|No. 31 Winnipeg Blue Bombers|
|Date of birth:||October 4, 1992|
|Place of birth:||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Status:||6-game injured list|
|High school:||Edmonton (AB) Austin O'Brien|
|CFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 5 / Pick: 44|
|Drafted by:||Calgary Stampeders|
|Playing stats at|
Dexter Janke (born October 4, 1992) is a Canadian football defensive back for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He previously played amateur football for the Okanagan Sun and attended the University of Saskatchewan, where he played for the Saskatchewan Huskies as a running back.
Early career Edit
Janke played high school football at Austin O'Brien Catholic High School for three years as a running back. As a junior, he suffered a torn ACL. Janke made it to the city championships in his final year with the team, but he again tore his ACL in the championship game. He received an offer from the University of Calgary to play college football for the Calgary Dinos as both a running back and defensive back, but elected to play solely as a running back for the Saskatchewan Huskies instead. As a result of his second ACL injury, Janke sat out the 2010 season as a redshirt. In 2011, he rushed for 307 yards and four touchdowns, but Janke was sidelined again the following year with a third ACL injury to the same knee. His third reconstructive knee surgery was successful, and he returned to the Huskies in 2013. In 2013, his final year with the Huskies, Janke rushed for 423 yards and four touchdowns.
Janke left the Huskies and joined the Okanagan Sun of the Canadian Junior Football League in 2014. While switching teams, he also switched to the defensive back position. In his only season with Okanagan, Janke recorded 14 tackles, three interceptions, and a fumble recovery while playing in eight games. He also played as a kick and punt returner, averaging 32.9 yards per kick return and 8.3 yards per punt return.
Professional career Edit
Calgary Stampeders Edit
At the regional CFL Combine in Edmonton, Janke had the second-fastest 40-yard dash time at 4.57 seconds. He earned an invitation to the national combine in Toronto, where he recorded the fastest shuttle time among defensive backs at 4.25 seconds. Janke was selected in the fifth round of the 2015 CFL Draft by the Calgary Stampeders with the 44th overall pick. After beginning the season on the practice squad, Janke made his CFL debut on July 24, 2015 against the Ottawa Redblacks, where he played primarily on special teams. In the August 1 game against the Montreal Alouettes, he recorded his first tackle, finishing with two special-teams tackles. He was released by the Stampeders on May 4, 2018.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Moddejonge, Gerry (23 March 2015). "Former Edmonton back Dexter Janke headed to national from combine at Commonwealth fieldhouse". Edmonton Sun. http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/03/23/former-edmonton-back-dexter-janke-headed-to-national-from-combine-at-commonwealth-fieldhouse. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ Frankson, Ryan (19 October 2009). "Bittersweet victory for Falcons". Sherwood Park News. http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/2009/10/19/bittersweet-victory-for-falcons. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Mitchell, Scott (29 May 2015). "Calgary Stampeders DB Dexter Janke has had to fight his way back from three ACL surgeries". Calgary Sun. http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/05/29/calgary-stampeders-db-dexter-janke-has-had-to-fight-his-way-back-from-three-acl-surgeries. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ Larkins, David (10 September 2011). "Saturday thoughts". Winnipeg Sun. http://blogs.canoe.com/thefeed/sports/saturday-thoughts/. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Dexter Janke". http://www.stampeders.com/roster/show/id/8059. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Mitchell, Scott (25 July 2015). "After three ACL surgeries, Calgary Stampeders' Dexter Janke finally gets into CFL game". Calgary Sun. http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/25/after-three-acl-surgeries-calgary-stampeders-dexter-janke-finally-gets-into-cfl-game. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ "Ex-Sun Janke gets look at CFL main combine". Kelowna Capital News. 1 April 2015. http://www.kelownacapnews.com/sports/298203971.html. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ Edwards, Drew (13 May 2015). "Ticats trade draft picks to land Burlington’s Bomben from Als". The Hamilton Spectator. http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5614734-ticats-trade-draft-picks-to-land-burlington-s-bomben-from-als/. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ "Calgary Stampeders vs Montreal Alouettes (1 August 2015)". http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/12893. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- ↑ CFL Transactions 2018
- ↑ "Bombers sign Williams, Janke". February 7, 2019. https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-canadian-defensive-back-dexter-janke-to-deal-1.1253795.