Keith Stokes (born December 10, 1978) is a former professional Canadian and American football wide receiver. For the 2019 season, he is Special Teams and Offensive Assistant Coach for the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League.
Stokes attended Georgia Military College and as a sophomore, he was selected as an NJCAA All-American honoree and was named the Team MVP. Stokes attended East Carolina University where he immediately made his mark as a talented kick returner and big-play offensive weapon. In the fourth game of his career for the Pirates, he caught the game-winning 27-yard touchdown pass to defeat the #13 ranked Miami Hurricanes by a score of 27-23. The Pirates were down 20-3 at halftime in the emotional comeback victory, which was moved to Raleigh from ECU's campus in Greenville, NC, due to the after-effects of Hurricane Floyd.
Stokes set East Carolina Pirates team records as a punt returner. Stokes gained the most punt return yards in a single game with 168 in a 62-20 victory against Houston on November 11, 2000. He also possesses the best career average yards per punt return at 15.5 yards per return on 53 returns. His 94-yard punt return against Cincinnati in 1999 is the second-longest in school history. Stokes also returned a punt 71 yards for a touchdown against Texas Tech in the 2000 Galleryfurniture.com Bowl.
Although relatively short for the receiver position, as a senior, he was able to utilize his agility and quickness to routinely create separation from defenders to lead the team in receptions and receiving yards. In 2000, Stokes led Conference USA in all-purpose yardage with 1,427 yards.
Stokes began his pro football career in the Canadian Football League. In 2002, Stokes joined the Montreal Alouettes and, in 2004, Stokes joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, won the John Agro Special Teams Award, and was named a 2004 CFL All-Star.
- ↑ https://www.bclions.com/2019/05/04/stokes-ready-to-run-with-lions/
- ↑ East Carolina Pirates' Records
- ↑ "CNNSI.com - 2000 NCAA Football Bowls - NCAA Football Scoreboard: Recap: East Carolina at Texas Tech - Thursday December 28, 2000 12:19 AM". CNN. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/recaps/2000/12/27/tto_eea/.
- ↑ "CNNSI.com - 2000 NCAA Football Bowls - Inside C-USA: Bearcats give season a kick - Thursday December 21, 2000 05:06 PM". CNN. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2000/bowls/news/2000/12/21/cusa_insider_bowl/.
- ↑ Ailing Argonauts add Stokes, Washburn
- ↑ "Argonauts sign three on defence; release Stokes". TSN.ca. February 11, 2009. https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=266678. Retrieved February 12, 2009.