|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (October 2008)|
Welbourn in 2006.
|Guard / Tackle|
|Date of birth:March 30, 1976|
|Place of birth: Torrance, California|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||Weight: 310 lb (141 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 1999 / Round: 4 / Pick: 97|
|Debuted in 1999 for the Philadelphia Eagles|
|Last played in 2007 for the Kansas City Chiefs|
| * Philadelphia Eagles ( 1999- 2003)
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
John Welbourn (born March 30, 1976) is a retired American football offensive tackle and guard. He was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fourth round of the 1999 NFL Draft. He played college football at California. Welbourn has also been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots.
Welbourn attended Palos Verdes High School and Palos Verdes Peninsula High School in Rolling Hills Estates, California where he lettered in football and track. Welbourn attended the University of California, Berkeley on a football scholarship. He graduated in four years with a B.A. in Rhetoric. He then went on to do his masters work in Education.
Welbourn came into the National Football League in 1999 after being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles with the second pick in the fourth round of the 1999 NFL Draft. He went on to start his first professional game versus the Arizona Cardinals. He was injured at the end of the second quarter and was placed on injured reserve. He came back the following year and started all 16 regular season games for the Eagles. He continued to play for the Eagles as a starter at left guard through the 2003 season.
Kansas City ChiefsEdit
Welbourn was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for second- and fourth-round draft picks. He went on to start at right tackle for the Chiefs for the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons. In 2005, he was suspended for four games for steroid use. In 2007 he started all 16 games for the Chiefs at right guard. He was released at the end of the season with one year left on his contract.
New England PatriotsEdit
- ↑ Pasquarelli, Len (September 3, 2005). "Chiefs lineman Welbourn suspended for steroids". ESPN.com. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2150559. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- ↑ "Steroid suspension costs Welbourn four games". USA Today. September 3, 2005. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chiefs/2005-09-03-welbourn-suspension_x.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- ↑ "Chiefs release OL Welbourn in what could be start of offseason overhaul". USA Today. February 15, 2008. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-02-15-2783522126_x.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- ↑ "Patriots sign OL Welbourn, a nine-year NFL veteran". USA Today. August 4, 2008. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2008-08-04-717385322_x.htm. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- ↑ "Patriots keep Cassel as Brady's backup". Sporting News. August 30, 2008. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2008-08-30/patriots-keep-cassel-bradys-backup. Retrieved 2010-02-14.