|Born||May 28, 1953|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
4 C-USA (1996–1997, 1999, 2003)
1 C-USA East Division (2006)
1990s C-USA Coach of the Decade
3x C-USA Coach of the Year
Jeffrey Jon Bower (born May 28, 1953) is a former American football player and coach. He served as the head football coach at University of Southern Mississippi for 18 seasons, from 1990 to 2007, compiling a record of 119–83–1. Bower assumed the role of head coach at Southern Miss on December 2, 1990 and announced his retirement on November 26, 2007, effective after the 2007 PapaJohns.com Bowl, which was played on December 22. The Golden Eagles had a winning record in Bowers' final 14 seasons and played in a bowl game in 10 of his last 11 seasons.
Early life and playing careerEdit
Bower grew up in Roswell, Georgia, where he attended Roswell High School. He led the football team to two state championships and became a prep All-American, one of the school's first. He also started for two state champion baseball teams and one state champion basketball squad. He was named Class A Player of the year and played in the state All-Star game.
Bower started his college football career at the University of Georgia before transferring to Southern Miss. He started as quarterback in 1973. His career records from 1973 to 1975 are still in the top five for many of the school's passing statistics, including third all-time in passing percentage.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Southern Miss Golden Eagles (NCAA Division I-A independent) (1990–1995)|
|1990||Southern Miss||0–1||L All-American|
|Southern Miss Golden Eagles (Conference USA) (1996–2007)|
|1997||Southern Miss||9–3||6–0||1st||W Liberty||19||19|
|1998||Southern Miss||7–5||5–1||2nd||L Humanitarian|
|1999||Southern Miss||9–3||6–0||1st||W Liberty||13||14|
|2000||Southern Miss||8–4||4–3||3rd||W Mobile Alabama|
|2002||Southern Miss||7–6||5–4||4th||L Houston|
|2003||Southern Miss||9–4||8–0||1st||L Liberty|
|2004||Southern Miss||7–5||5–3||3rd||W New Orleans|
|2005||Southern Miss||7–5||5–3||3rd (East)||W New Orleans|
|2006||Southern Miss||9–5||6–3||1st (East)||W GMAC|
|2007||Southern Miss||7–6||5–3||4th (East)||L PapaJohns.com|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
| †Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll. |
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
Assistant coaches under Bower who became college head coaches:
- Paul Petrino: Idaho (2013–present)
- John Thompson: East Carolina (2003–2004)
- Everett Withers: North Carolina (2011), James Madison (2014–2015), Texas State (2016–2018)
- ↑ "WDAM: Bower quits as Southern Miss coach". http://www.wdam.com/Global/story.asp?S=7410795.
- ↑ Doherty, Tim (August 26, 2007). "Master of Consistency: Mississippi's dean of coaches just keeps winning". The Clarion-Ledger (Gannett Company). Archived from the original on February 13, 2015. http://archive.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070826/SPORTS030107/708260330/1314.
- ↑ "Bower resigns as Southern Miss coach after 14th winning season". Associated Press. November 26, 2007. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128077. Retrieved June 9, 2009.