| File:Dell Morgan 1945.jpg |
Morgan in 1945
|Sport(s)||Football, basketball, baseball|
|Born||February 14, 1900|
|Died||March 3, 1962 (aged 62)|
near Bay City, Texas
|Head coaching record|
146–143–2 (baseball, excluding Austin)
|Accomplishments and honors|
4 Border (1942, 1947–1949)
John O'Dell Morgan (February 14, 1900 – March 3, 1962) was an American football player and coach of football, basketball and baseball. He served as the head football coach at Texas Tech University from 1941 to 1950, compiling a record of 55–49–3. Morgan was also the head basketball coach at Texas Tech from 1931 to 1934, tallying a mark of 42–29. In addition, he was the head baseball coach at Auburn University from 1934 to 1939 and at Rice University from 1953 to 1961, amassing a career college baseball coaching record of 146–143–2.
Morgan was the head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders basketball from 1931 to 1934. During the same time, Morgan also served as an assistant coach to the football team. His record during that time was 42–29. Morgan was later the head coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders football team from 1941 to 1950. During his tenure, he compiled a 55–49–3 record. In four of his last five seasons, he posted a winning record. His best season came in 1941, when his team went 9–2.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Texas Tech Red Raiders (Border Conference) (1941–1950)|
|1941||Texas Tech||9–2||2–0||2nd||L Sun|
|1947||Texas Tech||6–5||4–0||1st||L Sun|
|1949||Texas Tech||7–5||5–0||1st||L Raisin|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game.|
- ↑ COP TOPS MARINES, LEBARON, 37 TO 14 Los Angeles Times, December 3, 1950
- ↑ "2010 Texas Tech Red Raiders Football Media Guide". Lubbock, Texas: Texas Tech University. p. 68. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/text/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2010FBmediasupplement.pdf. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- ↑ "Past Season Results". Texas Tech Athletics. http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/text-m-baskbl-a-pastres.html. Retrieved May 20, 2009.
- ↑ "Texas Tech Hall of Honor". Texas Tech Athletics. http://www.texastech.com/trads/hoh-mp.html. Retrieved May 20, 2009.
- ↑ "Crash Kills Rice Coach Dell Morgan". The Victoria Advocate. Associated Press (Victoria, Texas): p. 6. March 5, 1962. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=SSZSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ujUNAAAAIBAJ&pg=811,2838507. Retrieved April 24, 2011.