|Date of birth:July 29, 1952|
|Place of birth: Rockville Centre, New York|
|College: Boston College|
|NFL Draft: 1974 / Round: 3 / Pick: 70|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Buffalo Bills ( 1974– 1977)|
|Career highlights and awards|
The first pass that Marangi ever threw in the NFL was a touchdown to JD Hill in a game against the Miami Dolphins, in 1974.
Marangi played football at Boston College from 1971-1973. He completed 235 of 447 passes for 2,739 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions. Although Boston College was 20-13 during Marangi's tenure, including a 9-2 sophomore season, the Eagles never made it to a bowl game.
Marangi was selected by the Bills in the 3rd Round (70th pick overall) of the 1974 NFL Draft. He was the backup quarterback in 1974, behind Joe Ferguson. He appeared in 3 games, completing 9 of 18 passes for 140 yards, 2 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. The first pass that Marangi ever threw in the NFL was a touchdown to JD Hill in a game against the Miami Dolphins, in 1974. In 1975, he appeared in 5 games, completing 13 of 33 passes for 235 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. In 1976, Joe Ferguson was leading all quarterbacks in most statistical categories going into the 7th game against the New England Patriots, Ferguson sustained a back injury and was sidelined for the season. Marangi replaced him and finished the season completing only 82 of 232 passes (35.3%) for 998 yards, 7 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. His 35.3 completion percentage is the worst all-time completion in a season (minimum 200 attempts).
Marangi is currently a Dean of Patchogue-Medford High School in Medford, New York., where he is currently the head football coach. Prior to that he was the quarterbacks coach at Connetquot High School also the offensive coordinator at Sachem High School East. In 2013, he was named the New York Jets Tri-State Area Coach of the Week after a 31-7 victory over Floyd.
- ↑ Schatz, Aaron. "It's Another Falling Leaf". ESPN.com. ESPN.com. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schatz/050812&num=3. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- ↑ Pro-football-reference.com blog » Fun QBs
- ↑ http://www.pat-med.k12.ny.us/schools/hs/faculty/index.htm
- ↑ http://recruit-match.ncsasports.org/fasttrack/client/RecruitingProfile.do?method=getProfileForPrint&clientID=19086&u=
- ↑ Gregg Sarra, "Patchogue-Medford's Gary Marangi wins Jets high school coach of the week award", Newsday, October 2, 2013: http://www.newsday.com/sports/high-school/football/patchogue-medford-s-gary-marangi-wins-jets-high-school-coach-of-the-week-award-1.6186460 . Retrieved November 11, 2014.