|Date of birth:May 17, 1915|
|Place of birth: St. George, Kansas|
|Date of death: February 9, 1998(aged 82)|
|Place of death: Sarasota, Florida|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Canadian Football Hall of Fame|
Dean Griffing (born May 17, 1915 in St. George, Kansas), was a former offensive lineman, coach, and general manager. He played as a centre a center and linebacker for the University of Kansas in 1936. for the Regina Roughriders from 1936–1943, for Toronto Balmy Beach Beachers in 1944, and the Calgary Stampeders from 1945–1947; the last he also part owned. Griffing was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1965. He coached Saskatchewan during the mid-1950s. In 1960-61, Griffing became the first general manager of the Denver Broncos, selected in part because of his known and needed frugality. He was responsible for the team's unappealing brown and yellow uniform and ugly socks, which he had bought secondhand from a high school all-star game. He later worked as special assignment scout for George Halas and the Chicago Bears.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ed Gruver (September 1997). The American Football League: a year-by-year history, 1960-1969. McFarland. pp. 40–. ISBN 978-0-7864-0399-8. http://books.google.com/books?id=qKKK1joc7PcC&pg=PA40. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "St. Charles East honors Bowman for 100th career victory". Daily Herald. January 31, 2011 [last update]. http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20100930/sports/309309874/print/. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "- Dean Griffing". Canadian Football Hall of Fame. 2011 [last update]. http://www.cfhof.ca/page/griffingdean. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 William J. Ryczek; Don Maynard (January 2009). Crash of the Titans: The Early Years of the New York Jets and the AFL. McFarland. pp. 116–. ISBN 978-0-7864-4126-6. http://books.google.com/books?id=-U7R25OhFnUC&pg=PA116. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- ↑ "Dean Griffing Obituary". Beacon News. February 12, 1998. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=BC&p_theme=bc&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB1EEB80B7949BF&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian football offensive lineman is a stub. You can help The American Football Database by expanding it.|