|Date of birth:March 9, 1986|
|Place of birth: New York|
|Undrafted in 2008|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|* Dallas Cowboys ( 2008)*|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Early years[edit | edit source]
Davis was born in Jamaica and moved to the United States at age 10. He began playing football while attending high school in New York City. He played high school football as a linebacker and running back at Christopher Columbus High School in The Bronx.  He set the school’s record in September 2003 with 35 carries and 306 rushing yards and scored all of Columbus’ points (2 touchdowns and 2 two-point conversions) in a 16-12 win over Campus Magnet. In October 2004, he was the only Bronx athlete to play for the New York state All-Star team in the 7th annual Governor's Bowl All-Star Football game. Davis had 4 solo tackles in the game and was regarded as "the lockdown corner of the game."
Syracuse University[edit | edit source]
Davis enrolled at Syracuse University in 2004. He played college football at Syracuse from 2004 to 2007. He started 35 consecutive games and totaled 216 tackles for the Orangemen to rank 10th all-time in career tackles by a defensive back at Syracuse. As a sophomore in 2005, Davis was moved to the strong safety position. Davis was a starter at the strong safety position for Syracuse in 2005 and 2006, but he was switched to the cornerback position for the 2007 season. In January 2008, Davis was honored by the Central New York Chapter of the National Football Foundation as the Scholar Athlete of the Year. He was also selected to the Big East Conference All-Academic Team.
Professional career[edit | edit source]
Dallas Cowboys[edit | edit source]
Kansas City Chiefs[edit | edit source]
Detroit Lions[edit | edit source]
Davis was signed to the practice squad of the Detroit Lions on December 16, 2008. Following the season, he was re-signed to a future contract on December 29. The Lions released Davis (by request) on April 16.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Pleasant Surprise, SU Freshman Davis Is A Fast Learner". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). November 9, 2004. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-121783330.html.
- Marcus Henry (September 12, 2003). "Columbus' Davis Likes Orange Mix". Newsday. https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/access/403801061.html?dids=403801061:403801061&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+12%2C+2003&author=Marcus+Henry.+STAFF+WRITER&pub=Newsday+(Combined+editions)&desc=Columbus'++Davis+Likes+Orange+Mix&pqatl=google.
- "Ex-Soccer Player Gets Foot in at Erasmus". New York Daily News. September 14, 2003. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/2003/09/14/2003-09-14_ex-soccer_player_gets_foot_i.html.
- "NY beats NJ in 7th annual Governor's Bowl AllStar Football Game". News 12 Connecticut. October 7, 2004.
- Governor’s Bowl 2004 Wrap-up
- "Davis and Cherundolo to Share Stage at CNY National Football Foundation Dinner". Syracuse University Athletics. January 24, 2008. http://www.suathletics.com/news/2008/1/24/2008cnynff.aspx.
- "SU football players honored academically". northwestohio.com. February 9, 2008. http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=94229#.Tov8eP7Nltk.
- "Dowayne Davis Stats". ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11691/type/college/dowayne-davis. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "Jamaican Davis on football fast track". Daily Orange (Syracuse University). October 12, 2005. http://www.dailyorange.com/2.8655/fball-jamaican-davis-on-football-fast-track-1.1240256#.Tov7Af7Nltk.
- "Orange's Position of Strength, Detail-Oriented Davis Embraces New Challenge". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). October 7, 2005. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137289505.html.
- Paul Myerberg (May 23, 2008). "The Quad Countdown: No. 98 Syracuse". The New York Times (The Quad: The New York Times College Sports Blog). http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/the-quad-countdown-no-98-syracuse/. Retrieved October 4, 2011.
- "Davis Leaves Safety Zone, His Move To Corner Starts Musical Chairs In Secondary". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). August 31, 2007.
- "Penciled Into A Corner, Two-Year Starting Safety Davis Likely To Be Used At Cornerback". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). July 19, 2007. http://business.highbeam.com/950/article-1G1-166602085/penciled-into-corner-twoyear-starting-safety-davis.
- "Defensive backfield adjustment lands Davis at CB for SU, not safety". Daily Orange (Syracuse University). April 23, 2007. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-138234466.html.[dead link]
- "Davis Turns A Corner, Veteran Safety Get A Chance To Kick The Tires At The Position -- Just In Case". The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY). April 22, 2007. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-162487867.html.
- "Dallas Cowboys Transactions". ESPN.com. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/transactions?team=dal. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "NFL Transactions Report - Kansas City Chiefs". nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=&transactionYear=&transactionTeamAbbr=KC&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "NFL Transactions Report - Kansas City Chiefs". nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=&transactionYear=&transactionTeamAbbr=KC&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0. Retrieved 2008-10-21.