|Date of birth:May 19, 1988|
|Place of birth: Sacramento, California|
|Undrafted in 2010|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New York Jets ( 2010)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* First-team All-WAC (2008)|
Early years[edit | edit source]
Basped was born in Sacramento and was raised by father Frances Basped and adoptive mother Kathy Navarro. He attended Florin High School where he played football as a defensive end and tight end. As a senior in 2005, he recorded 18 tackles, 15 receptions for 259 yards, three fumble recoveries, and one blocked punt. He also competed in track & field.
College career[edit | edit source]
At the University of Nevada, Basped sat out the 2006 season as a redshirt. In 2007, he saw action in 13 games including five starts. He recorded 50 tackles, 4.0 sacks, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. He ranked sixth in the Western Athletic Conference in tackles for loss with 11.5.
In 2008, Nigel Burton took over as Nevada's defensive coordinator and instituted a 4–3 scheme. The new system relied on the speed of Basped and fellow defensive lineman Dontay Moch to penetrate from the edge. That season, Basped saw action in all 13 games, where he recorded 50 tackles (35 solo and 18.5 for loss), 10.0 sacks, three broken-up passes, and three forced fumbles. Basped finished the season tied for 21st in the nation in number of quarterback sacks. The Western Athletic Conference (WAC) named him a first-team All-WAC defensive lineman.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
New York Jets[edit | edit source]
Basped was projected to be taken in the 5th–7th round in the 2010 NFL Draft. He went undrafted and signed with the New York Jets on April 27. He was waived on August 8. In the HBO reality show Hard Knocks, the Jets coaches explain to Kevin that his oft-injured knees were too much of a concern to take him on.
Spokane Shock[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Kevin Basped Bio, University of Nevada Athletics, retrieved January 25, 2009.
- Kevin Moody, Moch and Basped locked and loaded for Wolf Pack, Nevada Appeal, August 24, 2008, retrieved January 25, 2009.
- 2008 Cumulative Season Statistics, Official Web Site of University of Nevada Athletics, retrieved January 25, 2009.
- Pass Sacks, Bowl Subdivision (FBS) National Player Report, National Collegiate Athletic Association, January 8, 2009, retrieved January 25, 2009.
- All-WAC Football Teams Announced, Western Athletic Conference, December 1, 2008, retrieved January 25, 2009.
- "SHOCK ASSIGNED QUENTIN SCOTT AND KEVIN BASPED". spokaneempire.com. December 20, 2013. Archived from the original on August 23, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160823124305/http://spokaneempire.com/news/?article_id=1421. Retrieved August 23, 2016.