Joe Cohen with the 49ers in the 2008 preseason.
|Date of birth:June 6, 1984|
|Place of birth: Melbourne, Florida|
|NFL Draft: 2007 / Round: 4 / Pick: 135|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* San Francisco 49ers ( 2007– 2008)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* SEC Champion (2006)|
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Joe Cohen (born June 6, 1984) is an American former player of American and Canadian football who was a defensive tackle. Cohen played college football for the University of Florida, and was a member of a BCS National Championship team. He was picked by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round of the 2007 NFL Draft. He played professionally for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL) and the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL).
Early years[edit | edit source]
Cohen was born in Melbourne, Florida. He attended Palm Bay High School in Melbourne, and he played high school football for the Palm Bay Pirates. In high school, he played at the RB position as well as defensive line. Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Reggie Nelson and U.S. Olympic runner Xavier Carter were teammates of Cohen at Palm Bay High School. Following his high school career, Cohen played in the 2003 U.S. Army All-American Bowl with future Florida Gators teammates Chris Leak and Andre Caldwell.
College career[edit | edit source]
Cohen accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Ron Zook and coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2003 to 2006. As a senior in 2006, he was a member of the Gators' BCS National Championship team.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
The San Francisco 49ers drafted Cohen in the fourth round (135th overall pick) of the 2007 NFL Draft, and he played professionally for a single season for the Detroit Lions in 2009. On November 15, 2009, Cohen made the first sack of his pro career, sacking Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre in a 27–10 loss.
Life after playing career[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Joe Cohen. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 98, 180 (2011). Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- CFLdb.ca, Toronto Argonauts, Toronto Argonauts Player Roster for the 2012 Season. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- VieraHawksFootball.com, Coaches, JV & Varsity Assistant Coaches. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
[edit | edit source]
- Joe Cohen – Florida Gators player profile