|Date of birth:June 15, 1989|
|Place of birth: Margate, Florida|
|Undrafted in 2011|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Miami Dolphins ( 2011)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Super Bowl champion (LI)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Jonathan Freeny (born June 15, 1989) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Rutgers. He has also been a member of the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Rush, Baltimore Ravens, Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, and Detroit Lions.
Freeny chose to accept a scholarship to Rutgers University due to then head coach Greg Schiano's connections to South Florida from his time with the University of Miami. Freeny would play 46 games at Rutgers and primarily played at defensive end and linebacker.
Freeny was signed to the Dolphins' practice squad on December 7, 2011. He then spent the following 3 seasons on the Dolphins active roster. At the end of the 2014 season Freeny became a restricted free agent but was not tendered a contract by Miami and therefore became an unrestricted free agent.
New England Patriots
On March 12, 2015, Freeny signed with the New England Patriots on a one-year deal. On September 24, 2015, the Patriots extended Freeny's contract through 2016 after emerging as a core special teamer. He played in 13 regular season games with seven starts registering 43 tackles, one sack, one pass breakup, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and two special teams tackles.
On September 2, 2017, Freeny was released by the Patriots.
New England Patriots (second stint)
New Orleans Saints
- http://www.miamidolphins.com/content/jonathan-freeny[dead link]
- Reiss, Mike (September 19, 2015). "Jonathan Freeny's football journey leads him from Dolphins to Patriots". http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4785339/jonathan-freenys-football-journey-leads-him-from-dolphins-to-patriots.
- "Archived copy". http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/roster/Jonathan-Freeny/f54efcd5-0bd4-4540-8f9f-4a04cfe130a6.
- "JONATHAN FREENY". foxsports.com. Archived from the original on July 28, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160728200442/http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/jonathan-freeny-player-transactions. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- "Historical Team Transactions". arenafan.com. http://www.arenafan.com/teams/?page=transactions&type=old&team=64. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Daniels, Mark (October 26, 2015). "Jonathan Freeny preps for his former team in a new role with Patriots". Providence Journal. http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20151026/SPORTS/151029446.
- Reiss, Mike (September 24, 2015). "Patriots extend LB Jonathan Freeny's contract through 2016". http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4785557/patriots-extend-lb-jonathan-freenys-contract-through-2016. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- Meyer, Max (August 27, 2016). "Patriots sign Jonathan Freeny to 2-year extension". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691114/article/patriots-sign-jonathan-freeny-to-2year-extension. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "Patriots sign DL Geneo Grisson and DL Anthony Johnson to the 53-man roster; Place LB Jonathan Freeny and TE Greg Scruggs on Injured Reserve". October 15, 2016. https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-sign-dl-geneo-grissom-and-dl-anthony-johnson-to-the-53-man-roste-275451.
- "Super Bowl LI - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons - February 5th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201702050atl.htm. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Wesseling, Chris. "New England Patriots win Super Bowl LI". NFL. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000783692/article/patriots-erase-deficit-defeat-falcons-in-super-bowl-li. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Clarke, Liz. "Julian Edelman’s Super Bowl miracle catch gives Patriots answer to David Tyree", The Washington Post, February 6, 2017
- "Super Bowl LI - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons - February 5th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201702050atl.htm. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- "Patriots reach 53-man limit". September 2, 2017. http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/09/02/patriots-reach-53-man-limit.
- Mink, Ryan (September 27, 2017). "Ravens Sign Veteran Linebacker Jonathan Freeny". http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Sign-Veteran-Linebacker-Jonathan-Freeny/948f1823-e2e6-4c38-bee0-7355b4194c26.
- Mink, Ryan (October 17, 2017). "Ravens Sign Former Veteran Steelers Inside Linebacker". http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Sign-Former-Veteran-Steelers-Inside-Linebacker/9506bfd4-c292-4629-ab3b-20844d2130b5.
- "Jaguars sign linebacker Jonathan Freeny". October 24, 2017. http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-sign-linebacker-Jonathan-Freeny/05737a7e-ec04-430d-a7f5-d378357e843b.
- "Patriots re-sign LB Jonathan Freeny". December 6, 2017. http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/12/06/patriots-re-sign-lb-jonathan-freeny.
- "Patriots Sign WR Kenny Britt; Announce Additional Roster Moves". December 13, 2017. https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-sign-wr-kenny-britt-announce-additional-roster-moves-317506.
- "Saints claim linebacker Jonathan Freeny, waive Sterling Moore: source". December 14, 2017. http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/12/saints_claim_linebacker_jonath.html.
- "Lions sign unrestricted free agent LB Jonathan Freeny". March 26, 2018. http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/Lions-sign-unrestricted-free-agent-LB-Jonathan-Freeny/b1b44b7e-914e-45c9-b2a9-3d3f5800cd38.
- "Lions establish 53-man roster". September 1, 2018. https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-establish-53-man-roster.
- "Miami Dolphins' Jonathan Freeny looks forward to meeting Colts relative Dwight Freeney". Sun Sentinel. November 4, 2012. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-11-04/sports/sfl-miami-dolphins-jonathan-freeny-looks-forward-to-meeting-colts-relative-dwight-freeney-20121104_1_dwight-freeney-colts-cold-weather.
Template:Super Bowl LI