_qb_recruit_kyler_murray_sa.html. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- ↑ Aber, Ryan (June 5, 2018). "Sooners' Kyler Murray picked No. 9 by A's in MLB Draft, likely to continue football career". https://newsok.com/article/5596989/sooners-kyler-murray-picked-no.-9-by-as-in-mlb-draft-likely-to-continue-football-career. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- ↑ Cooper, Sam (June 5, 2018). "Kyler Murray says he will play football for Oklahoma in 2018". https://sports.yahoo.com/kyler-murray-says-will-play-football-oklahoma-2018-142209566.html.
- ↑ Trotter, Jake (June 5, 2018). "Sooners QB Kyler Murray chosen No. 9 by Oakland in MLB draft". http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23698545/kyler-murray-oklahoma-sooners-chosen-no-9-mlb-draft.
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Lee, Jane (June 15, 2018). "Two-sport star Murray comes to terms with A's". https://www.mlb.com/athletics/news/kyler-murray-signs-with-athletics/c-281361954. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray commits to pursuing NFL career and turns back on baseball". BBC Sport. February 11, 2019. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/47204411.
- ↑ "Murray off to NFL draft, but can still consider A's" (in en). January 14, 2019. http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25761371.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray says he's fully committed to becoming an NFL quarterback". February 11, 2019. http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25973188/kyler-murray-says-fully-committed-being-nfl-quarterback. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- ↑ Halley, Peter (January 18, 2019). "Kyler Murray is 'making a mistake' choosing football over baseball, according to Joe Theismann". NBC Sports. https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kyler-murray-making-mistake-choosing-football-over-baseball-according-joe-theismann.
- ↑ "Rob Parker: Kyler Murray is making a ‘colossal mistake’ choosing the NFL over baseball". FOX Sports. https://www.foxsports.com/watch/undisputed/video/1441235011717.
- ↑ Martinelli, Michelle R. (January 15, 2019). "Exactly how tall is Kyler Murray anyway?". https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/kyler-murray-nfl-draft-height-tall-oklahoma-football-baseball-size-oakland-a.
- ↑ Hull, Jonathan (March 5, 2019). "NFL Combine report: Kyler Murray wins just by stepping on a scale; Winners, losers of event". Wichita Falls Times Record News. https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/03/05/nfl-combine-report-kyler-murray-wins-just-stepping-scale-draft-winners-losers-position-by-position/3059353002/.
- ↑ Wilson, Ryan (March 5, 2019). "2019 NFL Draft: Kyler Murray, D.K. Metcalf, Jamel Dean win combine, Jachai Polite has bad week in Indy". CBS Sports. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-kyler-murray-d-k-metcalf-jamel-dean-win-combine-jachai-polite-has-bad-week-in-indy/.
- ↑ Tremel, Berry (February 28, 2019). "Kyler Murray wins the NFL Combine". The Oklahoman. https://newsok.com/article/5624351/murray-standing-tall-at-5-foot-10.
- ↑ Bieler, Des; Boren, Cindy (March 6, 2019). "‘The worst report I’ve ever heard’: NFL Network analyst crushes Kyler Murray". The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/06/worst-report-ive-ever-heard-nfl-network-analyst-crushes-kyler-murray/.
- ↑ Florio, Mark (March 6, 2019). "Kyler Murray’s agent unloads on Charley Casserly". Pro Football Talk. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/kyler-murrays-agent-unloads-on-charley-casserly/.
- ↑ Brandt, Gil (March 7, 2019). "About this Kyler Murray situation: 1) Only 1 team put him in front of white board. 2) The questions about leadership, study habits run counter to my experience w/ Kyler, who I've known since he was a HS soph. Have known his dad for 30 years. Honestly, it all sounds fabricated.". https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1103794668855156736.
- ↑ Patra, Kevin (April 25, 2019). "Kyler Murray drafted No. 1 overall by Arizona Cardinals". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027977/article/kyler-murray-drafted-no-1-overall-by-arizona-cardinals.
- ↑ Jones, Kimberly (March 5, 2019). "Quinnen Williams shows out; McSorley's comp; QBs are a puzzle". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021155/article/quinnen-williams-cant-miss-mcsorleys-comp-qbs-are-a-puzzle.
- ↑ Wilson, Ryan (January 10, 2019). "2019 NFL Draft: Here's why Kyler Murray should play in the NFL and pass on baseball". https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-heres-why-kyler-murray-should-play-in-the-nfl-and-pass-on-baseball/.
- ↑ Middlehurst-Schwartz, Michael. "Kyler Murray selected by Cardinals as NFL draft's No. 1 pick in historic move" (in en). https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/04/25/nfl-draft-2019-kyler-murray-arizona-cardinals-pick/3573590002/.
- ↑ Ouzia, Malik (April 26, 2019). "Kyler Murray makes history as Cardinals draft quarterback with No1 pick" (in en). https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/nfl-draft-2019-kyler-murray-makes-history-as-arizona-cardinals-select-quarterback-with-no1-pick-a4126921.html.
- ↑ "Kevin Murray College Stats" (in en). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kevin-murray-1.html.
- ↑ "Allen's Kyler Murray follows in dad's footsteps at A&M". May 28, 2014. http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/08/21/14219360/.
- ↑ "Kevin Murray has gone from one-time A&M star to Dallas-Fort Worth's elite quarterback coach". dallasnews.com. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/football-news/headlines/20131116-kevin-murray-has-gone-from-one-time-am-star-to-dallas-fort-worth-s-elite-quarterback-coach-with-a-client-list-to-prove-he-may-be-the-best.ece. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- ↑ "Kyler Murray dishes about his dodgeball, The Streak and being a road warrior". usatodayhss.com. December 8, 2014. https://usatodayhss.com/2014/gatorade-football-poy-kyler-murray-qa. Retrieved December 27, 2018.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube
- Oklahoma Sooners bio
- Arizona Cardinals bio