|No. 72, 75|
|Defensive tackle / Defensive end|
|Date of birth:March 12, 1965|
|Place of birth: Los Angeles, California|
|NFL Draft: 1988 / Round: 5 / Pick: 118|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New York Giants ( 1988)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Jon Stacy Carter (born March 12, 1965) is a former football defensive lineman in the National Football League (NFL) for the Dallas Cowboys. He also was a member of the Raleigh–Durham Skyhawks and Frankfurt Galaxy in the World League of American Football (WLAF). He played college football at the University of Pittsburgh.
He accepted a football scholarship from the University of Pittsburgh, where he was initially switched to defensive tackle. He became a four-year starter on defensive lines that included Chris Doleman, Bob Buczkowski, Tony Woods, Lorenzo Freeman, Burt Grossman, Marc Spindler, Tony Siragusa and Tom Sims.
As a senior he was named a team captain, recording 65 tackles (16 for loss), 6 sacks and 2 blocked kicks. He began the season at defensive end, but was forced to play 4 games at defensive tackle due to injuries. During his college career he played every position on the defensive line, finishing with 171 tackles, 41 tackles for loss and 18.5 sacks.
New York Giants
Carter was selected by the New York Giants in the fifth round (118th overall) of the 1988 NFL Draft. On September 5, he was placed on the injured reserve list after injuring his hamstring, in the final preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. He was waived on August 28, 1989.
That season the Cowboys were constantly bringing players to improve the team's talent level and Carter was promoted to the active roster on September 22. He appeared in 13 games as a backup defensive end and defensive tackle. Against the New York Giants, he had 5 tackles and one pass deflection. Against the Green Bay Packers, he tallied 4 tackles and caused a fumble that was returned by linebacker Jack Del Rio for a 57-yard touchdown. He finished the season with 19 tackles, 2 pass defelections and one forced fumble. He was released on August 28, 1990.
Raleigh–Durham Skyhawks (WLAF)
In 1991, he was drafted 8th overall by the Raleigh–Durham Skyhawks of the World League of American Football. He played defensive end in the Skyhawks' 3–4 defense, while posting 45 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 5 quarterback hurries and one forced fumble. The team finished 0-10 in the standings and were disbanded after the season, due to poor attendance.
Frankfurt Galaxy (WLAF)
In 1992, he was placed back in the draft pool, along with the remaining Skyhawks players. He was selected in the second round by the Frankfurt Galaxy and was named the starter at defensive end in the team's 3–4 defense.
- "Pitt Hotly Pursuing Heyward". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19840126&id=MU8NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=720DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5397,4923712&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Precious Panther". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19841011&id=KjkgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_WEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6902,5156681&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "A Panther Debut". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19870425&id=Cq9RAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5m0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3071,8940941&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "N.F.L. DRAFT '88; Giants Beef Up The Line". https://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/25/sports/nfl-draft-88-giants-beef-up-the-line.html. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Monday's Sports Transactions". https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/09/06/Mondays-Sports-Transactions/5598589521600/. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Giants Waive Welch and 6 Others". https://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/29/sports/giants-waive-welch-and-6-others.html. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "For Giants' Cooks, It's Time to Fret". https://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/01/sports/for-giants-cooks-it-s-time-to-fret.html. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Hill Joins Oilers; Rozier Still a Holdout". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19890906&id=x0NSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JDYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=7015,1098653&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Aikman, Dallas `Silent' About Saints". https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/aikman-dallas-silent-about-saints/article_8dfd6e39-a855-5cb9-b2f9-0608774cb352.html. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Packers Keep Hopes Alive By Beating Inept Cowboys". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19891225&id=-7UcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DnoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4301,6940879&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Oilers, Cowboys Down to 60". https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19900829&id=DoVSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jDYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1616,5757780&hl=es. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Franklin taken first in WLAFT draft". https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/02/20/Franklin-taken-first-in-wlaf-draft/2291667026000/. Retrieved February 19, 2018.