|Michigan Wolverines — No. 48|
|Date of birth:September 9, 1992|
|Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)||Weight: 220 lb (100 kg; 15 st 10 lb)|
|High school: West Ottawa|
|*2013 Outback Bowl|
|Career highlights and awards|
Desmond Morgan (born September 9, 1992) is an American football linebacker is playing his sophomore season in 2012 for the Michigan Wolverines football team. He was a 2011 ESPN.com and BTN.com Big Ten All-Freshman selection as well as a 2011 College Football News All-Freshman honorable mention for the 2011 team.
In high school, he was rated as the 24th and 42nd best high school football inside or middle linebacker in the national class of 2011 by ESPN and Scout.com, respectively. Rivals.com rated him as the 25th best football player in the state of Michigan. Morgan also played quarterback in high school. Morgan was a Michigan Wolverines fan growing up, and he committed to Michigan in early February 2011.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
| Desmond Morgan|
|Holland, Michigan||West Ottawa (MI)||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)||225 lb (102 kg)||4.675|| Dec 23,|
|Scout: Rivals: ESPN grade: 78|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 42 (MLB) Rivals: 25 (MI) ESPN: 24 (ILB)|
| Note: In many cases, Scout and Rivals may conflict in their listings of height and weight.|
In these cases, an average of the two was taken. ESPN grades are on a 100-point scale.
Morgan tweaked his hamstring at the end of training camp, which limited him early in the season. Morgan is credited with starting the second game against Notre Dame on September 10, however, he struggled with his hamstring in the rivalry game. Brandon Hawthorne started the next five games. After seven games and a bye week, Morgan replaced Hawthorne as the starting weak-side linebacker based on superior performance. In announcing Morgan's promotion to the starting lineup, head coach Brady Hoke said, "Desmond's got a great future. He's doing a lot of good things. We're excited about him." In his second career start on October 29, 2011 against Purdue, he had a team-high nine tackles. Morgan established career highs with 10 tackles in both of the final two games of the season: he posted 5 solo (including his only quarterback sack of the season) and five assists on November 26 in The Game against Ohio State and then he had seven solo tackles and three assists in the January 3, 2012 Sugar Bowl against Virginia Tech. For the season, he earned 2011 Big Ten All-Freshman team recognition from both ESPN.com and BTN.com as well as 2011 College Football News All-Freshman honorable mention honors.
On October 13, 2012, Michigan designated Gerald R. Ford's former jersey, No. 48, as a Michigan Football Legend Jersey. Morgan was honored as the first recipient of the Ford legend jersey, switching from the No. 44 jersey to No. 48. He earned Academic All-Big Ten recognition in 2012.
- ↑ "Desmond Morgan". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/125815/desmond-morgan. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ "#48 Desmond Morgan". Scout.com. http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=4810867. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ "Desmond Morgan". Rivals.com. http://rivals.yahoo.com/michigan/football/recruiting/player-Desmond-Morgan-104601. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Desmond Morgan 44". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/morgan_desmond00.html. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Greer, Cris (2010-12-17). "West Ottawa linebacker Desmond Morgan commits to Michigan". Grand Rapids Press. http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-814722536022222825/west-ottawa-linebacker-desmond-morgan-commits-to-michigan/. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Jon Schultz (February 2, 2011). "Desmond Morgan's signing with U-M football adds to growing legacy for Holland area". The Holland Sentinel. http://www.hollandsentinel.com/feature/x1779419552/Desmond-Morgans-signing-with-U-M-football-adds-to-growing-legacy-for-Holland-area.
- ↑ Jeff Chaney (February 1, 2011). "Blizzard won't keep West Ottawa's Desmond Morgan from sending letter of intent to Michigan". The Grand Rapids Press. http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-1176637550465329304/blizzard-wont-keep-west-ottawas-desmond-morgan-from-sending-letter-of-intent-to-michigan/.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Rohan, Tim (2011-10-31). "Notebook: Hoke likes the way Ryan and Morgan play linebacker". Michigan Daily. http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/notebook-ryan-morgan-play-way-hoke-wants-linebacker. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Cunningham, Pete (2011-10-31). "Brady Hoke on Iowa, road games and more from his weekly press conference". AnnArbor.com. http://annarbor.com/sports/um-football/brady-hoke-on-iowa-road-games-and-more-from-his-weekly-press-conference/. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (2011-09-16). "Breaking down how Michigan's position groups are trending, including the big winner: Linebackers". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigan-eastern-michigan-positions-trending-football/?cmpid=RSS_link_um_football. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (2011-10-28). "Michigan's Desmond Morgan to start at linebacker, becoming 5th freshmen to earn pronounced role on defense". AnnArbor.com. http://annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigans-desmond-morgan-to-start-at-linebacker-becoming-5th-freshmen-to-earn-pronounced-role-on-def/. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Alan Babbitt (October 29, 2011). "Desmond Morgan to make second start for Michigan football team vs. Purdue". The Holland Sentinel. http://www.hollandsentinel.com/newsnow/x671078837/Desmond-Morgan-to-make-second-start-for-Michigan-football-team-vs-Purdue.
- ↑ Alan Babbitt (October 30, 2011). "Brady Hoke calls Michigan football's Desmond Morgan 'very instinctive football player'". The Holland Sentinel. http://www.hollandsentinel.com/sports/x1535088802/Brady-Hoke-calls-Desmond-Morgan-a-very-instinctive-football-player.
- ↑ "Team: Michigan: Year: 2011 Thru 12/31/11: Player: Desmond Morgan". National Collegiate Athletic Association. http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2011&org=418&player=44. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Rittenberg, Adam and Brian Bennett (2011-12-13). "ESPN.com's Big Ten All-Freshman team". ESPN. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/41139/espn-coms-big-ten-all-freshman-team-2. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Dienhart, Tom (2011-12-12). "BTN.com’s 2011 Big Ten All-Freshman Team". Big Ten Network. http://btn.com/2011/12/12/btn-coms-2011-big-ten-all-freshman-team/. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Cirminiello, Richard (2011-12-09). "2011 CFN All-Freshman Defensive Team". College Football News. Scout.com. http://cfn.scout.com/2/1137274.html. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ↑ Meinke, Kyle (2012-09-15). "Michigan down 5 starters with Desmond Morgan (head) Stephen Hopkins (hamstring) out against UMass". AnnArbor.com. http://www.annarbor.com/mi/wolverines/2012/09/michigan_down_5_starters_with/#.UFXm8I1lScx. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- ↑ "Ford Named Michigan Football Legend; Morgan to Wear No. 48 Jersey". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. 2012-10-13. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101312aaa.html. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- ↑ "LB wears Gerald Ford's number". ESPN.com. October 13, 2012. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8499517/desmond-morgan-michigan-wolverines-linebacker-awarded-no-48-jersey-former-us-president-gerald-r-ford.
- ↑ "2012 Fall Academic All-Big Ten". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2012-12-06. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/genrel/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012FallAcademicAllBigTen.pdf. Retrieved 2012-12-06.