Cash with the Carolina Panthers
|Date of birth:December 9, 1992|
|Place of birth: Miami, Florida|
|Undrafted in 2016|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Carolina Panthers ( 2016– 2017)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Consensus All-American (2015)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
Jeremy Cash (born December 9, 1992) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Duke, and was signed by the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent in 2016.
Cash attended Plantation High School in Broward County, near Fort Lauderdale. As a sophomore, he posted 82 total tackles, nine sacks and an interception. As a junior, he collected 96 tackles, 23 of them for loss, 7 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 5 forced fumbles. As a senior in 2010, he missed five games due to a knee injury. Cash also lettered in basketball and track and field at Plantation, recording times of 11.76 seconds in the 100-meter dash and 24.06 in the 200-meter dash.
Cash was rated by Rivals.com as a three-star recruit and was charted as the No. 25 safety in the country. He committed to Ohio State University to play college football in the spring of his junior year (April 2010). The decision was based in large part on his comfort level with then-coach Jim Tressel. Cash bypassed his last semester in high school to enroll at Ohio State early, in January 2011. He also had scholarship offers from Florida State, Colorado, Nebraska, South Florida, Arizona State and Wisconsin before making his collegiate selection.
Cash attended Ohio State for one year. He played in five games and made three tackles. In January 2012, he transferred to Duke University. After sitting out 2012 due to NCAA transfer rules, Cash started all 13 games in 2013. He recorded 121 tackles and had three interceptions. He again started all 13 games in 2014 and recorded 111 tackles, two interceptions and 5.5 sacks. Cash considered entering the 2015 NFL Draft, but decided to return to Duke for his senior year.
As a senior in 2015, Cash recorded 100 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, eight quarterback pressures, four pass breakups, three forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery in 12 games. He earned multiple national defensive player of the week honors for racking up 12 total tackles, three tackles for loss, a quarterback sack and forcing two fumbles as Duke upset No. 20-ranked Georgia Tech, 34-20. Cash was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year on December 2, becoming the first Blue Devils player to earn the award since it debuted in 1993. He was the first Duke player to win either of the player of the year awards since running back Robert Baldwin was the offensive and overall player of the year in 1994. He received 19 votes, ahead of Clemson defensive end Shaq Lawson (13), Pittsburgh defensive end Ejuan Price (7), Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey (7), Louisville defensive end Sheldon Rankins (2), Virginia Tech defensive tackle Luther Maddy (1) and Virginia safety Quin Blanding (1).
He was also a finalist for the Lott Impact Trophy, the Chuck Bednarik Award, and the Jim Thorpe Award while earning Consensus All-American Honors. Cash was named Carmen Falcone MVP of Duke football at an award banquet. On December 16, 2015 it was announced that Cash would forgo Duke's Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana to have wrist surgery.
|Regular season statistics||Tackles||Interceptions||Fumbles|
Once his collegiate career was finished, many analysts projected him to be drafted in the second or third round. He was invited to the combine but did not do any drills or workouts due to a hamstring and wrist injury. He was able to perform the bench press by the time Duke's Pro Day came and did 13 reps of 225 lbs. It was reported ten teams had showed up at Duke's Pro Day including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, and Atlanta Falcons. Cash was able to perform the position drills for scouts at his private workout. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Cash's projected draft position fell to the fourth or fifth round. Scouts said his best attributes were his size, physicality, and how well he plays in the box. His problems handling man coverage was his biggest issue.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0 in||212 lb32 ⅜ in10 ½ in|
After going undrafted in the 2016 NFL Draft, Cash signed with the Carolina Panthers on May 2, 2016. As soon as the draft concluded, 20 NFL teams immediately contacted Cash and offered to sign him as an undrafted free agent. He chose to sign with the Carolina Panthers, who signed him as an outside linebacker and intended for him to play one of the hybrid linebacker roles that have become popular among NFL teams in recent years, like Deone Bucannon of the Arizona Cardinals and Mark Barron of the Los Angeles Rams, who have had success after switching from safety. Cash gained 16 pounds and ate 4-5 meals a day to prepare for the position. Throughout the preseason, he played well on special teams and played prominently on kick and punt coverage once the season began with all the linebacker roles taken by proven veterans.
On September 30, 2017, Cash was placed on injured reserve with a calf injury. He was released by the team on October 3, 2017.
New York JetsEdit
New York Giants Edit
On March 16, 2018, Cash was claimed off waivers by the Arizona Cardinals. On August 13, 2018, Cash was waived/injured by the Cardinals after suffering a torn ACL and MCL during the preseason and was placed on injured reserve.
- ↑ "Duke". newsobserver. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article10073639.html.
- ↑ "Jeremy Cash". yahoo.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Jeremy-Cash-100167.
- ↑ "Sammy Batten: Ohio State transfer Jeremy Cash on the money for Duke". Fayetteville Observer. http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/columns/sammy-batten-ohio-state-transfer-jeremy-cash-on-the-money/article_ef35b760-c076-594f-93e0-a1e654f0bf24.html.
- ↑ "Former Buckeye Jeremy Cash: ‘Not much feeling’ for Ohio State title victory". starnewsonline.com. http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/48631/former-buckeye-jeremy-cash-not-much-feeling-for-ohio-state-title-victory/.
- ↑ "How Jeremy Cash personifies Duke football's rise". USA TODAY. July 22, 2015. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2015/07/22/duke-football-jeremy-cash-ohio-state-transfer/30500889/.
- ↑ "Top 10 most important Duke football players: No. 3 Jeremy Cash". newsobserver. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article27905293.html.
- ↑ "Jeremy Cash thinking big, for Duke and himself". charlotteobserver. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article27970732.html.
- ↑ "Duke Blue Devils safety Jeremy Cash will return for senior season". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12138084/duke-blue-devils-safety-jeremy-cash-return-senior-season.
- ↑ Steve WisemanHerald-Sun (January 8, 2015). "Duke all-America S Jeremy Cash spurns NFL, to return for Blue Devils". The Herald-Sun. http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke-all-america-s-jeremy-cash-spurns-nfl-to-return/article_3e580fc2-92b4-54ac-a1e6-56c343817a78.html.
- ↑ "Jeremy Cash Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514548/jeremy-cash. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- ↑ "NFLdraftscout.com Jeremy Cash/Duke, SS: 2016 NFL Draft".
- ↑ Matthew Stevens (April 13, 2016). "2016 NFL Draft: Panthers appear at Duke Safety Jeremy Cash's Pro Day".
- ↑ "NFL draft profile: Jeremy Cash".
- ↑ Strickland, Bryan (May 2, 2016). "Panthers agree to terms with seven college free agents". Panthers.com. https://web.archive.org/web/20171222053149/http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/panthers-agree-to-terms-with-seven-college-free-agents/2544ff28-b9a0-41bf-911a-65565700c3ca. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- ↑ David Newton (September 3, 2016). "Jeremy Cash may have literally eaten his way onto the Panther's 53-man roster".
- ↑ Strickland, Bryan (September 30, 2017). "Bryan Cox replaces Jeremy Cash on roster". https://www.panthers.com/news/bryan-cox-replaces-jeremy-cash-on-roster-19479790.
- ↑ Greenberg, Ethan (October 24, 2017). "Jets Activate CB Nelson, Release RB Cadet". https://web.archive.org/web/20171027083249/http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Activate-CB-Nelson-Release-RB-Cadet/6ac6d77a-4996-493a-b585-766071bce6fb.
- ↑ Allen, Eric (November 24, 2017). "WR-KR Lucky Whitehead Added to Practice Squad". https://web.archive.org/web/20180221011151/http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/WR-KR-Lucky-Whitehead-Added-to-Practice-Squad/849c42fb-50a0-43a7-81ec-c7299a9423d8.
- ↑ Eisen, Michael (November 27, 2017). "Giants place OL Fluker, CB Deayon, LB Grant, and LB Skinner on IR". https://web.archive.org/web/20171201040230/http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-place-OL-Fluker-CB-Deayon-LB-Grant-and-LB-Skinner-on-IR/d90188eb-a92d-4818-9316-5ed79cacba98.
- ↑ Eisen, Michael (December 19, 2017). "Giants activate DE Romeo Okwara". https://web.archive.org/web/20180316050555/http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-activate-DE-Romeo-Okwara/1d91a5a2-8fcb-4844-9cf6-a1d2fc531b3b.
- ↑ "Browns claim LB Jeremy Cash". December 20, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20180209111904/http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-claim-LB-Jeremy-Cash/7faddee4-86d9-403c-a823-d2254e7c9ffb.
- ↑ "Browns release 10 players". March 15, 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20180316084839/http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-release-10-players/7c2c22f0-17fa-4a0d-873e-a35187f70462.
- ↑ Urban, Darren (March 16, 2018). "Offensive Line Help With Andre Smith Signing". https://web.archive.org/web/20180317102926/http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Offensive-Line-Help-With-Andre-Smith-Signing/191737c0-4e37-4bf4-94d5-8549432c6c62.
- ↑ Urban, Darren (August 13, 2018). "Jeremy Cash Waived After Injury, Cardinals Sign Gerald Hodges". https://www.azcardinals.com/news/jeremy-cash-waived-after-injury-cardinals-sign-gerald-hodges.