Saxon in 2012 as Minnesota Vikings running backs coach
|Running backs coach|
|Date of birth:March 23, 1966|
|Place of birth: Beaufort, South Carolina|
|High School: Burton (SC) Battery Creek|
|College: San Jose State|
|Debuted in 1988 for the Kansas City Chiefs|
|Last played in 1995 for the Philadelphia Eagles|
|Made coaching debut in 1997 for the Rutgers Scarlet Knights|
| As player:|
*Kansas City Chiefs (1988–1991)
| As coach:|
*Rutgers (NCAA I-A) (RB) (1997–1998)
|Career highlights and awards|
|Yards per carry||3.7|
James Elijah Saxon (born March 23, 1966) is an American football coach and former running back who is currently the running backs coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the National Football League. He played college football at San Jose State before playing in the NFL from 1988 to 1995.
Early life and college careerEdit
Born in Beaufort, South Carolina, James Saxon graduated from Battery Creek High School in Burton, South Carolina in 1984. Saxon moved to Sacramento, California to attend American River College and played on its football team from 1984 to 1985. Then, Saxon transferred to San Jose State University. Saxon played for the San Jose State Spartans football team in 1986 and 1987 as running back and was part of the Spartans' 1986 California Bowl championship team.
Professional playing careerEdit
Saxon was selected in the sixth round of the 1988 NFL Draft as the 135th overall pick. As a fullback, Saxon played for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1988 to 1991, Miami Dolphins from 1992 to 1994, and Philadelphia Eagles in 1995.
In 1997, Saxon got his first coaching job as running backs coach at Rutgers University, a position he would have for two years. Saxon also served as a training camp coaching intern for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1998. In 1999, Saxon took classes at Menlo College and California State University, Hayward to complete credits for a degree and was a volunteer assistant coach for Menlo.
Saxon then became running backs coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2000 and held the same positions for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2001 to 2007, Miami Dolphins from 2008 to 2010, and Minnesota Vikings from 2010 to 2013. He was hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers on January 28, 2014.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "James Saxon". Minnesota Vikings. http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/james-saxon/92dc8f2b-fda0-4c70-8825-fad6675ea901. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- ↑ http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/james-saxon-1.html
- ↑ http://www.nfl.com/player/jamessaxon/2502848/profile
- ↑ http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SaxoJa00.htm
- ↑ "Chiefs Name James Saxon as Running Backs Coach". Kansas City Chiefs. January 22, 2001. http://staff2.kcchiefs.com/news/2001/01/23/chiefs_name_james_saxon_as_running_backs_coach/. Retrieved October 2, 2013.