|League||Canadian Junior Football League|
|Division||Prairie Football Conference|
|Colours||White and Navy Blue|
|Home field||Clarke Stadium|
The Edmonton Wildcats (formerly the Edmonton Maple Leafs) are Canadian football team based in Edmonton, Alberta. The Wildcats play in the Prairie Football Conference, which is part of the Canadian Junior Football League and competes for the league championship, the Canadian Bowl. The team was founded in 1948.
The team was founded as the Edmonton Maple Leafs in 1948, as a member of the Alberta Junior Football League (which was a conference in the Canadian Junior Football League). The Maple Leafs lost the 1951 National Final to the Hamilton Tigers. 1952 marked the second appearance of the Edmonton Wildcats in the national final, resulting in a narrow loss to Windsor AKO Fratmen. In 1958 the team's colors were changed to blue and white from green and gold. Due to the construction of the Commonwealth Stadium in 1976 on the site of the old Wildcat practice field, the Wildcats took up residence at Tiger Goldstick Park in Southeast Edmonton. The team would play its regular season games at Clark Stadium. The Wildcats have been successful in three appearances in the national final. In 1967 they defeated the Burlington Braves in Regina, Saskatchewan . In 1977, the Wildcats defeated the Hamilton Hurricanes in Hamilton, Ontario and in 1983 defeated the Ottawa Sooners in Windsor, Ontario. In 1994, the team moved to its current practice field, Rundle Park. The team made it to the 2006 Canadian Bowl, but lost to the Vancouver Island Raiders. They also were runner up in the 2009 championship game.
- ↑ "Saskatoon Hilltops on Facebook". Facebook. Oct 14, 2012. http://www.facebook.com/TheSaskatoonHilltops. Retrieved Oct 14, 2012.
- ↑ "Edmonton Wildcats on Twitter". Twitter. Oct 14, 2012. https://twitter.com/EWCATS. Retrieved Oct 14 2012.
- ↑ Nugent-Bowman, Daniel (October 12, 2012). "Hilltops put Andreychuk back on active roster Quarterback likely to play in PFC semifinal Sunday". Saskatoon StarPhoenix. http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Hilltops+Andreychuk+back+active+roster/7378062/story.html. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- ↑ Nugent-Bowman, Daniel (September 29, 2012). "Hilltops need victory to stay in thick of fight for". The StarPhoenixSeptember. http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Hilltops+need+victory+stay+thick+fight+first/7319057/story.html. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- ↑ Daum, Evan (October 12, 2012). "Wildcats hunger for a little redemption Edmonton will try to avenge regular-season loss to Saskatoon in Sunday’s PFC semifinal" (digitised online). Edmonton Journal. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Wildcats+hunger+little+redemption/7383647/story.html. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edmonton Wildcats.|