| refer to caption |
Kiel at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, 2012
|Born:||July 23, 1993|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Columbus (IN) East|
|Career highlights and awards
Gunner Trey Kiel (born July 23, 1993) is an American football quarterback who is currently a free agent. He played college football for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and later for the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Kiel originally committed to Indiana University, before decommitting and committing to Louisiana State University. He then decommitted and officially enrolled at the University of Notre Dame on January 17, 2012.
On April 10, 2013, Kiel announced he would transfer to the University of Cincinnati for the 2013 season. After sitting out the 2013 season as required by NCAA transfer rules, Kiel made his college debut on September 12, 2014 against the Toledo Rockets. He threw six touchdown passes in that game, the most by an FBS quarterback in a first game. Kiel finished the season with 3,254 passing yards, second most in the American Athletic Conference. His 31 touchdown passes led the conference and tied the school record. Kiel was 18 yards short of tying the Cincinnati school record for single season passing yards when he exited the Military Bowl in the third quarter with a head injury.
Kiel began the 2015 season as Cincinnati's starter. He was plagued with injuries throughout the year, being replaced by backup Hayden Moore on several occasions. Kiel missed two games after being hospitalized with a head injury in Cincinnati's game against Memphis. He did not travel with the team to their bowl game in Hawaii, citing personal problems.
Prior to the 2016 season, Cincinnati head coach, Tommy Tuberville, announced that Kiel, now a fifth-year senior, would be the third-string quarterback behind sophomore Hayden Moore (starter) and redshirt freshman Ross Trail (second-string). On October 20, Kiel was named the starter for Cincinnati's homecoming game against East Carolina after Hayden Moore went down with injury. He started the next three games but was benched again when Moore returned from injury.
Gunner's uncle, Blair Kiel (1961-2012) was a quarterback at Notre Dame and played in the National Football League, His brother, Drew Kiel was QB for Illinois State and brother Dusty Kiel, was a QB for Indiana University.
- ↑ Kiel wins Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Football, nears college choice
- ↑ Rivals.com
- ↑ Scout.com
- ↑ Gunner Kiel enrolls at Notre Dame
- ↑ "Kiel leaving Notre Dame". Chicago Tribune. March 7, 2013. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-07/sports/ct-spt-0308-noter-dame-gunner-kiel-football--20130308_1_gunner-kiel-depth-chart-bcs-title.
- ↑ Bromberg, Nick (September 12, 2014). "Gunner Kiel tosses six TDs in college debut as Cincinnati beats Toledo 58–34". Yahoo! Sports. https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/gunner-kiel-tosses-six-tds-in-college-debut-as-cincinnati-beats-toledo-58-34-025106495.html. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "2014 American Athletic Conference Year Summary". Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/american/2014.html.
- ↑ Groeschen, Tom (November 27, 2014). "Ex-Indiana Mr. Football Gunner Kiel thrives at University of Cincinnati". https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/11/27/indystar-mr-football-gunner-kiel-football/19601771/.
- ↑ Hayes, Elton (December 30, 2014). "Kiel's run at records ends, and Colosimo takes reins". https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2014/12/30/gunner-kiel-just-missed-uc-bearcats-passing-yards-record/21063009/.
- ↑ Berkes, Peter (September 24, 2015). "Cincinnati QB Gunner Kiel taken to hospital after hard hit and striking head on turf". SBNation.com. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/24/9395399/cincinnati-gunner-kiel-injury.
- ↑ Groeschen, Tom (December 17, 2015). "Gunner Kiel not making Bearcats trip to Hawaii". https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2015/12/17/gunner-kiel-not-making-uc-bearcats-trip-hawaii/77410944/.
- ↑ Tuberville: Kiel No. 3 on UC QB depth chart
- ↑ "Kiel’s career gets reprieve". The Republic. October 20, 2016. http://www.therepublic.com/2016/10/21/kiels-career-gets-reprieve/. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- ↑ "Football Celebrates Senior Day Friday vs. Memphis". Cincinnati Bearcats Athletics. November 15, 2016. https://gobearcats.com/news/2016/11/15/Football_Celebrates_Senior_Day_Friday_vs_Memphis.aspx.
- ↑ "Gunner Kiel College Stats". Sports Reference LLC. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/gunner-kiel-1.html.
- ↑ Gunner Kiel gets home schooled