|File:John Bauer - 1954 Bowman.jpg|
Bauer on a 1954 Bowman football card
|Date of birth:March 11, 1932|
|Place of birth: Benton, Illinois|
|NFL Draft: 1954 / Round: 1 / Pick: 12|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New York Giants (1954)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Born in Benton, Illinois, Bauer attended the University of Illinois, where he played for the school's football team from 1951 to 1953. In the first round of the 1954 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns chose him with the 12th overall pick. In August 1954, Bauer was traded to the Green Bay Packers as part of a six-player transaction. A month later, the Giants acquired Bauer from the Packers in another trade. Bauer played in two games for the Giants during the 1954 NFL season as a backup. He went into the Army and returned to the Giants in 1957, but left the team before the start of the season.
- "John Bauer". Pro Football Reference. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BaueJo20.htm. Retrieved June 29, 2011.
- "All-Time Letterwinners". University of Illinois. http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/FBLetterwinners.html. Retrieved June 29, 2011.
- "Browns Swap Quarterbacks". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. August 7, 1954. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5jpWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=X-kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3725,1178898. Retrieved June 29, 2011.
- "Giants Get Bauer". The Windsor Daily Star. Associated Press. September 21, 1954. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9jI_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=SVEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6488,1681710. Retrieved June 29, 2011.
- "Nary Replacement For Giants' Grier?". The Miami News. Associated Press. July 28, 1957. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AbwyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2eoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3901,4320438. Retrieved June 29, 2011.
Template:Browns1954DraftPicks Template:1954 NFL Draft
|This biographical article relating to an American football offensive lineman born in the 1930s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|