Beachum with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013
|Date of birth:June 8, 1989|
|Place of birth: Mexia, Texas|
|College: Southern Methodist|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 248|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Pittsburgh Steelers ( 2012– 2015)|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Kelvin Lee Beachum Jr. (born June 8, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at SMU, and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the seventh round (248th overall) of the 2012 NFL draft. He has also played for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Beachum played offensive left tackle at Southern Methodist University (SMU). He was a four-year starter for the Mustangs and competed in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. He played alongside Josh LeRibeus later picked in the third round of the NFL Draft by the Redskins.
Coming out of college, Beachum was projected to by the majority of analysts to be selected in the seventh round or be a priority undrafted free agent. He was ranked as the 24th best offensive guard although he played tackle in college. Many analysts and scouts were conflicted on his position due to his height. Beachum was invited to the NFL Combine as an offensive tackle and was able to complete all the drills and positional workouts. On May 14, 2012, he participated at SMU's Pro Day and decided to only do the bench. Although he lacked size for an offensive tackle, scouts did compliment his lateral movement and quickness off the ball.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2⅞ in||303 lb33¼ in9⅜ in||5.44 s||1.85 s||3.12 s||4.80 s||7.79 s||28½ in||8 ft 5 in||19 reps|
The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Beachum in the seventh round (248th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. He was the 20th and last offensive tackle taken and was the third offensive lineman drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the draft.
On May 10, 2012, the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Beachum to a four-year, $2.14 million contract with a signing bonus of $49,816.
He entered training camp competing with Max Starks, Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, and Chris Scott for a starting offensive tackle position. The Steelers named him the third left tackle on their depth chart behind Max Starks and Mike Adams to begin the regular season.
On September 23, 2012, Beachum made his professional regular season debut in a 34-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders. On November 18, 2012, he earned his first career start at right tackle in a 13-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens after Marcus Gilbert was placed on injured reserve with torn tendons in his ankle and backup Mike Adams had an ankle injury. He finished his rookie season with a total of five starts in seven games, played 314 offensive snaps, and earned a -2.8 grade from Pro Football Focus. Beachum was graded -2.9 in pass blocking after allowing 18 pressures on 205 pass blocking snaps.
With the departure of Max Starks, Beachum entered training camp competing for the vacant left tackle position with Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams. He was named the backup to starting right tackle Gilbert and starting left tackle Adams to begin the regular season. He earned his first official start of the season in the Pittsburgh Steeler's season-opener, beginning the game as a tight end, during a 16-9 loss to the Tennessee Titans. During a Week 6 matchup against the Tennessee Titans, Beachum was named the starting left tackle in place of Mike Adams and remained the starter for the remainder of the season. Beachum finished the 2013 season with 12 starts in 15 games and played 840 offensive snaps, earning an -0.4 grade from Pro Football Focus.
Beachum entered the regular season in 2014 as the Pittsburgh Steeler's de facto starting left tackle. He finished his third season starting all 16 regular season games and was ranked the fifth best left tackle by Pro Football Focus. He also earned the fifth highest grade among tackles, finishing with a +21.7 overall grade from PFF and a 97.5 grade in pass blocking efficiency. Beachum finished third in pass blocking efficiency, behind only Andrew Whitworth and Joe Thomas.
Entering his last year of his rookie contract, the Pittsburgh Steelers offered Beachum a contract extension, but he declined their offer.
Beachum entered his final year on his rookie contract in 2015 and started the regular season at left tackle. On October 18, 2015, he left during a 25-13 victory over the Arizona Cardinals after tearing his left ACL. He was placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
On March 9, 2016, Beachum became a free agent and was ranked by PFF as the second best free agent offensive tackle behind Cordy Glenn. He met with multiple teams, including the New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, and Jacksonville Jaguars.
While with the Steelers, he appeared in 44 games with 39 starts.
He entered his first training camp with the Jaguars competing with Luke Joeckel to be the starting left tackle. On August 30, 2016, head coach Gus Bradley named him the starting left tackle to begin the regular season. Beachum made his first start for the Jacksonville Jaguars in their season-opening 27-24 loss to the Green Bay Packers. He suffered a concussion in a Week 2 matchup against the San Diego Chargers and was inactive for Week 3. He returned the following game and started the last 13 games of the regular season. Beachum finished his first season with the Jaguars starting in 15 games and was considered a disappointment after surrendering 49 quarterback pressures. The 49 quarterback pressures was the 11th most by any offensive tackles in 2016. He received a 44.3 PFF production grade that ranked him 63rd out of 78th offensive tackles that qualified.
On February 15, 2017, the Jaguars declined Beachum's four-year option, making him a free agent.
New York JetsEdit
He entered training camp competing against Ben Ijalana for the job as the starting left tackle that was left vacant after the departure of Ryan Clady. Head coach Todd Bowles named Beachum the starting left tackle to begin the regular season. He started all 16 games for the Jets in 2017 and performed fairly well, receiving a 72.7 overall grade by Pro Football Focus. In comparison, the New York Jets former starting left tackle, Ryan Clady, received an overall grade of 47.2 from Pro Football Focus in 2016.
- ↑ "Player Bio: Kelvin Beachum, Jr. - SMUMUSTANGS.COM - The Official Athletic Site of SMU Mustangs". http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/beachumjr_kelvin00.html.
- ↑ "Kelvin Beachum, DS #24 OG, SMU: 2012 NFL Draft".
- ↑ "Kelvin Beachum Draft Profile â€". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/kelvin-beachum?id=2533442. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Sportrac.com: Kelvin Beachum contract".
- ↑ "Ourlads.com: Pittsburgh Steeler's depth chart: 09/01/2012".
- ↑ Rivers, Christina (December 3, 2012). "Emotional 23-20 Win For Batch And Steelers". CBS. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/03/emotional-23-20-win-for-batch-and-steelers/.
- ↑ Rivers, Christina (December 4, 2012). "Kelvin Beachum Helping Steelers Resurrect Their Playoff Hopes". CBS. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/04/kelvin-beachum-helping-steelers-resurrect-their-playoff-hopes/.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Schultz, Cole. "Secret superstars: Pittsburgh Steelers". https://www.profootballfocus.com/secret-superstars-pittsburgh-steelers/.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "NFL Player Profile: Kelvin Beachum".
- ↑ "Ourlads.com: Pittsburgh Steeler's depth Chart: 09/01/2013".
- ↑ "Ourlads.com: Pittsburgh Steeler's depth chart: 11/30/2013". http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/153/PIT.
- ↑ "2014 PFF Offensive line rankings". https://www.profootballfocus.com/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/.
- ↑ Sessler, Marc (October 19, 2015). "Steeler's Kelvin Beachum servers torn ACL". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000559977/article/steelers-kelvin-beachum-suffers-torn-acl.
- ↑ Kelly, Danny (March 11, 2016). "Seahawks to host free agent LT Kelvin Beachum Monday". http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/3/11/11207442/seahawks-free-agent-kelvin-beachum-steelers-nfl.
- ↑ Parker, Jason (March 11, 2016). "NFL free agency: Jets and Steelers battle for Kelvin Beachum". http://fansided.com/2016/03/11/nfl-free-agency-jets-steelers-battle-kelvin-beachum/.
- ↑ "Jags continue free-agent spree with Kelvin Beachum". http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644698/article/jags-continue-freeagent-spree-with-kelvin-beachum.
- ↑ DiRocco, Michael. "Jaguars adding Kelvin Beachum to finally give Luke Joeckel some competition". http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/17220/jaguars-adding-kelvin-beachum-to-finally-give-luke-joeckel-some-competition.
- ↑ Gantt, Darin (August 30, 2016). "Jaguars to start Kelvin Beachum at tackle, Luke Joeckel at left guard". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/30/jaguars-to-start-kelvin-beachum-at-tackle-luke-joeckel-at-left-guard.
- ↑ "Ranking all 32 NFL offensive lines this season".
- ↑ Crist, Eliot (May 18, 2017). "The Jets need Kelvin Beachum to regain his old form". https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-jets-need-kelvin-beachum-to-regain-his-old-form.
- ↑ Jackson, Zac (February 15, 2017). "Jaguars won’t pick up option on Kelvin Beachum’s contract". http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/jaguars-wont-pick-up-option-on-kelvin-beachums-contract/.
- ↑ Allen, Eric (March 10, 2017). "Jets Sign T Kelvin Beachum". NewYorkJets.com. http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Sign-T-Kelvin-Beachum/2baf0226-b7be-4044-bc0b-957a984be1f0.
- ↑ "Spotrac.com: Wesley Johnson contract". http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/wesley-johnson-14584/. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- ↑ "Ben Ijalana reveals Jets' plan for the offensive line". July 29, 2017. https://www.jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/29/ben-ijalana-reveals-jets-plan-for-the-offensive-line/amp/.
- ↑ Wells, MacGregor (September 5, 2017). "The Jets Opening Day Depth Chart". https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/9/5/16256228/the-jets-opening-day-depth-chart.
- ↑ "Pro Football Focus: Kelvin Beachum". https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/kelvin-beachum/7229. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- ↑ "Son Surprises his Family with a major Renovation". http://www.hgtv.com/shows/fixer-upper/episodes/son-surprises-his-family-with-a-major-renovation.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Pittsburgh Steelers bio
- Jacksonville Jaguars bio