|Former names||TECO Arena (1998–2004)|
Everblades Arena (1998)
|Location||11000 Everblades Parkway|
Estero, Florida 33928
|Opened||November 2, 1998|
|Owner||Gale Force Sports and Entertainment|
|Operator||Gale Force Sports and Entertainment|
|Construction cost||$22 million|
($29.6 million in 2020 dollars)
|Structural engineer||LCM Engineering, Inc.|
|Capacity||Center stage: 8,284|
|Florida Everblades (ECHL) (1998–present) |
Florida Gulf Coast Eagles hockey
Florida Tarpons (UIFL) (2012-present)
Florida Firecats (af2) (2001-2009)
Florida Flame (NBADL) (2004-2006)
The arena was first named Everblades Arena in 1998 after the hockey team that played there. TECO Energy was the first company to obtain the naming rights to the building, changing the name to TECO Arena. In 2004, TECO Energy decided they were no longer interested in holding the naming rights. Germain Motor Company bought the rights, and in 2004 the venue was renamed to Germain Arena. This same company, an automobile dealership with locations in Florida, Arkansas, and Ohio, also holds the naming rights to the Germain Amphitheater in Columbus, Ohio.
Germain Arena has been used as a multipurpose venue, primarily hosting the Florida Everblades ECHL ice hockey team and the Florida Tarpons Ultimate Indoor Football League team. It was also the home for the Florida Flame NBA Development League team and the Florida Firecats Arena Football League 2 (af2) team. Additionally, the venue has hosted various concerts, circuses, boxing, mixed martial arts events, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling house shows, World Wrestling Entertainment house shows and Professional Bull Riders events.
Germain Arena is also home to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles Hockey Team of the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). In March 2006 and March 2010, the facility hosted the Division 3 ACHA National Championships and in March 2008 the Division 2 ACHA National Championships. The arena is scheduled to hold the 2012 Division 2 championship.
Starting in December 2000, the arena has been host to an annual college hockey tournament, originally known as the Everblades College Classic, now called the Florida College Hockey Classic. This 4-team tournament is hosted by the University of Maine Black Bears and the Cornell University Big Red, and two other teams are invited each year. The winner is awarded the Ned Harkness Cup.
- ↑ http://www.germainarena.com/pdf_upd/news_23.pdf
- ↑ Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2008. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved December 7, 2010.
- ↑ http://www.emporis.com/application/?lng=3&nav=building&id=222589
- ↑ http://www.walbridge.com/index.cfm/Projects
- ↑ 2006 ACHA Division 3 Championship Website
- ↑ 2008 Men's Division 2 Championship on ACHAChampionships.com
- ↑ Brush Makes Vision Into Reality In Florida ECHL.com 10-22-2007
- The Official Site of Germain Arena
- The Official Site of the Florida Everblades
- The Official Site of the Florida Firecats
- The Official Site of the FGCU Ice Eagles