Boyett in the 2014 NFL preseason
|Date of birth:December 20, 1989|
|Place of birth: Woodland, California|
|NFL Draft: 2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 192|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Indianapolis Colts ( 2013)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Grey Cup champion (2016)|
John Newcomb Boyett (born December 20, 1989) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He was drafted in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts. Boyett has also been a member of the Denver Broncos, but has not played in the National Football League due to several legal incidents.
Boyett played college football for the Oregon Ducks. He was selected by the Indianapolis Colts during the sixth round in the 2013 NFL draft. He signed with the Colts on May 9, and was placed on the non-football injury list on July 23, 2013. On September 3, 2013, he was released by the Colts after being arrested the day prior for disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement. Boyett tried to enter a bar and was turned away for being already intoxicated. After refusing to leave, the police were called and he reportedly threatened officers and said "You can’t arrest me, I’m a Colts player" after attempting to flee. Boyett issued an apology on September 4.
Boyett was signed to the Denver Broncos' practice squad on November 19, 2013. He was released by the Broncos on October 23, 2014, following an arrest for third degree assault, theft, and harassment. After headbutting a cab driver, Boyett reportedly stole a shovel from a nearby construction site and attempted to cover himself in mulch. After being found, he demanded the officers call John Elway before repeatedly hitting his head against a patrol car window while yelling and spitting.
Boyett signed with the Ottawa Redblacks of the Canadian Football League in July 2015. In his first season in the CFL Boyett played in only 4 games, but contributed 6 defensive tackles, 2 special teams tackles and 1 interception in limited playing time. During the off-season, and into the early part of the 2016 season Boyett was transitioned into a linebacker role, resulting in the release of veteran David Hinds. In his new position Boyett saw increased play time appearing in 11 games for the Redblacks and amassing 28 defensive tackles to go along with 10 special teams tackles, 2 sacks and 1 interception as the Redblacks went on to win the Grey Cup.
- "Colts sign 6 draft picks on eve of rookie camp". May 9, 2013. http://www.wthr.com/story/22212724/colts-sign-6-draft-picks-on-eve-of-rookie-camp.
- Wilson, Josh (July 23, 2013). "Colts Place RB Ahmad Bradshaw on PUP; S John Boyett on Non-Football Injury List". http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/7/23/4550732/colts-place-rb-ahmad-bradshaw-on-pup-s-john-boyett-on-non-football.
- Edholm, Eric (September 3, 2013). "Indianapolis Colts release John Boyett following ludicrous statement during arrest". sports.yahoo.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/indianapolis-colts-release-boyett-injured-list-following-arrest-132812624--nfl.html. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- Schwab, Frank (September 2, 2013). "Colts sixth-round pick gets arrested after pleading, ‘You can’t arrest me, I’m a Colts player’". sports.yahoo.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/colts-sixth-round-pick-gets-arrested-pleading-t-213411135--nfl.html. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- James, Marty (November 19, 2013). "John Boyett signed to Denver Broncos practice squad.". Napa Valley Register. http://napavalleyregister.com/sports/john-boyett-signed-to-denver-broncos-practice-squad/article_c8b68cf0-5172-11e3-9ea9-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- Douglas, Stephen (October 24, 2014). "John Boyett Released By Broncos After Very Interesting Arrest Where He Told Officers to Contact John Elway". thebiglead.com. http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/24/john-boyett-released-by-broncos-after-very-interesting-arrest-where-he-told-officers-to-contact-john-elway/. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- "Broncos release safety John Boyett from practice squad after arrest". si.com. October 23, 2014. https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/23/denver-broncos-john-boyett-release-arrest. Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- Paul, Jesse (October 23, 2014). "Police: Ex-Bronco John Boyett punched cabbie, urged cops to call Elway". denverpost.com. http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26786072/police-ex-bronco-john-boyett-punched-cabbie-urged. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- Holder, Gord (July 20, 2015). "New Redblack John Boyett seeking redemption on, off field". ottawacitizen.com. https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/new-redblack-john-boyett-seeking-redemption-on-off-field. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- "Ottawa Redblacks give promotion to linebacker John Boyett". http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/08/29/ottawa-redblacks-give-promotion-to-linebacker-john-boyett.
Template:104th Grey Cup
|This biographical article relating to an American football defensive back born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|