Johnson in September 2009
|No. -- Free Agent|
|Date of birth:January 29, 1985|
|Place of birth: Monroe, Louisiana|
|Height: 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)||Weight: 360 lb (163 kg)|
|College: Louisiana State|
|NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 5 / Pick: 167|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2010|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Herman Johnson (born January 29, 1985 in Olla, Louisiana) is an American football guard who is a free agent. He was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at LSU.
Johnson has also been a member of the Chicago Bears
At birth, Johnson weighed 15 pounds and 14 ounces, making him the largest baby ever born in the state of Louisiana. After the reports of his record birth, Bill Arnsparger, LSU’s Head Football Coach, offered baby Herman a football scholarship in anticipation of his future size.
Johnson played college football at Louisiana State University from 2004 to 2008. He finished his career starting 38 of 52 games for the Tigers and was a member of their 2007 national championship team.
Johnson was drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. According to The Sporting News, Johnson was regarded as "somewhat of a 'tweener because he is almost too tall to play guard in most teams' schemes, but at the same time he lacks the athleticism to play tackle effectively in the NFL."
On September 3, 2010, Johnson was cut from the Arizona Cardinals in order to make the 53 man limit for the 2011 season. He was later placed on the team's practice squad.
He signed a two-year deal with the Chicago Bears on December 7, 2010. He was waived by Chicago on July 30, 2011.
- "Bears add another young offensive lineman to mix", ChicagoBears.com, December 7, 2010, http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?STORY_ID=7360
- Rivals.com Offensive tackles 2004, http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=530
- "Pro Football War Room: Herman Johnson", SportingNews.com, April 26, 2009, http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2009/players/8240.html
- "Arizona Cardinals Make Cuts, but keep 4 quarterbacks for now", AZCentral.com, September 3, 2010, http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/09/03/20100903arizona-cardinals-cuts-53-man-roster.html
- "Albert Elias: Herman Johnson signs 2 yea". Twitter.com. December 7, 2010. http://twitter.com/AlbertEliasMGMT/statuses/12233067393449984. Retrieved August 3, 2011.