Newsome with the Colts in 2014
|Date of birth:January 22, 1991|
|Place of birth: Cleveland, Ohio|
|College: Ball State|
|NFL Draft: 2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 166|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Indianapolis Colts ( 2014– 2015)|
|Roster status: Active|
|CFL status: International|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at CFL.ca|
Jonathan Newsome (born January 22, 1991) is a Canadian football linebacker for the Ottawa Redblacks of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at Ohio State and Ball State, and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He has also been a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL).
As a senior Newsome was named All-Ohio Second Team while playing for Coach Ted Ginn Sr. at Glenville High School in Cleveland. He totaled 101 tackles and 17 sacks as a senior.
2009 & 2010 seasonsEdit
Newsome started his college career at Ohio State. In 2009, he played in five games for the Buckeyes. In 2010, he earned his first collegiate start vs. Minnesota and played in all 13 of the Buckeyes games.
2012 & 2013 seasonsEdit
After his transfer to Ball State Newsome redshirted the 2011 season. He started 22 games in 2 seasons for the Cardinals, racking up 116 tackles (24 of them for a loss in yards), and 16.5 sacks for a total loss of 96 yards.
- 2013 All-Mid-American Conference First Team
- 2013 Rotary Lombardi Award Preseason Watch List
- 2013 Ted Hendricks Award Preseason Watch List
- 2013 Mid-American Conference West Division
- 2012 All-Mid-American Conference Second Team
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in||247 lb33 ¼ in9 ⅝ in||4.73 s||4.63 s||7.31 s||34 in||21 reps|
Newsome was selected in the fifth round (164th overall) of the 2014 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts, the first Ball State player to be drafted by the Colts. He recorded his first NFL tackle on the September 21, 2014 in the Colts win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. In week 9, playing against the New York Giants, he recorded 7 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 forced fumble. Newsome made his first career start in week 17, and went on to win the AFC Defensive Player of the Week award for his performance. He finished the game with 8 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 2 sacks. Newsome finished the season with a team-leading 6.5 total sacks, the second-most amongst NFL rookies in 2014 and the third most by a rookie in Colts' franchise history. Jonathan was released from the Indianapolis Colts on February 22, 2016, after being arrested by police for marijuana possession.
On May 30, 2016, Newsome signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played in all 18 regular season games in the 2016 season, contributing 27 defensive tackles, six special teams tackles and two quarterback sacks. In game 2 July 1, 2017 Newsone recorded an interception in Roughriders 43-40 lost to Winnipeg. The Riders released Newsome three days later on July 4, 2017.
Ottawa Redblacks Edit
Three days after being released by the Riders, Newsome signed with the Ottawa Redblacks (CFL). In his first game, Newsome recorded three tackles and sealed the win for the Redblacks with an interception.  In 9 games with Ottawa, Newsome recorded 13 tackles, 4 sacks, an interception, and a forced fumble. The following year, Newsome missed time with injury, but still had 8 tackles and a sack in 8 games played for 2018, a season where Ottawa played in the 106th Grey Cup. On December 20, 2018, Newsome signed a one year extension with Ottawa; in the 2018 postseason and in 2019 training camp the team experimented with a designated package of plays for Newsome, moving him around the field to a variety of linebacker positions.
NFL career statisticsEdit
- ↑ Wright, Branson (May 10, 2014). "Cleveland native Jonathan Newsome is selected by the Indianapolis Colts". cleveland.com. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_native_jonathan_news.html. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- ↑ "Player Profile". ballstatesports.com. ballstatesports.com. http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205250718. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- ↑ Holder, Stephen (May 10, 2014). "Colts go local, select Ball State's Jonathan Newsome in NFL Draft". indystar.com. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/05/10/colts-go-local-select-ball-states-jonathan-newsome-nfl-draft/8942307/. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- ↑ Holder, Stephen. "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Rookie Newsome ratchets up pass rush". Gannett. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/04/indianapolis-colts-new-york-giants-josh-chapman-sergio-brown-coby-fleener/18463939/. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- ↑ Gantt, Darin. "Jonathan Newsome named AFC Defensive Player of the Week". December 31, 2014. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/jonathan-newsome-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- ↑ Wells, Mike (February 22, 2016). "Colts LB Jonathan Newsome released after marijuana arrest". espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14823730/indianapolis-colts-release-jonathan-newsome-marijuana-arrest. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- ↑ "Saskatchewan Roughriders sign Jonathan Newsome". leaderpost.com. May 30, 2016. https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/saskatchewan-roughriders-sign-jonathan-newsome. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- ↑ "Riders release Jonathan Newsome". July 4, 2017. https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/04/riders-release-jonathan-newsome/.
- ↑ "REDBLACKS add recent Rider cut Jonathan Newsome". July 7, 2017. https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/07/redblacks-add-recent-rider-cut-jonathan-newsome/.
- ↑ https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/redblacks-jonathan-newsome-takes-the-me-out-of-his-game