|No. 80 – Carolina Panthers|
|Born:||June 6, 1996|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||260 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Digital Harbor|
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 4 / Pick: 101|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Ian Thomas (born June 6, 1995) is an American football tight end for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Indiana, and was drafted by the Panthers in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
Thomas's mother Martha died due to liver and kidney failure before Thomas was nine. His father died a year later due to a heart attack.
Thomas graduated from Nassau Community College in 2016, and joined Indiana for his junior year. Thomas played all 13 games during his first year at Indiana, acting as a blocking tight end and only recording only 3 catches. During his senior year, after a game against Georgia Southern, in which he had a 71 yard touchdown, Thomas was named the Mackey Award Tight End of the Week. As a Senior, Thomas had 25 receptions for 376 yards and 5 touchdowns.
On November 21, 2017, it was reported that Thomas has accepted his invitation to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl. Thomas helped his draft stock by impressing scouts during Senior Bowl practices. On January 27, 2018, Thomas played in the Reese's Senior Bowl and was part of Houston Texans' head coach Bill O'Brien's South team that defeated the North 45–16. He participated at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and performed the majority of combine drills, but opted to skip the bench press due to a pre-existing shoulder injury.
|16px Ian Thomas' NFL Combine Workout|
|16px ESPN Prospect Profile: Ian Thomas|
On April 3, 2018, Thomas attended Indiana's pro day, but chose to stand on his combine numbers and only ran positional drills. He also attended private meetings and workouts with the Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, his draft projections by NFL draft experts and scouts varied from as early as the second round to as late as the seventh round. The majority of experts projected him to be drafted in the second or third round. Thomas was also ranked as the fifth best tight end prospect in the draft by DraftScout.com and CBS Sports and was ranked the sixth best tight end by Scouts Inc.
|Ht||WtArm lengthHand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in||259 lb32½ in10½ in||4.65 s||1.56 s||2.70 s||4.20 s||7.15 s||36 in||10 ft 3 in|
|16px Panthers draft Ian Thomas 101st overall|
On May 10, 2018, the Carolina Panthers signed Thomas to a four-year, $3.20 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $747,994. He made his NFL debut in the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys. In the 16–8 victory, he had four receiving yards on his first two career receptions.
- ↑ Shankle, Kris (March 21, 2018). "Ian Thomas' Search For Greatness Has Been a Long and Winding Road". The Hoosier Huddle. http://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/ian-thomas-search-for-greatness-has-been-a-long-and-winding-road/2018/3/21. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- ↑ Miller, Mike (August 28, 2017). "Thomas hungry to make a difference at tight end this fall". Hoosier Sports Report. https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/08/thomas-hungry-to-make-a-difference-at-tight-end-this-fall/. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- ↑ "Indiana's Ian Thomas Named Mackey Award Tight End of the Week". September 27, 2017. http://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/indianas-ian-thomas-named-mackey-award-tight-end-of-the-week/2017/9/27. Retrieved April 4, 2017.
- ↑ Miller, Mike (November 20, 2017). "Thomas accepts invite to Senior Bowl". Hoosier Sports Report. https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/11/thomas-accepts-invite-to-senior-bowl/. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- ↑ "Thomas accepts Senior Bowl invite". November 21, 2017. https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/11/21/football-thomas-accepts-senior-bowl-invite.aspx. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- ↑ "IU football's Ian Thomas turning NFL heads at tight end". https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/04/18/iu-footballs-ian-thomas-turning-nfl-heads-tight-end/528632002/. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- ↑ "NFL Ian Thomas -ESPN". http://espn.com/nfl/draftcard?playerId=101623&src=desktop. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- ↑ "Ian Thomas, DS #5 TE, Indiana". http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1025986&draftyear=2018&genpos=TE. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- ↑ Strickland, Bryan (April 28, 2018). "Panthers draft Ian Thomas in fourth round". https://web.archive.org/web/20180521021253/http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-draft-Ian-Thomas-in-fourth-round/27a9091c-d9b0-4066-bd2e-1af80e5000e0. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- ↑ "Spotrac.com: Ian Thomas contract". https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/ian-thomas-25202/. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- ↑ "Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers - September 9th, 2018" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809090car.htm.