|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (May 2012)|
|Date of birth:June 25, 1987|
|Place of birth: Richmond, Virginia|
| High School: Meadowbrook High School,|
|Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||Weight: 286 lb (130 kg)|
|College: Virginia Tech|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: UFA / Pick:|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Seattle Seahawks|
|* Seattle Seahawks ( 2011)*|
|Roster status: Free agent|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Second team All-ACC (2010)|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Graves played under Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech for five seasons from 2006-2010. Though he initially played at defensive tackle, during the 2009 offseason, coaches Charley Wiles and Bud Foster moved him to defensive end, where he played during his fifth season. Graves was a captain as a senior. Though Graves was regarded by teammates as being somewhat wild, he was described by coach Charley Wiles as being a natural leader and one of a strong work ethic. After Tech's loss to James Madison in 2010, Graves was immediately back in the film room getting ready for the next game. 
Graves wasn't selected in the 2011 NFL Draft, but was signed by the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent.  He was waived during final cuts, but did come back to the team on the practice squad for the 2011 season. He was subsequently waived.
- ↑ "Seattle Seahawks: John Graves". Seattle Seahawks. http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster/john-graves/8bc2b966-4f05-4e76-86c4-d11b4f7c0bc1/. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- ↑ "Former Meadowbrook Monarch Players". http://meadowbrookfootball.com/teams/default.asp?u=MBKFOOTBALL&t=c&s=football&p=custom&pagename=Former+Players. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Tech's Tyrod Taylor, John Graves, Rashad Carmichael and Andre Smith discuss season-opener". ACC All Access. http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/accblog/2010/09/while_the_official_addition_of.html. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Giannotto, Mark. "Graves goes right back to work for Virginia Tech". http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/17/AR2010091706648.html. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- ↑ Kelly, Danny. "Assessing the Seahawks Roster: Defensive Ends". Field Gulls. http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/7/22/2281978/assessing-the-seahawks-roster-defensive-ends. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- ↑ "Roster Analysis". Seahawks Insider. http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2012/01/13/roster-analysis-11/. Retrieved 2 October 2012.