McCluster receives an award in April 2010.
|No. 22 Kansas City Chiefs|
|Running back/Return specialist/Wide Receiver|
|Date of birth:August 25, 1988|
|Place of birth: Largo, Florida|
|High School: Largo (FL)|
|Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)||Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 2 / Pick: 36|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Kansas City Chiefs|
|Roster status: Active|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Dexter Marquise McCluster (born August 25, 1988) is an American football running back for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Ole Miss. He was considered one of the top athlete prospects for the 2010 NFL Draft. He was selected in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs on April 23, 2010.
High school careerEdit
McCluster attended Largo High School in Largo, Florida where he was an honor roll student and where he lettered in football, basketball and track & field. He was a state qualifier in the long jump and in the high jump. In football, his junior season, he rushed for 1,424 yards and 14 touchdowns. As a senior in leading the Largo Packers to the 2005 District Championship, he rushed for 2,490 yards and 39 touchdowns. Also as a senior, he was named to the First Team All-State 5A by the Florida Sports Writers Association and named All-Suncoast Player of the Year by the St. Petersburg Times Mr.2000. McCluster was selected Most Valuable Player in the Florida Athletic Coaches Association North-South Football All- Star Classic game.
As a true freshman in 2006, McCluster started five of the first six games before suffering an injury. He finished the season with 15 receptions for 232 receiving yards, 68 rushing yards on eight attempts and two touchdowns. As a sophomore in 2007 he played in the final eight games of the year after missing the first four due to the injury. He finished with 326 yards on 27 receptions and 63 yards on 6 rushing attempts with two touchdowns. As a junior in 2008 he earned second team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press after rushing for 655 yards on 109 attempts and 44 receptions for 625 yards with seven touchdowns.
McCluster's senior season was full of highlights as he set two school records against Tennessee for rushing yards in a game with 282 and all purpose yards in a game with 324. In his final game in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, he ran for 148 yards and threw the only collegiate touchdown pass of his career in the 25-23 win over then 9th-ranked LSU. He rushed for 1,169 yards on 181 attempts (a 6.4 yards per carry average), and made 44 receptions for 520 yards with 12 total touchdowns that made him the only player in SEC history to rush for over 1,000 yards and receive for 500 yards in a single season. He finished his college career at Ole Miss with 3,685 yards from scrimmage and 23 TD's.
|<center> Team||<center> Att||<center> Yards||<center> AVG||<center> LG||<center> TD|
|2006||Ole Miss Rebels||8||68||8.5||31||1|
|2007||Ole Miss Rebels||6||63||10.5||29||0|
|2008||Ole Miss Rebels||109||655||6.0||40||6|
|2009||Ole Miss Rebels||181||1169||6.5||86||8|
|<center> Year||<center> Team||<center> Rec||<center> Yards||<center> AVG||<center> LG||<center> TD|
|2006||Ole Miss Rebels||15||232||15.5||49||1|
|2007||Ole Miss Rebels||27||326||12.1||46||2|
|2008||Ole Miss Rebels||44||625||14.2||56||1|
|2009||Ole Miss Rebels||44||520||11.8||64||3|
According to CBSSports.com, McCluster was projected to be drafted in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. On April 23, McCluster was drafted 36th overall by the Kansas City Chiefs in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft.
|Height||Weight||40 yd||20 ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad Jump||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 8½ in* ||172 lbs*||4.58* ||4.06s* ||6.87s ||37.5 in* ||9 ft 10 in ||20 reps* ||18 |
Kansas City ChiefsEdit
McCluster signed a $5.15 million, 4 year contract with the Chiefs on July 28, 2010.
McCluster scored his first NFL touchdown in his professional debut on a 94 yard punt return on September 13, 2010 against the San Diego Chargers. The 94 yard return was the longest punt return in Chiefs history. McCluster scored his first rushing NFL touchdown on a run in the season finale of the Chiefs 2011 season.
- ↑ NFL Draft Scout
- ↑ McCluster sets two school records as Ole Miss runs over Tennessee
- ↑ Dexter McCluster #22 RB (1988-08-25). "Dexter McCluster Stats, Splits, News, Photos - Mississippi Rebels - NCAA College Football - ESPN". Espn.go.com. http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=191216. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Dexter McCluster, Mississippi, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com". CBSSports.com. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137461. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Dexter McCluster". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dexter-mccluster?id=497190. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "NFL Events: Combine Top Performers". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "NFL Events: Combine Top Performers". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=5. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "NFL Events: Combine Top Performers". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=2. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "NFL Events: Combine Top Performers". Nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=1. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "Yahoo! Sports - Sports News, Scores, Rumors, Fantasy Games, and more". Sports.yahoo.com. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-gerhart_posts_top_rb_wonderlic_score_html-2010315. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- ↑ "Chiefs announce McCluster, Arenas deals". National Football Post. 28 July 2010. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chiefs-announce-McCluster-Arenas-deals.html. Retrieved 2010-08-03.