|Date of birth:||July 5, 1978|
|Place of birth:||Montreal, Quebec|
|University:||Wilfrid Laurier University|
|High school:||Orchard Park Secondary School|
|Playing stats at|
Donald Ruiz (born July 5, 1978) is a retired Canadian Football League player who played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Ottawa Renegades, and Saskatchewan Roughriders from 2001 to 2006 as a free safety.
Ruiz was born in Montreal, Quebec, and grew up in Stoney Creek, Ontario (now Hamilton, Ontario), where he attended Orchard Park Secondary School. He attended university at Wilfrid Laurier University where he played as a defensive halfback for the Golden Hawks and was named the 1999 Ontario University Athletics defensive player of the year.
Ruiz was signed as an undrafted free agent out of university by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2000 and was expected to make the team until he broke his clavicle in a pre-season game. He returned to play another season for the Golden Hawks and made his CFL debut in 2001.
He was selected by the now-defunct Ottawa Renegades in the first round of their expansion draft in 2002. After the Renegades had their operations suspended by the league, the Saskatchewan Roughriders selected him 27th overall in the Ottawa Renegades dispersal draft. He was released by the Roughriders on June 24, 2007, at the end of training camp.
- ↑ "Donnie Ruiz". CFL.ca. Canadian Football League. Archived from the original on May 27, 2011. https://www.webcitation.org/5z040R8lX?url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php/roster/show/id/143.
- ↑ Carter-Smith, Cecelia (April 22, 2000). "Ruiz signs with Blue Bombers". Hamilton Spectator: p. E.04. https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/447989051.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Apr+22%2C+2000&author=Cecelia+Carter-Smith&pub=The+Spectator&desc=Ruiz+signs+with+Blue+Bombers&pqatl=google. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- ↑ Pollard, Dave (September 9, 2000). "Face fourth-ranked Laurier in today's season opener ; Gryphons like it tough". Guelph Daily Mercury: p. B.3. https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/446004351.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+09%2C+2000&author=Pollard%2C+Dave&pub=The+Guelph+Mercury&desc=Face+fourth-ranked+Laurier+in+today%27s+season+opener+%3B+Gryphons+like+it+tough&pqatl=google. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- ↑ Rivet, Christine (July 24, 2000). "Bad break for Ruiz is good break for Hawks; Defensive standout for Laurier returning after injury playing for Winnipeg Blue Bombers". Kitchener Record: p. D.04. https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/433292471.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jul+24%2C+2000&author=Christine+Rivet&pub=Waterloo+Region+Record&desc=Bad+break+for+Ruiz+is+good+break+for+Hawks%3B+Defensive+standout+for+Laurier+returning+after+injury+playing+for+Winnipeg+Blue+Bombers&pqatl=google. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- ↑ "Renegades begin building at CFL expansion draft". CBC.ca. January 17, 2002. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/01/17/renegades020117.html. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- ↑ "Joseph and Armstead to Riderville". CFL.ca. Canadian Football League. April 12, 2006. Archived from the original on May 27, 2011. https://www.webcitation.org/5z06Wgtj7?url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/joseph_and_armstead_to__riderville_.
- ↑ "Roughriders attempt to replace Keith". The Globe and Mail. June 24, 2007. Archived from the original on May 27, 2011. https://www.webcitation.org/5z06jU4iv?url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/roughriders-attempt-to-replace-keith/article737466/print/.
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian football defensive back is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|