|Date of birth:November 15, 1982|
|Place of birth: Syracuse, New York|
|Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||Weight: 250 lb (113 kg)|
|Undrafted in 2006|
|Debuted in 2006 for the New York Jets|
|* New York Jets ( 2006– 2007)
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2008|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Joe Kowalewski (born November 15, 1982, in Syracuse, New York) is an American football fullback who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He played college football at Syracuse.
Kowalewski has also been a member of the Miami Dolphins.
Early years[edit | edit source]
College career[edit | edit source]
While at Syracuse, Kowalewski moved from defensive end to linebacker prior to the 2002 Spring practice, and to tight end before the beginning of the 2002 season. He totaled 33 receptions for 441 yards and three touchdowns during his collegiate career, while also achieving success academically. He graduated with a degree in retail and consumer studies.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
New York Jets[edit | edit source]
Due to injuries, Kowalewski was unable to work out for pro scouts. He went undrafted in the 2006 NFL Draft, but received invitations to try out for both the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins. On the advice of his agent, he signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with New York on May 15, 2006.
After spending the 2006 season on the practice squad, Kowalewski made his NFL debut in the opening week of the 2007 season in a loss to the New England Patriots. Kowalewski scored his first NFL touchdown on November 4, 2007, against the Washington Redskins.
Kowalewski was waived on April 28, 2008.
Miami Dolphins[edit | edit source]
Kowalewski signed with the Miami Dolphins on August 11, 2009. He caught a two-yard touchdown pass from Chad Henne in the Dolphins' preseason contest against the Carolina Panthers on August 22. He was waived/injured on August 29 and subsequently placed on injured reserve on September 1 and eventually released with an injury settlement.
References[edit | edit source]
- Joe Kowalewski, archived from the original on 2006-11-17, http://web.archive.org/web/20061117025625/http://www.newyorkjets.com/players/joe-kowalewski?return_to_controller=player&return_to_action=show_practice_players, retrieved 2007-08-29
- Rahme, Dave (2007-07-26), No Quit Joe, The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com/articles/orangefootball/index.ssf?/base/news-8/118492439574900.xml&coll=1, retrieved 2007-08-29
- Webb, Donnie (2006-05-01), Free Agent - Joe Kowalewski, Syracuse.com, http://www.syracuse.com/weblogs/print.ssf?/mtlogs/syr_orangefootball/archives/print136643.html, retrieved 2007-08-29
- NFL.com Player Page, http://www.nfl.com/players/joekowalewski/profile?id=KOW173037, retrieved 2007-09-10
- Rock, Tom (2007-11-05) (– Scholar search), Up 17-3, Jets falter as Redskins run away with 'W', Newsday, archived from the original on 2007-12-18, http://web.archive.org/web/20071218070548/http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets055447816nov05,0,6273247.story?coll=ny_sports_football_jets_util, retrieved 2007-11-05[dead link]
- Cimini, Rich (2008-04-28), Joe Ko is no 'mo, Daily News, http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/04/joe-ko-is-no-mo.html, retrieved 2008-04-29
- Neal, David J. (2009-08-11), Miami Dolphins sign former Jets fullback Joe Kowalewski, The Miami Herald, http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/1181370.html, retrieved 2009-08-11[dead link]
- Beasley, Adam H. (2009-08-23), Miami Dolphins' ground game punishes Panthers, The Miami Herald, http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1198671.html, retrieved 2009-08-29[dead link]
- Armstrong, kicker among latest Miami cuts, Sports Illustrated, 2009-08-29, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/08/29/dolphins.moves.ap/, retrieved 2009-08-29[dead link]