| refer to caption |
At a game in Denver in September 2010.
|No. 96, 95, 99, 93|
|Born:||October 15, 1986|
Ahoskie, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||317 lb (144 kg)|
|High school:||Weldon (NC)|
|NFL Draft:||2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 29|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics|
Kentwan Balmer (born October 15, 1986) is a former American football defensive end. He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft with the 29th overall pick. He played college football at University of North Carolina.
He is currently the Assistant Head Football Coach/Defensive Coordinator at Virginia University of Lynchburg.
Balmer started all twelve games at right defensive tackle as a senior, ranking second on the team with 59 tackles (33 solos), including 3.5 sacks for minus 26 yards, 9.5 stops for losses of 44 yards and twenty four quarterback pressures. In 2005, he played 11 games with three starts and 17 tackles (5 for a loss) and 1 sack. As a freshman, he played in nine games and made one tackle.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 4½ in||308 lb||5.11 s||1.80 s||2.99 s||4.82 s||7.65 s||29 in||8 ft 7 in||33 rep|
San Francisco 49ers
Balmer was selected in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft, 29th overall. He was originally drafted as a DT but was moved to DE due to the Niners 3-4 defensive scheme.
On December 9, 2009, Balmer was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. The 49ers later signed Baraka Atkins to take over his position.
Balmer was traded to the Seattle Seahawks on August 16, 2010 in exchange for a sixth round pick in a future NFL Draft. He was waived on August 24, 2011.
On August 25, Balmer was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers. However, he was waived on September 1.
Balmer signed with the Washington Redskins on November 8, 2011. On August 2, 2012, it was reported that he did not show up to training camp two days in a row and his agent has not replied to any inquiries as to Balmer's whereabouts. It was assumed that, Balmer left the team after Redskins officials checked his hotel room and saw that all of Balmer's personal effects were gone. Head coach Mike Shanahan announced that the team had finally made contact with Balmer on August 11, but did not explain the reason for his disappearance or his future with the Redskins.
Nearly two years after he walked away from the team, the Redskins officially terminated his contract on May 30, 2014.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
Balmer went to Weldon High School in Weldon,North Carolina, where he played a variety of sports and which is where he decided to go back to and retired his jersey.
Balmer grew up rooting for the 49ers and his father, Charles Balmer, was a 49ers fan.
- Jones, Mike (August 2, 2012). "Redskins training camp: Still no word on Kentwan Balmer’s whereabouts". WashingtonPost.com. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-training-camp-still-no-word-on-kentwan-balmers-whereabouts/2012/08/02/gJQANqv4RX_blog.html. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- El-Bashir, Tarik (August 2, 2012). "Balmer 'decided to leave'". CSNWashington.com. http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/redskins-talk/Balmer-decided-to-leave?blockID=750413&feedID=10316. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Alper, Josh (August 12, 2012). "Redskins locate Kentwan Balmer". NBCSports.com. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/12/redskins-locate-kentwan-balmer/. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- Carroll, Chuck (June 2, 2014). "2 Years Later, Redskins Officially Cut Balmer". CBSDC.com. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/06/02/2-years-later-redskins-officially-cut-kentwan-balmer/. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Kentwan Balmer Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11263/kentwan-balmer. Retrieved 26 February 2015.