| File:Don Dohoney.png |
Dohoney from "The 1954 Wolverine"
|Born:||March 4, 1932|
|Died:||July 4, 1993 (aged 61)|
|College||Michigan State College|
|Career highlights and awards|
Donald Clay Dohoney (March 4, 1932 – July 4, 1993) was an American football player. He grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and played college football at Michigan State College. He played both on offense and defense at the end position, was captain of Michigan State's 1953 team that won the Big Ten Conference championship and defeated UCLA in the 1954 Rose Bowl. Dohoney was a consensus selection on the 1953 College Football All-America Team.
In March 1954, Dohoney signed with the Chicago Cardinals of the National Football League (1954). Chicago coach Joe Stydahar called Dohoney "the best defensive end developed in college ball in a great many years. He rushes the passer real good, plays the running game well and is one of the most rugged players we've seen." In June 1954, he was added to the lineup of college all-stars who played the NFL champion Detroit Lions in the annual Chicago College All-Star Game. According to records of Pro-Football-Reference.com, Dohoney did not appear in any regular season games in the NFL.
- ↑ "UCLA Set for Michigan State's Rose Bowl Invasion". The Stars and Stripes: p. 13. December 22, 1953.("The mainstay on the line is captain Don Dohoney, named end on the United Press All America team for his great offensive and defensive play.")
- ↑ "2014 NCAA Football Records: Consensus All-America Selections". National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2014. p. 6. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2014/Awards.pdf. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- ↑ "Football Cardinals Sign MSC's Dohoney". Stars and Stripes: p. 13. March 2, 1954.
- ↑ "Dohoney Joins All Stars". Stars and Stripes: p. 13. June 25, 1954.
- ↑ "Search for "dohoney"". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/search/search.fcgi?search=dohoney&results=.
- ↑ Michigan Department of Vital and Health Records. Michigan, Deaths, 1971-1996 [database on-line]. Donald C Dohoney, born 4 Mar 1932, died 4 Jul 1993, residence Meridian, Ingham, Michigan, place of death Meridian, Ingham, Michigan.