|Wide receiver / Defensive back|
|Date of birth:March 29, 1975|
|Place of birth: Pasadena, California|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Portland Forest Dragons (1999)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at ArenaFan.com|
Kusanti Abdul-Salaam, birth name Andy Colbert, (born March 29, 1975) is a former Arena Football wide receiver/defensive back who played for the Portland Forest Dragons, Oklahoma Wranglers, Tampa Bay Storm and Georgia Force. He played college football at UCLA.
Highschool[edit | edit source]
Kusanti attended John Muir High School. He lettered in football where he played quarterback and defensive back, track where he was a sprinter and hurdler, and basketball where he played point guard. He received a full scholarship to UCLA.
Name change[edit | edit source]
After a 35–17 loss to Arizona Andy Colbert changed his name to Kusanti Abdul-Salaam due to his conversion to the Islamic faith. The name literally means: "He that is servant of Allah, with peace and salvation."
Post career[edit | edit source]
After college Abdul-Salaam went to Denmark to play professional football. In Denmark he played Runningback, Wide Receiver, and Defensive Back.
Portland Forest Dragons[edit | edit source]
Kusanti played for the Portland Forest Dragons in 1999.
Oklahoma Wranglers[edit | edit source]
Georgia Force[edit | edit source]
Personal[edit | edit source]
Kusanti graduated with a B.A. in History. He works as a barber and also provides home health care for the handicap. He is currently working to become a professor in History. In 2008, he began coaching for the Pasadena Polytechnical School.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Kusanti Abdul-Salaam". ArenaFan.com. http://www.arenafan.com/players/Kusanti_Abdul-Salaam-1996/. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- ART THOMPSON: The Orange,County Register. (1996, Nov 17). Bruin not afraid to name names // UCLA NOTES: Kusanti abdul-salaam, who changed his name from andy colbert last week, blames himself after blown coverage. Orange County Register, pp. c.06-c.06.
- -, R. H. (2001, May 26). Avengers vs. oklahoma. Daily News, pp. S.12-S12.
- Holcomb, T. (2001, Dec 11). PRO FOOTBALL: ARENA FOOTBALL: Atlanta gets 2-way lineman with top pick. The Atlanta Journal the Atlanta Constitution, pp. C.5-C.5
- "Polytechnic School, a K-12, coed day school in Pasadena, CA". Polytechnic.org. http://www.polytechnic.org/athletics/teams/default.asp?teamid=74439&level=&yearid=2009+-+2010&Name=false. Retrieved 2012-05-27.