| refer to caption |
Worthy with the Green Bay Packers in 2012
|Born:||April 26, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||308 lb (140 kg)|
|High school:||Huber Heights (OH) Wayne|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 51|
|Career highlights and awards
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Jerel Worthy (born April 26, 1990) is an American football defensive tackle who is a free agent. He was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football for Michigan State, where he was recognized as a consensus All-American.
Worthy was born in Dayton, Ohio. He originally attended Chaminade-Julienne High School in Dayton, Ohio but then transferred to Wayne High School in Huber Heights, where he played high school football for the Wayne Warriors. As a senior for the Warriors, Worthy recorded 50 tackles, 10.5 sacks and 12 hurries. Worthy was also responsible for seven pass breakups and two fumble recoveries 
Worthy's performance during his senior season earned him a spot on the Superprep and Prepstars Midwest Teams.
Coming out of High School, Worthy was ranked the 53rd Best Defensive Tackle by Rivals.com, 78th by Scout.com, and 93rd by Scouts Inc. He was also invited to play June 14 Big 33 Football Classic. Worthy received scholarship offers from Michigan State, Akron, Cincinnati, Marshall, Nebraska, and Ohio. He was six foot two inches, 288 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds who bench pressed a maximum of 335 pounds and squatted a maximum of 470 pounds. He had a 2.8 Grade-point average.
Worthy attended Michigan State University, where he played for the Michigan State Spartans football team from 2009 to 2011. Worthy was redshirted for his freshman year but was still named the scout team defensive player of the week versus Eastern Michigan. Coming on to the scene in 2009, he started 11 of 13 games and ranked second on the team for tackles for loss and sacks. He was named a midseason All-Big Ten and All-American by Phil Steele. At the end of the season, he was named as a freshman All-American
As a sophomore, Worthy started all 13 games at defensive tackle and lead the linemen with 40 tackles, eight of which went for a loss. He also had a team best four sacks. He was a collegefootballnews.com All-Sophomore second team selection, honorable mention Big-Ten selection by the coaches and media, and was presented Michigan State's Outstanding Underclassman Award.
For what turned out to be his final season at Michigan State, Worthy had 30 tackles (10.5 for loss), 3.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hurries, and 14 hits during the regular season. He was named a consensus first-team All-American honors by the Associated Press. He was also an All-Big ten selection from the coaches and media. Worthy became the first defensive tackle since Ronald Curl in 1971 to be named an All-American at Michigan State.
Worthy was predicted to be a late first round to second round draft pick. Scouts talked about his size and called him thick and powerful. They also stated that he had enough speed to "shoot through the gap" Scouts also discussed his inconsistency and that his reputation was better than his actual production. It was also stated that he struggled in space and could not translate his weight enough to make tackles on the ball carrier.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2⅜ in||309 lb||5.08 s||4.56 s||7.60 s||28½ in||8 ft 9 in|
Green Bay Packers
New England Patriots
On August 12, 2014, Worthy was traded to the New England Patriots for a conditional late round draft choice in the 2015 NFL Draft, pending a physical. He was waived by the Patriots on August 30, 2014.
Kansas City Chiefs
On September 9, 2014, Worthy signed with the Kansas City Chiefs' practice squad. He was released on October 21, 2014, but re-signed to the practice squad 5 days later. On December 31, he signed a futures contract with the Chiefs. He was waived on August 3, 2015.
On November 24, 2015, Worthy was signed to the Buffalo Bills' practice squad. On December 22, 2015, Worthy was signed to the active roster. He appeared in the final two games of the 2015 season and in 13 games in 2016.
On November 14, 2017, Worthy was released by the Bills.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On January 6, 2019, Worthy joined the Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football. However, he was placed on injured reserve before the start of the regular season, and activated on March 5, 2019.
- "| , : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". September 21, 2006. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85038&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Prisco, Pete (May 1, 2011). "Flash forward: Top 32 picks for the 2012 NFL Draft". CBSSports.com. Archived from the original on September 28, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110928011232/http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15014424/flash-forward-top-32-picks-for-the-2012-nfl-draft.
- Pauline, Tony (May 3, 2011). "Stanford's Luck headlines early look at top 2012 draft prospects". Sports Illustrated. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/05/03/2012.prospects/.
- Reuter, Chad (May 4, 2011). "2012 mock draft: First look with Luck and Heels". CBSSports.com. Archived from the original on May 22, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120522225342/http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/15029593/mock-draft-first-look-with-luck-and-heels.
- "Jerel Worthy". Michigan State University. http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/worthy_jerel00.html. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Jerel Worthy Profile". Rivals.com. https://sports.yahoo.com/michiganstate/football/recruiting/player-Jerel-Worthy-60342. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Steele, Phil (2009). "Phil Steele". Phil Steele. http://philsteele.com/fbsinfo/FBSAllConf/2009midssnallconf/Midseason_BigTen.html. Retrieved May 7, 2012.[dead link]
- "2009 Freshman All-American". AOL. December 16, 2009. http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2009-12-16/sporting-news-freshman-all-america-team. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "AP All-American football team". Associated Press. December 13, 2011. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2011/12/ap_all-american_football_team.html. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Slagter, Josh (January 4, 2012). "Report: Michigan State All-American Jerel Worthy hires agent, headed to NFL". Mlive.com. http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/01/report_michigan_states_jerel_w.html. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player- Jerel Worthy". http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jerel-worthy?id=2533052. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Cambell, Charlie. "Jerel Worthy Scouting Report". Walterfootball. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jworthy.php. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Jerel Worthy 2012 NFL Draft". ESPN. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=28009&_slug_=jerel-worthy&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d28009%26_slug_%3djerel-worthy. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Packers trade up to take Worthy". Associated Press. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/04/27/packers.jerel.worthy.ap/index.html. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Wesseling, Chris (August 12, 2014). "Packers trade DL Jerel Worthy to Patriots". NFL.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377170/article/jerel-worth-to-be-traded-from-packers-to-patriots?campaign=Facebook_atl_wesseling. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Chiefs Sign Former Packer Jerel Worthy to Practice Squad". September 9, 2014. https://sports.yahoo.com/news/chiefs-sign-former-packer-jerel-203101631.html. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Wilkening, Mike. "Chiefs release DE Jerel Worthy from practice squad". Pro Football Talk. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/21/chiefs-release-de-jerel-worthy-from-practice-squad/. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- Martin, Keiana (January 20, 2015). "Chiefs Sign 19 To Reserve/Futures Contracts". http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Sign-19-To-ReserveFutures-Contracts/3270d295-cf1e-4ac8-8eb1-6913d08d481a. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Brown, Chris (November 14, 2017). "Bills sign DT Deandre Coleman". http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-sign-DT-Deandre-Coleman/a54de275-3997-4a41-86b2-91ff302e9e0b.
- Smith, Scott (August 20, 2018). "Bucs Add Jerel Worthy to Battered Line". https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-add-jerel-worthy-to-battered-line.
- Smith, Scott (October 1, 2018). "Bucs Release DT Jerel Worthy". https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-release-dt-jerel-worthy.
- "Orlando Apollos Daily Update". Our Sports Central. January 6, 2019. https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/orlando-apollos-daily-update/n-5434923. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- "Orlando Apollos Set Final Roster". Our Sports Central. January 30, 2019. https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/orlando-apollos-set-final-roster/n-5442986. Retrieved February 6, 2019.