|Born||October 19, 1873|
Decota, Alameda County, California
|Died||November 7, 1914 (aged 41)|
Niles, Alameda County, California
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley (1900)|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
College Football Data Warehouse
James Ray Whipple (October 19, 1873 – November 7, 1914) was an American football coach in the United States.
Whipple attended the University of California, Berkeley and graduated in the class of 1900. He also played on the football team, captaining the team in 1899. During that season, Whipple was banned from playing a match held on Thanksgiving Day due to his academic deficiencies. Whipple however defied the order and participated in the match anyways, and was suspended on December 9, 1899 until January of the New Year.
After his work at California, Coach Whipple was the head coach for the Hillsdale Chargers located in Hillsdale, Michigan. He held that position for the 1907 season. His coaching record at Hillsdale was 4 wins and 2 losses. As of the conclusion of the 2009 season, this ranks him #18 at Hillsdale in total wins and #7 at the school in winning percentage (.667).
Head coaching recordEdit
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.|
- ↑ 
- ↑ "California's Captain Disbarred.". The San Francisco Chronicle: p. 8. November 16, 1899. http://www.newspapers.com/image/27435766/?terms=James+R.+Whipple. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- ↑ "Whipple Gets Off Lightly". The San Francisco Chronicle: p. 11. December 9, 1899. http://www.newspapers.com/image/27522828/?terms=James+R.+Whipple. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- ↑ "James R. Whipple Records by Year". College Football Data Warehouse. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=2481. Retrieved 2007-12-01.
- ↑ "Hillsdale Chargers 2010 Media Guide". Hillsdale College. http://www.hillsdalesites.org/chargers/football/2010/2010HCFBmediaguide.pdf. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- ↑ "Whipple--Thane". Oakland Tribune: p. 6. May 21, 1898. http://www.newspapers.com/image/68005237/?terms=James+R.+Whipple. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- ↑ 
|This biographical article relating to a college football coach first appointed in the 1900s is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|