|Date of birth:||May 16, 1889|
|Place of birth:||Youngstown, Ohio|
|Date of death:||October 16, 1966 (age 77)|
|Place of death:||Youngstown, Ohio|
James Russell McKay (May 16, 1889 – October 16, 1966) was an American football player. A native of Youngstown, Ohio, McKay played college football at the halfback position for Brown University in 1909 and 1910 and was selected as the captain of the 1910 Brown Bears football team. In 1910, he was selected as a first-team All-American by the Evening Standard, as determined by the consensus among the various Eastern football experts who picked All-American teams. He was also named a first-team All-American by The New York Sun, and by Ted Coy, and as a second-team All-American by Walter Camp. After graduating from Brown, McKay returned to Youngstown where he worked as a lawyer. He became a vice president at Home Savings & Loan in Youngstown. He died in Youngstown in 1966 at age 77. He was posthumously inducted into the Brown Hall of Fame in 1971.
- ↑ "Brown Elects McKay Captain". The New York Times. December 7, 1909. https://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=990DE3D71630E733A25754C0A9649D946897D6CF.
- ↑ Foster, John (1910-12-25). "1910 Review of Star Players on Gridiron: Consensus Team for 1910". The Anaconda Standard.
- ↑ "Paper Elevens of New York Critics: Kilpatrick Heads List of All Selections; Unanimous for Sprackling". Anaconda Standard. 1910-12-01.
- ↑ "All-American Elevens for 1910 Season: New York Scribes Select Best Players From Performances During the Past Year". San Antonio Light and Gazette. 1910-11-28.
- ↑ "All American Team Includes Munk". The Cornell Daily Sun. November 28, 1910. http://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/cornell?a=d&d=CDS19101128.2.1&srpos=&dliv=none&st=1&e=--------20--1-----all---.
- ↑ "Three Westerners Selected By Camp: Benbrook and Wells of Michigan and Walker of Minnesota Named for All-American". The Indianapolis Star. 1910-12-11.
- ↑ Draft registration card for James Russell McKay, born May 16, 1889, in Youngstown, Ohio. Registration State: Ohio; Registration County: Mahoning; Roll: 1851307; Draft Board: 1. Ancestry.com. U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918 [database on-line].
- ↑ Draft registration card for James Russell McKay, born May 16, 1889, in Youngstown. Ancestry.com. U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 [database on-line].
- ↑ Ancestry.com and Ohio Department of Health. Ohio, Deaths, 1908–1932, 1938–2007 [database on-line].
- ↑ "J. Russell McKay". Brown University Athletic Department. http://www.brownbears.com/exceptional_bears/hallfame/Bios/mckay_j._russell00.html. Retrieved January 6, 2015.