Before 1920, The University of Washington had two mascots, the Indians and Vikings. In 1920, the Associated Students of the University of Washington (ASUW) voted to approve "Sundodger" as its official mascot. The mascot consisted of a smiling figure holding an umbrella, which was probably ahead of its time for 1920. The Sundodger was likely chosen as a tongue-in-cheek allusion to the city of Seattle's rainy weather. In 1922, after deciding that Sundodger was probably a poor idea, the student body held elections for a new mascot.
The issue with the Sundodger name lingered into 1922, when the student body felt that it held little to no meaning, nor was is truly representative of the state of Washington. In 1922, The Husky mascot (a previous runner up in the 1920 election) emerged as the winner.
The Husky was likely chosen due to its relative ease to draw, short name for use in newspapers at the time, and it represented the ferocity of the athletic program. The ASUW felt that The Husky was a true representation of the Seattle area because many viewed Seattle as the "Gateway to the Alaskan frontier", a phrase dating back to the Alaskan Gold Rush.
Dubs (who is the first of his name) became the Husky mascot in 2009. He is an Alaskan Malamute from Burlington, Washington and was born in November 2008. Following tradition, an online vote was conducted at GoHuskies.com for the name. With more than 20,000 votes cast, "Dubs II" was chosen.
Dubs II was officially unveiled as Dubs' successor on March 23, 2018 (National Puppy Day). He had been selected from a group of 90 puppies to become the 14th live mascot for the University of Washington. Dubs continued to fill in as mascot during the 2018 season, with his final performance leading the team out of the tunnel during Senior Day 2018. Dubs II took over at halftime leading the football team out against the Oregon State Beavers.
- "Washington Huskies" (in en-US). http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/2013/4/18/208229209.aspx.
- "Dubs | University of Washington" (in en). https://admit.washington.edu/Admission/Staff/Dubs.
- Goldenshteyn, Maks. "'Dubs' announced as new live UW mascot" (in en). The Daily of the University of Washington. http://www.dailyuw.com/sports/article_c744c860-e228-5c34-8c5a-9b8f2d0d1830.html.
- "Welcome, Puppy Dubs" (in en). https://gohuskies.com/news/2018/3/23/general-welcome-puppy-dubs.aspx.
- "Say Hello To Dubs II, UW's New Mascot" (in en). https://patch.com/washington/seattle/say-hello-dubs-ii-uws-new-mascot.
- "10/10, would cheer with: UW introduces new live mascot, Dubs II, and he is adorable" (in en). https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/10-10-would-cheer-with-uw-introduces-new-live-mascot-dubs-ii-and-he-is-adorable/.
- "DAM RIGHT Seniors close out 2018 home slate with convincing win" (in en). http://www.dailyuw.com/sports/article_ca4a087c-ead7-11e8-a1ed-afb265e234dc.html.
- Pac-12 Networks (2016-08-29), Washington's live mascot Dubs energizes Husky fans, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5oJLfIgifs, retrieved 2017-06-30