Chryst played at the linebacker position at Princeton University, where he also played on the baseball team. He first became a coach at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 1987. While there, he also helped at the Chicago Bears training camp. In 1988, he was a coach with the Wisconsin Badgers before spending the next two years as the quarterbacks coach of the Wyoming Cowboys. He served as the wide receivers and running backs coach of the Orlando Thunder of the World League of American Football in 1991, before playing with the team the following year as a long snapper, along with serving as a quality control coach with the Chicago Bears. Chryst remained with the Bears through 1995, when he left to spend three seasons with the Arizona Cardinals as a tight ends coach and quarterbacks coach. From there, he served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the San Diego Chargers in 1999 and 2000 before returning to Cardinals as the quarterbacks coach. After two seasons away from the NFL, he spent five seasons as the tight ends coach and offensive quality control coach of the Carolina Panthers before being hired by the 49ers.
Chryst is the brother of Pittsburgh Panthers head coach Paul Chryst and former Mid-American Conference commissioner Rick Chryst. Their father, George, was an assistant at Wisconsin and then became the head coach and athletic director at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. He had a 79-60-2 record there before passing away suddenly in 1992. George Chryst hired Bo Ryan as the basketball coach, and Ryan guided the Pioneers to four NCAA III national championships.
- Bachelor's Degree - History, Princeton University
- Master's Degree - Educational Administration, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- ↑ http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=213070038&targetid=profile
- ↑ "Geep Chryst". San Francisco 49ers. http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/geep-chryst/3ac62f4d-a289-46f6-bc9f-031f34771f8c. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- ↑ "Q&A with 49ers quarterback coach Geep Chryst". The Press Democrat. http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/02/inside-the-49ers/qa-with-49ers-quarterbacks-coach-geep-chryst/. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
|Current quarterbacks coaches of the National Football League|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|
|* = Quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator|