|First contested||November 10, 1990|
Georgia Tech 6, Virginia Tech 3
|Number of meetings||16|
|Most recent meeting||October 25, 2018|
Georgia Tech 49, Virginia Tech 28
|Next meeting||November 16, 2019 in Atlanta, GA|
|All-time series||Virginia Tech leads, 9–7|
|Largest victory||Virginia Tech, 51–7 (2005)|
|Longest win streak||Virginia Tech, 4 (2010–13)|
|Current streak||Georgia Tech, 3 (2016–present)|
The Georgia Tech–Virginia Tech football rivalry, also known as the TechMo Bowl and Battle of the Techs, is an American college football rivalry between the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Virginia Tech Hokies. Both universities are members of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and play football in the Coastal Division.
As co-members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech regularly meet in all varsity sports in which both schools field a team. The rivalry is most pronounced on the football field, however, where the schools play annually in the ACC's Coastal Division, oftentimes with significant divisional implications.
Prior to the Hokies joining the ACC in 2004, the two teams had only met once previously (an additional scheduled meeting in 2000 was canceled due to extreme weather). Since the ACC adopted divisional format for football, one of these two teams had represented the ACC Coastal Division in every ACC Championship Game except the 2013 season when Duke won the Coastal, 2015 when UNC won the division, in 2017 when Miami won the division, and in 2018 when Pitt won the division. 
The rivalry has become a significant annual matchup within the ACC. The intra-conference game has in the recent past played a key part in determining the winner of the ACC Coastal Division. From 2005 (the first year of divisional play in the ACC) until 2011 the winner of this game won the Coastal Division every year, with VT winning five times and GT winning twice. In 2012, Georgia Tech represented the Coastal Division in the ACC Championship game despite losing to Virginia Tech to start the season. The rivalry has seen both teams come into the game ranked in the top 25, including the 2009 game in which both teams came into the game with 1 loss and the No. 19 Yellow Jackets upset the No. 4 Hokies. The 2011 game also saw both teams ranked in the BCS top 25, with the No. 10 Hokies beating the No. 20 Yellow Jackets.
Georgia Tech is the only conference opponent to win three consecutive games in Lane Stadium against Virginia Tech.
|Georgia Tech victories||Virginia Tech victories|
|1||November 10, 1990||Atlanta, GA||#7 Georgia Tech||6–3|
|2||October 28, 2004||Atlanta, GA||#22 Virginia Tech||34–20|
|3||September 24, 2005||Blacksburg, VA||#4 Virginia Tech||51–7|
|4||September 30, 2006||Blacksburg, VA||Georgia Tech||38–27|
|5||November 1, 2007||Atlanta, GA||#13 Virginia Tech||27–3|
|6||September 13, 2008||Blacksburg, VA||Virginia Tech||20–17|
|7||October 17, 2009||Atlanta, GA||#19 Georgia Tech||28–23|
|8||November 4, 2010||Blacksburg, VA||Virginia Tech||28–21|
|9||November 10, 2011||Atlanta, GA||#10 Virginia Tech||37–26|
|10||September 3, 2012||Blacksburg, VA||#16 Virginia Tech||20–17OT|
|11||September 26, 2013||Atlanta, GA||Virginia Tech||17–10|
|12||September 20, 2014||Blacksburg, VA||Georgia Tech||27–24|
|13||November 12, 2015||Atlanta, GA||Virginia Tech||23–21|
|14||November 12, 2016||Blacksburg, VA||Georgia Tech||30–20|
|15||November 11, 2017||Atlanta, GA||Georgia Tech||28–22|
|16||October 25, 2018||Blacksburg, VA||Georgia Tech||49–28|
|Series: Virginia Tech leads 9–7|
See also Edit
- ↑ "Photos: Looking back at 'The Battle of the Techs'". Cox Enterprises. https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/photos-looking-back-the-battle-the-techs/SgsxNTo6ij3cDFW3az5jHP/#2. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- ↑ "The Battle of The ACC Techs: Hokies vs. Yellow Jackets". SB Nation. https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018/10/24/18018638/the-battle-of-the-acc-techs-virginia-tech-hokies-vs-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-football. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- ↑ Chirinos, Christy Cabrera. "No. 7 Hurricanes clinch first ACC Coastal Division championship". http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-sp-um-hurricanes-notes-20171111-story.html. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- ↑ "Hokie tackle relishes rematch". Roanoke.com. November 3, 2010. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/266114. Retrieved November 3, 2010.
- ↑ Osborne, Matt. ""Battle of the Techs" Still has Meaning". http://www.southernpigskin.com/acc/battle-of-the-techs-still-has-meaning/. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- ↑ Sugiura, Ken. "Georgia Tech trying to keep run going vs. Hokies". Cox Enterprises. https://www.myajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-trying-keep-run-going-hokies/93f1KhL3pHs5cM1dpi4KDM/. Retrieved 26 October 2018.