|Date of birth:June 17, 1970|
|Place of birth: Fairview, Texas|
|High School: Allen High School|
|Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)||Weight: 295 lb (134 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 1993 / Round: 8 / Pick: 217|
|Debuted in 1994 for the New England Patriots|
|Last played in 1994 for the New England Patriots|
|* New England Patriots (1994)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Douglas C. Skene (born June 17, 1970) is a former American football player.
He played college football for the University of Michigan from 1989 to 1992. He played on the offensive line for Michigan and was coached there by Les Miles. Skene later recalled: "The thing that Les hammered us on was the attention to detail. I never went through more walk-throughs in my entire life and more meetings and detailed study of the opponents than with Les. I felt he was really hard on me, and I told him later that at times I hated him. But looking back on it, he was the best coach of Xs and Os and the best technician I ever had."
Skene was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the eighth round (217th overall pick) of the 1993 NFL Draft. He ended up with the New Orleans Saints and was put on waivers. In November 1993, he was signed by the New England Patriots. He started the first six games of the 1994 NFL season for the Patriots. In his first NFL game, Skene was credited with playing a key role in helping Drew Bledsoe pass for 421 yards to set a franchise record. In an October 1994 game against the Los Angeles Raiders, Skene suffered a career-ending injury to his left knee. He was making a block when 310-pound Chester McGlockton fell on the back of his knee. Skene attempted a comeback in 1995, but he was waived by the Patriots in late August 1995.
- ↑ "University of Michigan All-time Rosters Search Page". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library. http://22.214.171.124/allroster/fbsearch.htm.(Enter Skene's last name on the search page, and press enter)
- ↑ Angelique S. Chengelis (November 18, 2007). "Is Miles Michigan's man? LSU coach, a former U-M player, leads list of candidates". The Detroit News. http://detnews.com/article/20071118/SPORTS0201/711180364/Is-Miles-Michigan-s-man.
- ↑ "Doug Skene". pro-football-reference.com. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SkenDo20.htm.
- ↑ Ed Duckworth (November 4, 1993). "Patriots Journal; A trade gone haywire: Singleton released". Providence Journal. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/projo/access/577132721.html?dids=577132721:577132721&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Nov+04%2C+1993&author=ED+DUCKWORTH&pub=The+Providence+Journal&desc=Patriots+Journal+A+trade+gone+haywire%3A+Singleton+released+Linebacker+was+8th+pick+in+'90%2C+via+Seattle+deal&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Kevin Mannix (August 7, 1994). "Skene leaves Chung off guard". Boston Herald. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/access/68263183.html?dids=68263183:68263183&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+07%2C+1994&author=Kevin+Mannix&pub=Boston+Herald&desc=Skene+leaves+Chung+off+guard&pqatl=google.
- ↑ Steve Conroy and Rich Thompson (September 6, 1994). "PATS NOTES: Dolphins boost Bledsoe". Boston Herald. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/access/68274368.html?dids=68274368:68274368&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+06%2C+1994&author=STEVE+CONROY+and+RICH+THOMPSON&pub=Boston+Herald&desc=PATS+NOTES+Dolphins+boost+Bledsoe&pqatl=google.("Skene played a key role in making Bledsoe the most productive single-game passer in Patriots history.")
- ↑ "Skene injures knee". Boston Herald. October 10, 1994. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/access/68291898.html?dids=68291898:68291898&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Oct+10%2C+1994&author=KEVIN+MANNIX&pub=Boston+Herald&desc=PATRIOTS+NOTES+Skene+injures+knee&pqatl=google.("The Patriots suffered their first major injury of the season yesterday when starting right guard Doug Skene suffered torn ligaments in his left knee.")
- ↑ Jim Greenidge (October 11, 1994). "Skene is lost for season: Torn knee ligament means Chung or Rucci may move in". Boston Globe. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/62022967.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Oct+11%2C+1994&author=Jim+Greenidge%2C+Globe+Staff&pub=Boston+Globe+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&desc=Skene+is+lost+for+season+Torn+knee+ligament+means+Chung+or+Rucci+may+move+in&pqatl=google.
- ↑ "Pitts is sacked by Patriots: Veterans Skene, Walker among other casualties". Boston Globe. August 28, 1995. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/21349006.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+28%2C+1995&author=Jim+Greenidge%2C+Globe+Staff&pub=Boston+Globe+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&desc=Pitts+is+sacked+by+Patriots+Veterans+Skene%2C+Walker+among+other+casualties&pqatl=google.