Hynoski in 2012
|Date of birth:December 30, 1988|
|Place of birth: Elysburg, Pennsylvania|
|Undrafted in 2011|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* New York Giants ( 2011– 2014)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|* Super Bowl Champion (XLVI)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
|Receptions / Yards||23 / 133|
Early years[edit | edit source]
Hynoski, nicknamed "Hank the Tank", "Hynoceros", "Polish Hammer" ,"Polish Plow",  was born in Elysburg, Pennsylvania to Henry Sr. and Kathy Hynoski. He is of Polish ancestry — his father's side is from the Mazury area and his mother's parents are from Gdańsk and Suwałki. His paternal grandfather changed his name from Chojnowski to Hynoski after arriving in the US.
High school career[edit | edit source]
Hynoski was a prolific rusher in high school at Southern Columbia Area, finishing his career with 7,165 yards and 113 touchdowns. He led Southern Columbia to four consecutive PIAA class "A" state championships (2003–06). Hynoski is currently tenth on the all-time Pennsylvania high school rushing list, and was regarded as one of the top fullback prospects in the country, being ranked seventh by Rivals and fourth by Scout, in addition to being named the Associated Press Class A player of the year. Despite these accolades he was lightly recruited and he accepted a scholarship offer from Pittsburgh.
College career[edit | edit source]
Hynoski redshirted in 2007, his freshman year, and was primarily a special-teams player in 2008, his redshirt freshman year, where he played in five games and recorded one carry for five yards. He eventually became the starting fullback halfway through 2009, his redshirt sophomore year. In 2010, as a junior, he remained entrenched as Pitt's starting fullback. In early 2011 he announced that he would forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL Draft.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
New York Giants (2011-2015)[edit | edit source]
Hynoski was regarded as one of the best fullbacks available in the 2011 NFL Draft, until he suffered a hamstring injury during the NFL Scouting Combine. Due to the injury, his draft stock fell and he eventually went undrafted; however, soon after the NFL labor dispute was settled he received offers from several teams, subsequently making his decision to play for the New York Giants. Hynoski was given the starting fullback position after the Giants cut veteran Madison Hedgecock due to injury.
Hynoski had no rushing statistics in his rookie season of 2011, being used primarily as a lead blocker for running backs Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs. Hynoski did catch 12 passes for 83 yards (a 6.9 yard per reception average). On February 5, 2012, Hynoski became a Super Bowl champion in Super Bowl XLVI, with a 21-17 win over the New England Patriots. He caught two passes for 19 yards in the game, and recovered a potentially costly Hakeem Nicks fumble in the third quarter. On December 30, 2012, he scored his first touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles. On September 5, 2015, the Giants released Hynoski.
Coaching Career[edit | edit source]
Hynoski currently is the head football coach and Dean of Students at Shamokin Area High School in Coal Township, Pa.
References[edit | edit source]
- Tomek Moczerniuk. "Henry Hynoski: a "Polish Cinderella" story". papatomski.com. http://www.papatomski.com/2012/01/henry-hynoski-polish-cinderella-story.html. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- "In 1975, Henry Hynoski Sr. waited to see where his future in the NFL might take him". Newsitem.com. http://newsitem.com/sports/in-1975-henry-hynoski-sr-waited-to-see-where-his-future-in-the-nfl-might-take-him-1.1139260#axzz1kUm4HhMK. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- Hynoski, Henry. "Henry Hynoski Player Bio-University of Pittsburgh". http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hynoski_henry00.html.
- Metro - Jacobs ready to carry Giants running game Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Webarchive/data' not found.
- Schwartz, Paul (September 7, 2011). "Giants can't pass on running ball more". New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/gilbride_must_give_jacobs_bradshaw_kj1KpF2BgtpwWRLlvy0yHN.
- Hynoski, Henry. "Henry Hynoski NFL Player Stats". http://www.nfl.com/player/henryhynoski/2530699/profile.
- Eisen, Michael (September 5, 2015). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-York-Giants-announce-53-man-roster/d90c09c7-4a11-4260-b545-8dd3a1fa0671. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Super Bowl XLVI - New York Giants vs. New England Patriots - February 5th, 2012" (in en). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201202050nwe.htm.