Sheard in training camp
|No. 97 Cleveland Browns|
|Date of birth:May 10, 1989|
|Place of birth: Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|High School: Hollywood (FL) Hills|
|Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||Weight: 255 lb (116 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 2 / Pick: 37|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Cleveland Browns|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
He is described as someone who has not gotten enough credit on the Pittsburgh defensive line and noted for his "extraordinary game" against Notre Dame and the pressure he put on quarterback Jimmy Clausen. He had four tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, one pass breakup and four quarterback hurries in the game, as he "simply overwhelmed right tackle Sam Young off the edge with his speed". Commentator Wes Bunting describes Sheard, a 6–4, 260-pound lineman, as being balanced and exhibiting impressive body control, "an explosive first step", and "keeping his pad level down and making himself small when turning the corner". As a junior in 2009 Sheard was overshadowed by teammate and fellow defensive lineman Greg Romeus, but "is a gifted pass rusher in his own right, and his combination of burst, balance and closing speed will find him a spot on an NFL roster". Dave Wannstedt, Pittsburgh's coach and a former National Football League (NFL) coach has also said the he thinks Sheard and Romeus will both play in the NFL.
Teammate and Brandon Lindsey, who relieves Romeus and Sheard, credited them with helping him develop as a player saying, "They’ve really shown me how to work hard every day in practice and to not get frustrated when things don’t go your way." The Panthers lead the country in sacks.
Sheard was suspended from the Pitt Football team indefinitely after his July 18, 2010 arrest on charges stemming from an off-campus brawl that occurred on East Carson Street in Pittsburgh. He was restored to the team after charges were reduced to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct, and paid restitution for injuries and damages incurred during the fight.
He started all 16 games for the Browns and led them in sacks (8.5) and forced fumbles (5). Teammate Phil Taylor and Sheard were chosen to the Pro Football Weekly 2011 All-Rookie Team. Sheard recorded his first career sack and forced fumble against the Indianapolis Colts in week 2 and recorded a career-high 2 sacks against the Arizona Cardinals in week 15.
- Wes Bunting Where's the love Scout’s notebook: defensive review
- Ron Cook Romeus, Sheard put bite in Pitt's defense November 27, 2009 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Alex Oltmanns Football: Given an opportunity, Lindsey finds success on the field 22 November 2009 The Pitt News
- Fearless Predictions: Cincy vs. Pitt and more College Football News (Fox Sports)
- Ove, Torsten (19 July 2010). "Pitt player refused to stop beating man, police said". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://post-gazette.com/pg/10200/1073820-100.stm.
- Bennett, Brian (2010-08-04). "Jabaal Sheard's return is huge for Pitt". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/10893/jabaal-sheards-return-huge-for-pitt. Retrieved 2010-12-04.