|No. -- Free Agent|
|Date of birth:August 19, 1983|
|Place of birth: Drakes Branch, Virginia|
|Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||Weight: 307 lb (139 kg)|
|College: North Carolina State|
|NFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 1 / Pick: 26|
|Debuted in 2006 for the Buffalo Bills|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 13, 2011|
|Stats at NFL.com|
John McCargo (born August 19, 1983) is an American football defensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at North Carolina State.
Many draft experts considered McCargo a late-2nd or early-3rd round pick before the 2006 NFL Draft. Because of this, many people were shocked when the Bills traded up to select him 26th overall.
McCargo spent most of the 2006 season on injured reserve. He passed out at training camp his rookie season, mainly because he had to run difficult drills in hot weather at his 300-pound frame. He was the second string defensive tackle behind Larry Tripplett in 2007, and played in all 16 games.
On October 14, 2008, McCargo was traded to the Indianapolis Colts. The trade was voided and he was returned to the Bills the following day after McCargo failed his physical.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
McCargo signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on August 20, 2011. He was waived on September 2.
On November 8, 2011 the Tampa Bay Buccaneers resigned McCargo to fill a roster void caused by a season ending injury to Gerald McCoy. McCargo was again cut, the next day after the Buccaneers signed Albert Haynesworth. A week later McCargo was once-again resigned, following a season-ending knee injury to DE George Johnson.
On May 2, 2012, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers released McCargo.
McCargo signed with the Chicago Bears on May 10, 2012. During the second game of the preseason against the Washington Redskins, McCargo recovered a fumble by Redskins running back Antwon Bailey.
On August 26, the Bears waived McCargo.
- ↑ Buffalo Bills depth chart[dead link]
- ↑ "Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign John McCargo To Replace Injured Gerald McCoy - SB Nation Tampa Bay". Tampabay.sbnation.com. 2011-11-08. http://tampabay.sbnation.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers/2011/11/8/2547580/john-mccargo-tampa-bay-buccaneers-gerald-mccoy. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- ↑ "Bears sign trio of defensive linemen". Chicagobears.com. 2012-05-11. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8805. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- ↑ "Read Larry's Bears vs. Redskins blog". Chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8989. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- ↑ "Hardin placed on IR, Knox goes on PUP". Chicagobears.com. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=9011. Retrieved 2012-08-27.