| refer to caption |
Kalis with the Redskins in 2018
|No. 68 – Cleveland Browns|
|Position:||Offensive guard / Center|
|Born:||December 21, 1993|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||306 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Lakewood (OH) St. Edward|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Kyle Brockton Kalis (born December 21, 1993) is an American football guard and center for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He was selected as a first-team All-American by Sports Illustrated and Parade magazine during his senior year in high school, as well as the number one recruit in Ohio for the class of 2012. He became one of the top recruits in the 2012 college football recruiting class. Kalis played college football for the Michigan Wolverines, where he went on to start 47 games at right guard. He was signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2017.
Kalis is the son of Todd Kalis, an offensive lineman who played eight years in the NFL with the Vikings, Steelers and Bengals. He was the only freshman on the varsity football team at Seneca Valley High School in Harmony, PA. He played the remainder of his high school football career at St. Edward High School in Lakewood Ohio near Bay Village, where he lived with his mother, Stephanie Garvin Schwarz. In December 2011, he was one of five offensive linemen selected by Sports Illustrated for its high school football All-America first team. In January 2012, he was also named to Parade magazine and U.S. Army All-American football teams. He was one of six finalists for the Anthony Munoz Lineman of the Year Award, presented to the best high school lineman in the United States.
Kalis was one of the top-rated recruits in the 2012 college football recruiting class. He was rated as a five-star prospect by both Rivals.com and Scout.com. He was also a finalist for the U.S. Army Player of the Year award. He was rated as the No. 1 prospect from Ohio and the No. 4-ranked offensive tackle in the United States by Rivals.com.
In September 2010, Kalis verbally committed to Ohio State. In July 2011, Kalis switched his commitment from Ohio State to Michigan in the wake of a memorabilia-for-gifts scandal that led to the resignation of head coach Jim Tressel.
Kalis conveyed his commitment to Michigan head coach Brady Hoke from the "M" logo at the middle of the field at Michigan Stadium. He also told reporters, "I believe the Michigan-Ohio border is now open. I think you're going to see eight or nine guys from the state of Ohio going over to Michigan this year." Unfortunately for Kalis, he and his Wolverine team never beat Ohio State the entire time Kalis was enrolled. Kalis's comments incited an angry reaction from Ohio State fans. Kalis became the subject of threats from Ohio State fans. Kalis commented on the threats as follows: ""There are really a lot of stupid people out there. I'd get people telling me they were going to come to my house with bats to tear my ACL. I got plenty of threats, even a few death threats. I gave my address out to about 20 people and told them to come find me. Nobody came."
Kalis enrolled at the University of Michigan in 2012. In late August 2012, the International Business Times selected Kalis as one of the five best incoming freshmen in the Big Ten Conference. He played for the Wolverines from 2013 to 2016. Following the 2016 season, Kalis was named to the All-Big Ten offensive second-team, by both the coaches and media, and was named a Second-Team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.
After going undrafted in the 2017 NFL Draft, Kalis signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent on May 4, 2017. On September 2, 2017, he was waived by the team and was signed to the practice squad the next day.
On October 3, 2017, Kalis was signed by the Indianapolis Colts off the Redskins' practice squad. He soon earned playing time and saw his first offensive game action against the Bengals, starting the second half. He went on to start 2 more games, against the Texans, and the Steelers. He was waived/injured by the Colts on December 2, 2017.
Washington Redskins (second stint)Edit
On December 4, 2017, Kalis was claimed off waivers by the Redskins, where he then remained inactive for the last 4 games of the season.
On September 1, 2018, Kalis was waived for final roster cuts before the start of the 2018 season.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Kyle Kalis profile". University of Michigan. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kalis_kyle00.html.
- ↑ Stephanie Garvin Schwarz
- ↑ "St. Edward football player Kyle Kalis honored by Sports Illustrated". Cleveland Plain Dealer. December 19, 2011. http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/5742692676337418253/st-edward-football-player-kyle-kalis-honored-by-sports-illustrated-high-school-newswatch/.
- ↑ Warsinskey, Tim (January 13, 2012). "St. Edward offensive lineman Kyle Kalis named to Parade Magazine's All-American team". Cleveland Plain Dealer. http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/7148638401590045879/st-edward-offensive-lineman-kyle-kalis-named-to-parade-magazines-all-american-team/.
- ↑ Wilkerson, William (January 3, 2012). "Kyle Kalis on the move yet again: Kalis' new position and Mike Davis' new leader highlight the East Team Army notes". ESPN.com. http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7418787/army-all-american-kyle-kalis-move.
- ↑ "St. Edward lineman Kyle Kalis finalist for Anthony Munoz Lineman of the Year award". Cleveland Plain Dealer. December 21, 2011. http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/1706343270799163412/st-edward-lineman-kyle-kalis-finalist-for-anthony-munoz-lineman-of-the-year-award/.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (November 28, 2011). "Prized Michigan football recruit, ex-OSU commit Kyle Kalis not swayed by Urban Meyer hire". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/prized-michigan-football-recruit-ex-osu-commit-kyle-kalis-not-swayed-by-urban-meyer/#.UEBGHNaPW5I.
- ↑ Warsinskey, Tim (September 23, 2010). "St. Edward junior offensive lineman Kyle Kalis commits to Ohio State". http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/4537433060623728028/st-edward-junior-offensive-lineman-kyle-kalis-commits-to-ohio-state/.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Schad, Joe (July 12, 2011). "Kyle Kalis now headed to Michigan". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6757559/ohio-state-buckeyes-2012-recruit-kyle-kalis-now-headed-michigan-wolverines.
- ↑ Rezler, Rich (July 10, 2011). "Reports say former Ohio State football recruit Kyle Kalis has switched to Michigan". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/reports-say-former-ohio-state-football-recruit-kyle-kalis-has-switched-to-michigan/#.UEBDFtaPW5I.
- ↑ "Michigan lures five-star OL prospect Kyle Kalis from Ohio State". USA Today. July 11, 2011. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/07/ohio-state-michigan-kyle-kalis-recruiting/1#.UEBJAtaPW5I.
- ↑ Rogers, Justin (February 1, 2012). "University of Michigan recruit Kyle Kalis still unsure whether he'll play tackle or guard". mlive.com. http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2012/02/university_michigan_recruit_ky.html.
- ↑ Maxse, Joe (July 11, 2011). "St. Edward senior Kyle Kalis, who recently rescinded oral commitment to Ohio State, commits to Michigan". Cleveland Plain Dealer. http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/07/st_edward_senior_kyle_kalis_wh.html.
- ↑ Jennings, Chantel (November 21, 2011). "Kalis won't be swayed from U-M: Ohio prospect's decommitment rankled Buckeye Nation, new pledge didn't help". AnnArbor.com. http://insider.espn.go.com/colleges/michigan/football/recruiting/story/_/id/7264520/kyle-kalis-talks-michigan-wolverines.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (July 21, 2011). "Michigan football commit Kyle Kalis talks about the whirlwind surrounding his recruitment". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/michigan-football-commit-kyle-kalis-talks-about-the-whirlwind-surrounding-his-recruitment/#.UEBKb9aPW5I.
- ↑ Smith, Cameron (January 24, 2012). "OSU fans threaten Michigan recruit, he calls for ‘blood on the field’". Yahoo Sports. https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/osu-fans-threaten-michigan-recruit-calls-blood-field-130318050.html.
- ↑ "Ohio native Kyle Kalis threatened for verbal commitment to Michigan". It's Always Sunny In Detroit. January 2012. http://itsalwayssunnyindetroit.com/2012/01/ohio-native-kyle-kalis-threatened-for-verbal-committment-to-michigan/.html.
- ↑ Cowherd, Colin (May 30, 2012). "Michigan Recruit Burns Letter From Ohio State". ESPN.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NauWnFH3tw.
- ↑ Warber, Kyle (January 19, 2012). "Ohio native Kyle Kalis faces threats for verbally committing to Michigan". mlive.com. http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2012/01/michigan_wolverines_links_125.html.
- ↑ Novak, Thad (August 24, 2012). "5 Best Incoming Big Ten Freshmen". International Business Times. http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/college/5-best-incoming-big-ten-freshmen_1070.htm.
- ↑ Baumgardner, Nick (August 14, 2012). "Michigan freshman Kyle Kalis competing at left guard, staff still not afraid to play rookies". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigan-freshman-kyle-kalis-competing-at-left-guard-staff-says-its-not-afraid-to-play-rookies/#.UEBEStaPW5I.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (July 23, 2012). "Michigan football over-under: Will Kyle Kalis be the Wolverines' 1st freshman OL to play since 2006?". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigan-football-over-under-will-kyle-kalis-be-the-wolverines-1st-freshman-ol-to-play-since-2006/#.UEBJ_daPW5I.
- ↑ "All-America Honors: AFCA Picks Four from Michigan". MGoBlue.com (CBS Interactive). December 14, 2016. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120816aaf.html. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- ↑ Czarda, Stephen (May 4, 2017). "Redskins Sign Eight College Free Agents". Archived from the original on September 11, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170911022010/http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Sign-Eight-College-Free-Agents/9efbff6f-af0d-48d0-894b-f202fd3a859c.
- ↑ "9/2: Redskins Make Roster Moves". September 2, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170905031831/http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/92-Redskins-Make-Roster-Moves/ec94fade-58e8-4d11-a499-b8317f337ae0.
- ↑ Czarda, Stephen (September 3, 2017). "Redskins Sign Seven Players To The Practice Squad". Archived from the original on February 1, 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180201045708/http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Sign-Seven-Players-To-The-Practice-Squad/19305edb-622d-448e-b778-56d00c2a8e2c.
- ↑ "Colts Sign OL Kalis, Person; Place Bond On IR". October 3, 2017. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20171109160355/http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Sign-OL-Kalis-Person-Place-Bond-On-IR/ef895438-5ef6-415b-b08e-5935dc7c61d0.
- ↑ "Roster Moves: Colts Elevate WR K.J. Brent, C Anthony Fabiano To Active Roster". December 2, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20171203113742/http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Roster-Moves-Colts-Elevate-WR-KJ-Brent-C-Anthony-Fabiano-To-Active-Roster/0fb4430e-3ed1-4f5c-ae3b-86f3d9138292.
- ↑ Czarda, Stephen (December 4, 2017). "Redskins Sign Wide Receiver Robert Davis To The Active Roster, Claim Kyle Kalis Off Waivers". https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-sign-wide-receiver-robert-davis-to-the-active-roster-claim-kyl-19905306.
- ↑ "9/1: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. September 1, 2018. https://www.redskins.com/news/9-1-redskins-make-roster-moves. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- ↑ "Browns announce 11 practice squad players". September 3, 2018. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-announce-11-practice-squad-players.
- ↑ "Browns elevate OL Kyle Kalis to active roster". December 1, 2018. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-elevate-ol-kyle-kalis-to-active-roster.