|Born:||January 16, 1967|
Siler City, North Carolina
|High school:||Siler City (NC) Jordan-Matthews|
|Career highlights and awards
George Edwards (born January 16, 1967) is an American football coach who is currently the defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League (NFL). He has also served as a defensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins of the NFL.
Edwards attended Duke University, where he was a four-year letterman for Duke Blue Devils football team. He was a two-year special teams captain and an honorable mention All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) selection at linebacker in 1989.
Edwards' first coaching job came at Florida, where he was an assistant in 1991. He also held assistant jobs at Appalachian State (1992–1995), Duke (1996) and Georgia (1997). At Georgia in 1997, Edwards tutored Richard Seymour and Marcus Stroud, who were both selected in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft.
Edwards held the position of linebackers coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 1998 to 2001. Linebacker Dexter Coakley was selected to two Pro Bowls under Edwards tutelage and led the team in tackles all four seasons in that span.
In 2002, Edwards moved on to the Washington Redskins under the title of Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers coach. That season linebacker LaVar Arrington had his most productive career year, recording 107 tackles and 11 quarterback sacks to earn a Pro Bowl selection. Each of the team's three starting linebackers - Arrington, Jessie Armstead and Jeremiah Trotter - surpassed 100 tackles that season.
The following season, Edwards was promoted to the role of defensive coordinator. The team had two Pro Bowlers on defense that season - Arrington and cornerback Champ Bailey.
Edwards served as linebackers coach for the Cleveland Browns for one season in 2004.
After his stint in Cleveland, Edwards became linebackers coach of the Miami Dolphins under first-year head coach Nick Saban. He served in that capacity for five seasons and was one of only two members of the coaching staff retained after Cam Cameron was fired after the 2007 season. Edwards left Miami to become the University of Florida defensive coordinator. Weeks later, he left Florida and accepted a job as defensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills.
On February 4, 2010, the Buffalo Bills confirmed that Edwards accepted the job as the Buffalo Bills' defensive coordinator, replacing Perry Fewell. He was fired on January 2, 2012, and replaced by Dave Wannstedt.
On January 30, 2012, Edwards was named linebackers coach for the Miami Dolphins under defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle and head coach Joe Philbin. This is his second stint with the Dolphins as a position coach.
On January 16, 2014, Edwards was hired by the Minnesota Vikings to be their defensive coordinator under first-year head coach, Mike Zimmer. Edwards and Zimmer had previously worked together from 1998–2000 for the Dallas Cowboys on defense.
- Beard, Franz (January 7, 2010). "Gators Hire Edwards As DC". Gator Country. http://www.gatorcountry.com/football/article/confirmed_gators_hire_edwards_as_dc/8078.
- Smith, Michael David (January 2, 2012). "Bills Fire Edwards, Promote Wannstedt to Defensive Coordinator". NBC Sports. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/bills-fire-edwards-promote-wannstedt-to-defensive-coordinator/. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Mansour, A.J. (January 16, 2014). "Vikings Reportedly Hire George Edwards To Fill Defensive Coordinator Role". KFAN.com. http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikingsblog.html?article=11979222. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "2014 NFL Team Defensive Stats". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_SCORED&tabSeq=2&season=2014&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "2015 NFL Team Defensive Stats". National Football League. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2015&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
|Current defensive coordinators of the National Football League|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|