|Position:||Special teams coordinator|
|Born:||June 29, 1965|
|High school:||Arvada (CO)|
|Career highlights and awards
Joe DeCamillis (born June 29, 1965) is an American football coach who is the special teams coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL). DeCamillis was formerly the assistant head coach and special teams coordinator for the Chicago Bears for two seasons. Before that, he coached for the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Atlanta Falcons, and Jacksonville Jaguars.
DeCamillis did not play football in college. DeCamillis wrestled for the University of Wyoming where he was an All-American by virtue of finishing 8th at the 1988 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.
Football coaching career
On May 2, 2009, the Dallas Cowboys practice facility collapsed during a wind storm. The collapse left DeCamillis and 11 other Cowboys players and coaches injured. DeCamillis and Rich Behm, the team's 33-year-old scouting assistant, received the most severe injuries. DeCamillis suffered fractured cervical vertebrae and had surgery to stabilize fractured vertebrae in his neck, and Behm was permanently paralyzed from the waist down after his spine was severed. DeCamillis received much praise from the media and fans in the months following the incident for continuing to coach in his high energy style, wearing a neck brace, only 9 days following the incident. He was finally able to remove the brace on August 10, 2009. The Cowboys gave him and Kyle Kosier the Ed Block Courage Award for 2009.
On January 16, 2013, DeCamillis was hired by the Bears. He had been interviewed by the Bears for their head coaching position, but was later hired as special teams coach and assistant head coach. On January 19, 2015, DeCamillis was replaced by Jeff Rodgers.
On January 20, 2015, DeCamillis was hired by the Denver Broncos.
On October 13, 2016, DeCamillis served as the interim head coach for Denver's game against the San Diego Chargers while Gary Kubiak was recovering from an illness. The Broncos lost 21–13 in his head coaching debut.
On January 13, 2017, DeCamillis was named as the special teams coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Head coaching record
|Won||Lost||Ties||Win %||Finish||Won||Lost||Win %||Result|
- USA Wrestling. "Wyoming All-American wrestler Joe DeCamillis is interim coach for Super Bowl champion Broncos Thursday night". Teamusa.org. http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/October/10/Wyoming-AA-wrestler-Decamillis-to-coach-Broncos-Thursday-night. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "A Wyoming Cowboy Is Head Coach Of The Denver Broncos This Week". 1063cowboycountry.com. http://1063cowboycountry.com/a-wyoming-cowboy-is-head-coach-of-the-denver-broncos-this-week/. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- Holmes, Ryan. "Former Wyoming All-American Joe DeCamillis To Coach Denver Broncos". FloWrestling. http://www.flowrestling.org/article/47160-former-wyoming-all-american-joe-decamillis-to-coach-denver-broncos. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- Contact KOGOD: Comment Facebook Twitter (May 2, 2009). "Cowboys Practice Bubble Collapse". Deadspin.com. http://deadspin.com/5237442/cowboys-practice-bubble-collapses. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- DeCamillis makes inspirational return Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found.
- Seligman, Andrew (January 16, 2013). "AP Source: Kromer new Bears offensive coordinator". Yahoo! Sports. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130120021955/http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-kromer-bears-offensive-201942119--nfl.html. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- "Bears bringing in Jeff Rodgers as special teams coordinator". Chicago Tribune. January 19, 2015. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jeff-rodgers-special-teams-coordinator-20150119-story.html. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- "Broncos Hire Joe DeCamillis As Special Teams Coach « CBS Chicago". Chicago.cbslocal.com. January 20, 2015. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/20/report-broncos-hire-joe-decamillis-as-special-teams-coach/. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201602070den.htm. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- Mason, Andrew (October 10, 2016). "Joe DeCamillis to guide Broncos while Gary Kubiak recuperates". Denver Broncos. http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Joe-DeCamillis-to-guide-Broncos-while-Gary-Kubiak-recuperates/9d3e4206-c849-4635-858d-4ed544eec03a. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Heath, Jon (October 14, 2016). "Joe DeCamillis 'sick to stomach,' accepts blame after loss to Chargers". USA Today. http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/14/joe-decamillis-sick-to-stomach-accepts-blame-after-loss-to-chargers/. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Oesher, John (January 13, 2017). "Joe DeCamillis named special teams coordinator". Jacksonville Jaguars. http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Joe-DeCamillis-named-special-teams-coordinator/10e8e86a-df1d-48be-85c6-659266504ad7. Retrieved January 13, 2017.